• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Legitimacy!

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else out there have a problem with the professionalism in cycling?? For example, Landis just unleashed a bombshell on the cycling community, however his email with all of the information was a PRIVATE email to the USADA and UCI and some other sources. Of course it was leaked (as is ALWAYS the case in our sport) and the now every person he mentioned is now shrouded in a cloud of doubt. There is zero due process in this news leak, and now one of the classiest riders on the planet (Michael Barry) is now mentioned in the same sentences as dopers like Ricardo Ricco (who was caught red-handed with a new version of a banned substance). Michael Barry was not given the benefit of any legal means before his name was plastered in the mud. In every country's legal system, criminals at least have the benefit of a police investigation before they are publicly arrested, however in cycling it appears that anyone who is even slightly suspected of doping is publicly embarassed BEFORE the benefit of due process (how many times did the AFLD "anonymously" release results of someone's doping before the rider actually found out?).

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this? I think this is an important topic and something that cycling needs to work on, because no other sport on the planet let's its athletes be raked through the mud the way cycling does. I argue that it is a sign of the lowest level of professionalism and integrity and must be stopped because it looks TERRIBLE to the rest of the world. Cycling does the most out of any sports to prevent doping, yet it cannot be the only sport where doping is traditionally so prominent (eg. weightlifting, American football, track and field, etc.).

Please, what are your thoughts? Am I the only one who is concerned with this issue??

Well, the email was also sent to news sites including cyclingnews.com so they can't really be considered to be private.

I agree that it is unfortunate if it turns out that innocent riders are accused but at the same time I think it's good to expose an affair like this if it's actually true and nothing else would get things done. The emails have had the effect that the issue is now being investigated which I'm not sure would have been the case if the accusations had only been done in private.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Toronto Roadie said:
For example, Landis just unleashed a bombshell on the cycling community, however his email with all of the information was a PRIVATE email to the USADA and UCI and some other sources.

Nobody knows who leaked the e-mail, so it would be unfair to rule out anyone in the leaking of the e-mail: Landis included.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Toronto Roadie said:
Does anyone else out there have a problem with the professionalism in cycling?? For example, Landis just unleashed a bombshell on the cycling community, however his email with all of the information was a PRIVATE email to the USADA and UCI and some other sources. Of course it was leaked (as is ALWAYS the case in our sport) and the now every person he mentioned is now shrouded in a cloud of doubt. There is zero due process in this news leak, and now one of the classiest riders on the planet (Michael Barry) is now mentioned in the same sentences as dopers like Ricardo Ricco (who was caught red-handed with a new version of a banned substance). Michael Barry was not given the benefit of any legal means before his name was plastered in the mud. In every country's legal system, criminals at least have the benefit of a police investigation before they are publicly arrested, however in cycling it appears that anyone who is even slightly suspected of doping is publicly embarassed BEFORE the benefit of due process (how many times did the AFLD "anonymously" release results of someone's doping before the rider actually found out?).

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this? I think this is an important topic and something that cycling needs to work on, because no other sport on the planet let's its athletes be raked through the mud the way cycling does. I argue that it is a sign of the lowest level of professionalism and integrity and must be stopped because it looks TERRIBLE to the rest of the world. Cycling does the most out of any sports to prevent doping, yet it cannot be the only sport where doping is traditionally so prominent (eg. weightlifting, American football, track and field, etc.).

Please, what are your thoughts? Am I the only one who is concerned with this issue??

Welcome back. :rolleyes:

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
La Vie Claire said:
What does Floyd have against a stand-up guy like Mike Barry? To hell with due process for the others. :rolleyes:

Maybe he's doping?? Ever thought of that. :rolleyes:

And this coming from a Canadian that loves seeing Tuft, Ryder and Barry racing over in Europe. But even Ryder has made me raise my eyebrows in wonder. :confused:

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
When we join a UCI club we are required to signe an anti doping policy agreement that we will appeal all decisions to either WADA or CAS.

This then prevents us from action in the Federal and county courts under privacy legleslation .
We are not under our own Countries laws but whatever country we are in at the time.

Many lawyers have advised against this process it is biased and alows a lot of useless data to be released that would not dare be released if the matter was set down is a proper court.

They would be imprisoned for contempt is they disclosed any material that pre empts the case before a Proper Judge.

Get rid of the Kangeroo courts and bring back proper hearings inosent untill proven guilty.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
the email had to be released to the news - reading between the lines it looks like USADA were planning on brushing it under the carpet (as usual)

TRENDING THREADS