• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leopold Konig discussion thread

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
This young Czech rider from the second-class team Netapp has been riding without anybody's help, yet he has been keeping up with the best riders on the Tour.

With clumsy Talansky fallling off his bike more often than not, Konig would not have lost some three minutes. Being a good TT rider, he still has a chance to move one or perhaps two places up, provided that no accidents will occur, of course.

Thumbs up for Konig.....

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd say König isn't particularly strong tt, maybe about the same level as the Dutch duo, hardly better - but hope he'll prove the very opposite.

plooton said:
I'd say König isn't particularly strong tt, maybe about the same level as the Dutch duo, hardly better - but hope he'll prove the very opposite.

He's better then Ten Dam for sure. Mollema in his best ITT's was 11th in the Tour last year x2.. so that will be tough

However, Bianchi ITT bikes are not so good. They now received new ones that supposed to be more aerodynamic. But they have not been raced, EVER. The Tour ITT will be the FIRST time that Mollema and Ten Dam will ride with the new bianchi ITT bikes..

So good chance of fail there.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He's better then Ten Dam for sure. Mollema in his best ITT's was 11th in the Tour last year x2.. so that will be tough

However, Bianchi ITT bikes are not so good. They now received new ones that supposed to be more aerodynamic. But they have not been raced, EVER. The Tour ITT will be the FIRST time that Mollema and Ten Dam will ride with the new bianchi ITT bikes..

So good chance of fail there.
Lol,thats pretty stupid idea then:eek:
Edit: thanks for almost secret information

Dekker_Tifosi said:

However, Bianchi ITT bikes are not so good. They now received new ones that supposed to be more aerodynamic. But they have not been raced, EVER. The Tour ITT will be the FIRST time that Mollema and Ten Dam will ride with the new bianchi ITT bikes..So good chance of fail there.

wow. is it confirmed they NEVER even tried the bikes?
a bike company is expected to develop a bike with their sponsored team. and I guess Bianchi did not come up let's say.. in June with the new TT bike project...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
They said so in an interview in the Avondetappe yesterday at Dutch TV. Mollema literally said they never rode the new ITT bike and it just came in on the 2nd restday

wow, I think Bianchi were prepared to jump ship. then the Dutch Lotto came on board...
back to Leopold
one of the few things to cheer for me in this Tour. together with Haimar 10th place, and Majka polka dot and stages.
I hope he can put a good TT and keep his 9th place

pastronef said:
wow, I think Bianchi were prepared to jump ship. then the Dutch Lotto came on board...
back to Leopold
one of the few things to cheer for me in this Tour. together with Haimar 10th place, and Majka polka dot and stages.

No, it's not like that. Bianchi was preparing a new ITT bike since the start of the year, but it had a lot of problems. They wanted to give the new bike before the tour (preferably ahead of dauphine/suissE), but it took them even longer then that...

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
pastronef said:
back to Leopold

He would have to lose 2 minutes to Zubeldia to lose the 9th place. There is better chance moving up as Ten Dam is just 22 sec ahead of him and Mollema 1:41 ahead of him.

Well, it could go either way as 54km is pretty long TT. :cool:

Sprite0309

BANNED
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Jancouver said:
He would have to lose 2 minutes to Zubeldia to lose the 9th place. There is better chance moving up as Ten Dam is just 22 sec ahead of him and Mollema 1:41 ahead of him.

Well, it could go either way as 54km is pretty long TT. :cool:

Leo Konig is only 41 seconds behind Mollema, it´s going to be real fight on seventh place :)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
König was 11th in the Vuelta ITT last year
Mollema 11th in both TDF itt's..

it will all depend on form of the day. Normally I think König is the more natural ITT-er. But a 55km ITT after a 3 week Tour, it's hard to say
I think Mollema has looked good in the Pyrenees, whereas both Ten Dam and König looked better in the Alpes. So Mollema to hold his spot and König to overtake Ten Dam.

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Konig is quite confident that he will succeed in tomorrow's time trial despite the crash he happened to have today. He is a very down-to-earth guy who never overestimated his abilities. On the contrary, whatever he claimed only proved to be true so far.

BTW, he posted a comment after today's crash on FB that "he is OK".

Tomorrow's TT will tell.........cheers

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jancouver said:
What a ride by King Leo. I honestly did not expect that he will be riding that well. Kudos to you Leo!

he would rank higher if not by that AT's crash, you could also discuss his bright future under" Is this the beginning of a new cycling era?":D He is part of new great generation.

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
lenric said:
I'd like this guy to go to Orica or even BMC.

It'll be really interesting where he winds up in the end. Leo would love to join any of the anglophone teams. However, it's unlikely, I think, that it'll be SKY or Garmin. SKY's too strong and Leo does not want to spend the rest of his carreer working for Froome. And there's Talansky in Garmin he does not get along with.

Orica or BMC seem realistic to me......

NB.....today's TT was surely Leo's best TT ever.......

TRENDING THREADS