• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leipheimer downplays chances at Kindergarten race, takes lead

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Is really weird to see Leecheimer ahead of the other riders! specially ahead of someone like Mancebo :p

Well good for him... something is something... Now I know that sometimes He tries something different of sucking wheel big time...! :p

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Why all the hate. Utah is a difficult race. You know hard racing actually happens outside of pro-tour events, aswell. I bet you've never seen a bike race in your life?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BH
I agree there is a lot of vitriol about American races and racers.
American racing is a lot closer to the speed and often even harder than Euro races. The gap has closed a lot and it is a shame how N Am riders have such an inferiority complex

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
BH
American racing is a lot closer to the speed and often even harder than Euro races. The gap has closed a lot and it is a shame how N Am riders have such an inferiority complex

Not only cycling in Canada and USA but even races outside pro-tour level get knocked by idiots on this forum. And anyone who knows anything about bike racing knows that the races that you need to do to get to pro-tour level are savage, fast and ruthless.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Why all the hate. Utah is a difficult race. You know hard racing actually happens outside of pro-tour events, aswell. I bet you've never seen a bike race in your life?

a bike you say? a bike? mmmm aaaaa bike? nah I don't know what is that...

I'm not questioning the race... I'm just making fun from Leecheimerz... nothing new... but you have to accept that is kind of weird to see Levi attacking... :D bah... I was expecting that Mancebo could take this ToU easily but Levi with 56secs ahead and tomorrow a TT... I think that this is done... unless that Levi bonk big time the last day...

Master50 said:
BH
Brent Bookwalter just finished 11th on a mountain stage. And you'll have us believe that this is anywhere close to Euro racing?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
If you're not interested in the race then don't comment on it I'd say.

It looks an interesting race, certainly more interesting than some other N. American races (Tour of California being one) and a lot of European races.

Shame it's not a stronger field as it looks a pretty good test. It could make a decent 2.1 race I reckon

I agree with the good Reverend.

Looks like on it's own level it's a very good race and could be elevated to something bigger - with a little help.

...But then again, isn't that part of the argument? That because the competition is at one level, and Levi normally races at another, it's sort of like Alberto Puljols deciding he's going to play a few games for a double A baseball team just for fun?

Or, is Levi showing up and winning such a thing going to help elevate the race to something bigger?

It's an interesting debate.

Reverend_T_Preedy said:
If you're not interested in the race then don't comment on it I'd say.

It looks an interesting race, certainly more interesting than some other N. American races (Tour of California being one) and a lot of European races.

Shame it's not a stronger field as it looks a pretty good test. It could make a decent 2.1 race I reckon
The Anglosaxon wall of defense against anything being said about any race overseas strikes again. This actually seems to be quite an interesting race, but that's not what I was talking about.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The Anglosaxon wall of defense against anything being said about any race overseas strikes again. This actually seems to be quite an interesting race, but that's not what I was talking about.

Enough with the Anglosaxon crap!! The comment was spot on...if you don't like it don't watch or comment. This OPs kindergarden comment was stupid...end of story.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's like saying soccer doesn't matter anywhere else but Europe because that's where the best players play?? Doesn't the OP understand all top pros come up through the ranks riding races like Utah etc. Or is he/she so blinded by hate for Levi to the detrement of all other racers in the race, that he needs to get a life. It's bike racing not a war !!

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
It's like saying soccer doesn't matter anywhere else but Europe because that's where the best players play?? Doesn't the OP understand all top pros come up through the ranks riding races like Utah etc. Or is he/she so blinded by hate for Levi to the detrement of all other racers in the race, that he needs to get a life. It's bike racing not a war !!

Hmm the best footballers often don't come from Europe yet from southern-america and Africa. And SAmerican competition can be placed almost as high as the Europen football(we call it football even in English :D) level.
I'd say a lot of racers from these smaller american teams could compete rather well in Europe in 1. and 2. races. Protour seems too hard though.
That said, a rider like Levi shouldn't blow everyone away in a smaller race. He doesn't give racers a chance to win. A former TdF podium finisher, if he competes in these smaller races, should imo just follow. It's like Frank VDB winning the Belcanto classic.

A lot of quickly offended people...

The race is great and fun. It would be really nice if there were more big names over there as it's a nice parcours, but atm the field of riders isn't that strong.
So no, it's not a really impressive win by Leipheimer. Allthough outracing Mancebo on a mountain is ofcourse a good effort.

So putting it in perspective the OP maybe was a bit childish, but also a bit right. Allthough he obviously isn't a fan of Leipheimer.

Did some of you folks not read the thread title? It is a clear invite to criticise Levi for entering the race and beating a low quality field.
The obviously strong parcours are not in question.

Look: A lot of time was spent in June debating which was the better GT, the Giro or the Tour.
The vast majority of posters supporting the Tour over the Giro used, the quality of the respective fields, being paramount in justifying their standpoint, while acknowledging the Giro's better parcours.

So, while the route may be something that California can only dream about, the strength of the startlist is clearly, weak.

Personally, I would have like to see the UCI putting the effort in building up this stager into something special, instead of throwing their weight behind the new, Colorado event.
Utah could well end up on the scrap heap, as a result.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
same old Levi style wheelsuck then jump away once a weasel always a weasel.

“Mancebo did all the work and I sat behind with a grimacing look on my face,” Leipheimer said. “I guess he thought I was serious so he did all the work and brought back Darren. It was Darren, Phil, Boswell, Mancebo and myself. We kind of looked at each other and Mancebo hit it hard on one of the pitches. Then I went alone.”

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
As for the race itself, it has to start somewhere and there is a lot of potential vis a vis the topography in the Rockies but having seen what happened with Georgia and Missouri (and in fact this race may have skipped a year if I remember correctly) I have my fingers crossed.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Compared to other six-day stage races, including those in Europe, the parcours is pretty damn good. With the exception of the June pre-tour buildups, the route is about as difficult as most Euro tours.

The field isn't as strong, but you can never expect the likes of Landis and Boonen to show up at a race where you need a membership card to buy 3.2% beer.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
If this race could earn a bigger level or ProTour We would see big names there, cuz this race could be used as a good preparation for La Vuelta... I have learned that some of this climbs are quite steep, aren't they? so more points for ToU, cuz in La Vuelta the climbs are really steep...

TRENDING THREADS