• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leopold Konig discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
VeloHuman said:
Two Grand Tours, two Top 10s and a stage win. Really impressive. NetApp/Bora should go all out to keep him.

NetApp/Bora stated that they want to concentrate on young German or Austrian riders......Konig and others are too costly already, they said....

Another thing is Leo's career. If he wants to be among the best, he has to step it up and leave his current team......what he has gained from coming to the second-class team from the third-class team, is likely to happan again when he joins his next.........

There is no doubting Leo Konig's talent but I find him abit too full of himself on TV....even a little arrogant

Not sure if this is a good thing or not for a rider

It means he is very determined and confident but on the otherhand he may not find it easy if his trail to the top is not smooth

Maybe that level of self belief means he will win

Why does he not get on with Talansky .....are they too alike ??

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
inthepink said:
There is no doubting Leo Konig's talent but I find him abit too full of himself on TV....even a little arrogant

It means he is very determined and confident but on the otherhand he may not find it easy if his trail to the top is not smooth

Arrogance can be both good and bad IMO. It's not good if it makes a rider not respectful of his competitors. I definitely think though that large part of bike racing and being a successful bike racer is believing your the biggest bad @ss to ever throw your leg over a bike.

Very happy to see him move up to 7th from 9th. Top notch performance today. I've grown to like him more and more ever since the Vuelta. :)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
inthepink said:

Not sure what TV interview you are referring to but from what I have seen and read on daily basis through some of the Czech media over the last few weeks I dont think that he is full of himself or even arrogant.

Also, from the few minutes I spent talking to him last year in California my opinion is quite the opposite of yours and I think that he is or at least was at that point a very humble guy.

As per Talansky, I dont think there is anything other than the one incident where Talansky crashed and took him down. Obviously he was ****ed about it and called Talansky an idiot.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope he's to stick with Bora, if not, then I'd see Orica as a good choice (as they lack of a true GT rider; but they would have to adapt the training programme to fit the needs of GT contender - as High altitude mountain camps atc)

It is a pity for NetApp that, as a second division team, their biggest successes guarantee the loss of their best rider. I'd love to see Konig stay there - they will devote the entire team to him, and they would surely get whatever invites they want. That's much better for his palmares than going to a WT team where another GC rider is ahead in the queue. But the pocket ultimately counts for more than palmares, so I just hope he goes to a WT team where he won't primarily be working for someone else.

He must be really careful with the team he chooses, because if he'll end up at Sky, Tinkoff or Omega, for example, really bad choice.

He stated that he'd like to win a GT, not necessarily le tour, so I guess BMC would be a very good team for him, so Van Garderen goes all in to le tour and Konig will get a shot on Giro. It's less pressure on him.

Damn fine ITT from Konig:

052-PIC485296315.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Konig has been progressing very well over the yrs.
Very much impressed by him over the past 2 yrs.

I think tht he shud choose whichever team gets the 18th license.

At 27, he can afford to work for someone else for max 2yrs. After that he shud be the natural leader of the team.

I dont mind him going to a well-established team for a yr or two to further develop his skills.

As far as teams go, i think he shud go to OGE, OPQS, etc who dont really have a strong GC rider, but with a decent team support.
BMC/Tinkof/Katusha/AST(if nibali/Aru is quitting)/Europcar are second best.

The strict no go is Sky. He will end up as just a dom.

murali said:
Konig has been progressing very well over the yrs.
Very much impressed by him over the past 2 yrs.

I think tht he shud choose whichever team gets the 18th license.

At 27, he can afford to work for someone else for max 2yrs. After that he shud be the natural leader of the team.

I dont mind him going to a well-established team for a yr or two to further develop his skills.

As far as teams go, i think he shud go to OGE, OPQS, etc who dont really have a strong GC rider, but with a decent team support.
BMC/Tinkof/Katusha/AST(if nibali/Aru is quitting)/Europcar are second best.

The strict no go is Sky. He will end up as just a dom.

BMC should have some free cash with Evans probably going soon and Thor gone. But they seem to be putting all their faith in TJVG at the moment. I think Konig is a big talent and would be a probable BMC team leader at the Giro if they signed him. Talentwise I think they are pretty close but Konig seems to be more of a fighter maybe a bit tougher. Lotto would be a good fit too I think as I don't think VDB is going to win a grand tour by the looks of things. Katusha the same as Rodriguez is getting towards the end of his career and the GT opportunities have probably gone for him as well. 2012 was probably his best chance.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
doubleaspect said:
And there's Talansky in Garmin he does not get along with.

No need to make it some kind of sensation, that's work for journalists. There wew some emotions, understandably, and it'd all settle down if they are teammates. Hey, you don't have to look to far for comparison - last year Tinkov and Riis couldn't stand each other, this year they look almost like best friends :)

movingtarget said:
BMC should have some free cash with Evans probably going soon and Thor gone. But they seem to be putting all their faith in TJVG at the moment. I think Konig is a big talent and would be a probable BMC team leader at the Giro if they signed him. Talentwise I think they are pretty close but Konig seems to be more of a fighter maybe a bit tougher. Lotto would be a good fit too I think as I don't think VDB is going to win a grand tour by the looks of things. Katusha the same as Rodriguez is getting towards the end of his career and the GT opportunities have probably gone for him as well. 2012 was probably his best chance.

Agree about Katusha and Lotto.

Lotto might get something out of Wellens longer term but until that happens Konig could fill the gap.

What about Chernetskii on Katusha. A possible player in GTs? If not they gotta find a replacement for the J-Rod/Moreno plan shortly imo.

A two pronged model for the tour could make BMC a much better contender.

Etixx all the way. They have already some Czech riders on their team with Stybar and Vakoc and are owned by Bakala. He also would have a shot at one GT, depending on what Uran wants to ride. But I am afraid that is just wishful thinking.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Akuryo said:
Etixx all the way. They have already some Czech riders on their team with Stybar and Vakoc and are owned by Bakala. He also would have a shot at one GT, depending on what Uran wants to ride. But I am afraid that is just wishful thinking.
Not a bad idea either.Uran is very likely to do Tour next year,and Konig should aim Giro-Vuelta for podium.Very good itt team,couple of climbers,lot of money.

Only difficulty is Kwia,but hell,I hope next year he won't target any GT:eek:

Dazed and Confused said:

Lotto might get something out of Wellens longer term but until that happens Konig could fill the gap.

What about Chernetskii on Katusha. A possible player in GTs? If not they gotta find a replacement for the J-Rod/Moreno plan shortly imo.

Forgot about Wellens. He certainly has a future I think.

ILovecycling said:
Not a bad idea either.Uran is very likely to do Tour next year,and Konig should aim Giro-Vuelta for podium.Very good itt team,couple of climbers,lot of money.

Only difficulty is Kwia,but hell,I hope next year he won't target any GT:eek:

At the moment I see Kwia as more of a Sagan type rider. He is a lot smaller than Sagan so mountains should be easier but as of now I see him as more of classics/short stage race type of rider. He needs to convince in the short stage races before they mark him down as a GT contender. So far he has had a few good results in the shorter ones. I think he has more chance of winning a World Road Title than he does of winning a GT.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
At the moment I see Kwia as more of a Sagan type rider. He is a lot smaller than Sagan so mountains should be easier but as of now I see him as more of classics/short stage race type of rider. He needs to convince in the short stage races before they mark him down as a GT contender. So far he has had a few good results in the shorter ones. I think he has more chance of winning a World Road Title than he does of winning a GT.
Agree on all points bro:)

Konig is a good rider but not as good as everyone here is making out....not as good as Kreuziger ( who if found guilty will be sacked by Tinkoff)

Kreuziger rides very well as domestique ....Not sure Konig would do that
Plus if at TCS will end up working for Contador & Majka ....not sure he would like that...It very hard to get results if you are domestique and almost impossible to get GT lead in that team

Alot of riders rode well in this Tour but if Contador, Quintanta, Froome, Talansky were fully in the race and other riders feeling better like Porte & VdBrook not sure they would look as good

inthepink said:
Konig is a good rider but not as good as everyone here is making out....not as good as Kreuziger ( who if found guilty will be sacked by Tinkoff)

Kreuziger rides very well as domestique ....Not sure Konig would do that
Plus if at TCS will end up working for Contador & Majka ....not sure he would like that...It very hard to get results if you are domestique and almost impossible to get GT lead in that team

Alot of riders rode well in this Tour but if Contador, Quintanta, Froome, Talansky were fully in the race and other riders feeling better like Porte & VdBrook not sure they would look as good

He had an interview in recent days were he stated, he wouldn't mind working as a domestique in GT's, as long as he gets his chances in weeklong stage races.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Akuryo said:
He had an interview in recent days were he stated, he wouldn't mind working as a domestique in GT's, as long as he gets his chances in weeklong stage races.

Thats not what he said.
He never used the words GT and weeklong.

He said that he wouldn't mind working as a domestique, as long as he gets his chances in some big races.

Jancouver said:
Thats not what he said.
He never used the words GT and weeklong.

He said that he wouldn't mind working as a domestique, as long as he gets his chances in some big races.

Okay, I interpretated those words as domestique in GTs and captain in Tirreno-Adriatico, etc. Not sure, what exactly he meant. Maybe he'll get a Horner-role: Domestique in the Tour and captain in the Vuelta?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:

Huh, Katusha sounds like it would be a good team. I've always thought that they could use some other GT/stage racing talent. Would probably have his pick of GT's for the most part and could be there next main man once J-rod's time is up. At 35 now, Rodriguez can't keep going forever.