• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

L'Equipe 2 (doping version)

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
remember who broke the story on the six non negative armstrong tests from 1999??

not only top journalism by the hack but it also takes a very good editor to both allow him time to work on the story and to publish it

May 14, 2009
Visit site
l'crap

I find it odd that they are leaked info before riders are ever informed that they have tested positive (i.e.Landis &Vino) by the same French lab. If this was your Dr. leaking you info you could sue his pants off.
Here is another example of their shady "reporting". My step daughter who has had 3 years of French with A's & B's came home from high school last fall and told me that Floyd Landis had admitted to his doping. Whether you agree or disagree that he did, I have never read that he has ever admitted to it. I asked where she heard that. She told me they were getting to read French publications in class. I immeadiatley sarcastically said, "What did you read, Le Equipe?" She was so suprised because that was what she had read it in.
Basically now if it has been reported in LeEquipe I don't believe it until I hear it direct from the horses mouth.

gwessel2 said:
I find it odd that they are leaked info before riders are ever informed that they have tested positive (i.e.Landis &Vino) by the same French lab. If this was your Dr. leaking you info you could sue his pants off.
Here is another example of their shady "reporting". My step daughter who has had 3 years of French with A's & B's came home from high school last fall and told me that Floyd Landis had admitted to his doping. Whether you agree or disagree that he did, I have never read that he has ever admitted to it. I asked where she heard that. She told me they were getting to read French publications in class. I immeadiatley sarcastically said, "What did you read, Le Equipe?" She was so suprised because that was what she had read it in.
Basically now if it has been reported in LeEquipe I don't believe it until I hear it direct from the horses mouth.

*dramatic chipmunk*

But do you read l'Equipe? By the sound of it, you only get second-hand knowledge of what they report and when.
So when did this "Landis admitted" story happened? I'm sure we could dig the article content to see what was said.

I do not know whether or not they "announced first" the results you mention of, but I find it hardly strange that the "official" newspaper of the TdF (again, they belong to the same group, the TdF was founded by the newspaper, etc...) would have inside knowledge through ASO.

And the leaks were actually factual information, am I right? Very much different than the original point of contention "the news always turns out to be false".

EDIT: Another hoax football transfer rumor in the UK, similar to the one I told above.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
gwessel2 said:
:eek:
is there really a sane person out there who will disagree with the statement "floyd landis doped to win the tour in 2006"??
:eek::eek:

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
gwessel2 said:
I find it odd that they are leaked info before riders are ever informed that they have tested positive (i.e.Landis &Vino) by the same French lab.
No lab can leak the name of a positive athlete, they don't have his name, just an anonymous UCI/WADA code to identify each sample!
The leaks come from elsewhere. Stop to spread myths.

L'équipe? Fairly good sport newspaper. Sometimes gets it right, sometimes not. Off course the only time Americans will hear about it is when there is something "anti american" or possibly slightly critical of an American in it, then the howling starts... Ignorance is bliss.

Read l'équipe and you'll find that they report as hard/correctly/incorrectly about french cyclists. If there is ever something to report on french cyclists of course.

As for a l'équipe report where Landis admits to doping... seriously doubt that it exists... around what time was your daughter in Paris?

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
It looks like this place has hit rock bottom as the king of smoke and mirrors has arrived

DB, if you want to discuss your boy Floyd do so in the clinic

A

Anonymous

gwessel2 said:

Lance COULD sue them, but his pants would be the ones that came off if he did. See, The Uniballer doesn't want those samples and the testimony of people like Ashenden anywhere NEAR a civil court. All of you fanboys think everything revolves around "innocent until proven guilty" but don't seem to understand that in civil cases (even in France) the burden of proof is "Preponderance of the evidence" or similar language. The Uniballer and his shyster of a lawyer understand this CLEARLY however, and both know they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. See, the PREPONDERANCE of the evidence is that he doped.

Eva Maria said:
Note the title "Possible"

There have been four positives since then

The article quoted was very specific:
- may be excluded/announced from the Tour beforehand
- direct control from Tour de Suisse &/or Romandie.

Serrano was caught with a test on Tour de Suisse and announced during the TdF. But since he is at Fuji, he wouldn't have rode. Landaluze is Euskaltel, but he wasn't selected by the Tour a fact that was, I guess, known by the date of the article. He was positive on two tests but not on those competitions. Astarloza did run the Tour but his test was out of competition.

So far, this story has not delivered.

Does it mean L'Equipe is the equivalent of the National Enquirer? After a quick search, I found that Sports Illustrated also fell for hoax, including reporting on a young sport prodigy that didn't exist. And I am certain that trades in the US pro leagues generates lots of rumours.

Yet, I would wager SI is still considered a pretty reliable source as far as sports reporting goes.

Before the thread was parted, I wondered if this had to do with our current favorite subject of discussion:
Tearing down the credibility of L'Equipe, and questioning "weasel" tactics as to why and how they got the leak will not change the fact that the 6 samples did belong to Armstrong.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
ThisFrenchGuy said:
The article quoted was very specific:
- may be excluded/announced from the Tour beforehand
- direct control from Tour de Suisse &/or Romandie.

Serrano was caught with a test on Tour de Suisse and announced during the TdF. But since he is at Fuji, he wouldn't have rode. Landaluze is Euskaltel, but he wasn't selected by the Tour a fact that was, I guess, known by the date of the article. He was positive on two tests but not on those competition. Astarloza did run the Tour but his test was out of competition.

So far, this story has not delivered.

Does it mean L'Equipe is the equivalent of the National Enquirer? After a quick search, I found that Sports Illustrated also fell for hoax, including reporting on a young sport prodigy that didn't exist. And I am certain that trade in the US pro leagues generates lots of rumours.

Yet, I would wager SI is still considered a pretty reliable source as far as sports reporting goes.

Before the thread was parted, I wondered if this had to do with our current favorite subject of discussion:
Tearing down the credibility of L'Equipe, and questioning "weasel" tactics as to why and how they got the leak will not change the fact that the 6 samples did belong to Armstrong.

Don't forget Di Lucca....but his was not from TDS.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
is there really a sane person out there who will disagree with the statement "floyd landis doped to win the tour in 2006"??
:eek::eek:

"I don't believe that he took anything illegal. Landis did only what he had to. I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there. But for me it [the affair] remains a mistake." - Eddy Merckx

"I believe in Floyd, I believe he hasn't had a fair shake. I don't trust the lab." - Lance Armstrong

The sanity of one is definitely in question ;)

The thing I don't get with the true at heart Floyd fans is that they can't accept the reality with the good and bad.

What I'm saying is that I liked Floyd. I cheered him on. I felt like I'd been kicked in the gut when he peed hot. I was angry at the guy, and his manager and legal team for their pathetic and disgraceful tactics during his USADA hearing. I also came away convinced, without a single doubt, he doped.

But I also think he rode a great Tour. I don't think he doped much more than many others that Tour. Certainly not Kloden, Rasmussen, Sinkewitz, and possibly Frank. Maybe Pereiro too. Many more. Doping is part of the sport, and prevalent at the top. Floyd won the Tour because he doped, partly. But he also won it because he showed a lot of grit, got in the right attacks, and had a perfect strategy and made the most bold attack I've ever seen on that stage to Morzine. That part of his book I think he gets right. It's a shame what happened, and part of me still considers him the 2006 Tour champion. But I'm not a fanboy, nor naive, enough to think he was cheated, robbed, clean, etc.

If there is one thing I may be naive about, it's that I think there may come a day when Floyd comes clean and admits a lot, if not all that happened. Considering how far he's fallen, and how much he lost, it's possible someday. We'll see.

M Sport said:
"I don't believe that he took anything illegal. Landis did only what he had to. I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there. But for me it [the affair] remains a mistake." - Eddy Merckx

"I believe in Floyd, I believe he hasn't had a fair shake. I don't trust the lab." - Lance Armstrong

The sanity of one is definitely in question ;)

Lance trusted that lab completely a year before. He praised it's professionalism.

"Landis did only what he had to do."

Brilliant......

Eva Maria said:
It looks like this place has hit rock bottom as the king of smoke and mirrors has arrived

DB, if you want to discuss your boy Floyd do so in the clinic

Thanks for the compliment, I've always wanted to be a king. I don't want to discuss Floyd, I was answering an explicit question that was raised in the shortest possible form. (The one word "yes" was not accepted).

If you want to go all ad-hominem on me for daring to have a different view, go right ahead.

-dB

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
dbrower said:
Thanks for the compliment, I've always wanted to be a king. I don't want to discuss Floyd, I was answering an explicit question that was raised in the shortest possible form. (The one word "yes" was not accepted).

If you want to go all ad-hominem on me for daring to have a different view, go right ahead.

-dB

You can call it ad-hominem if you like, but I am attacking the ridiculous smoke and mirrors campaign of misinformation that you and the Landis group have invented.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:
You can call it ad-hominem if you like, but I am attacking the ridiculous smoke and mirrors campaign of misinformation that you and the Landis group have invented.
you can add the "epithet" illegal to their campaign.

Oh wait sunken rower, errr dbrower, that ain't an epithet, thats the facts dude.

TheArbiter

BANNED
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
It was a nasty bit of journalism to go back and test samples that had not been kept for the purpose of doing so. If they wanted to change the rules to allowold blood files were kept and tested in official conditions years later, which they do in fact do now, then they should have campaigned for that. Not pick on the most successful Tour de France rider in history. It was vindictive and nasty and rightfully not recognized by the doping authorities.

TRENDING THREADS