• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Less well known cycling records or facts

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
As mentioned in a previous post, (I think) Netserk was wondering why I indirectly credited Contador (2010) with a Tour win and not Landis (2005) when both were stripped.

Yes, both were stripped of the overall, but I think the point everyone else is making is that without either getting stripped Landis wouldn't have qualified anyway.

If Landis wasn't stripped, he won a stage, so didn't meet the requirements of the category anyway.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
abbaskip said:
Yes, both were stripped of the overall, but I think the point everyone else is making is that without either getting stripped Landis wouldn't have qualified anyway.

If Landis wasn't stripped, he won a stage, so didn't meet the requirements of the category anyway.
Right but at no point did I include Landis (Unless if was in reference to other posts?). But yes, the Morzine stage would be hard to forget.

I guess you can either have Contador (2010) or Oscar Pereiro (2006) depending on your take on things (and being somewhat consistent). :)

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Has anyone worn the leaders jersey on all stages including the prologue? That implies winning the Grand Tour the previous year and starting the prologue wearing the leaders jersey.
Well, the first prologue was in 1967 so if you are including only those tours I don't think anyone has led the race from start to finish in any one Tour.

The formal history, therefore, is that the first yellow jersey was worn by the Frenchman Eugène Christophe in the stage from Grenoble to Geneva on July 18, 1919. Source
That being the case Nicolas Frantz looks the best candidate since he won the 1927 edition and then led from start to finish in 1928.

Interestingly enough
The yellow jersey on the first day of the Tour is traditionally permitted to be worn by the winner of the previous year's race; however, wearing it is a choice left to the rider, and in recent years has gone out of fashion. If the winner does not ride, the jersey is not worn. Source

I had always assumed that there was a rules change where no one was allowed to wear it for the first stage/prologue.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The French bank, Crédit Lyonnais, has sponsored the maillot jaune since 1987. It is they who award the toy lion (le lion en peluche) to each day's winner as a play on its name.

Or alternatively, it just covered the whole country. The Giro, Tour and Vuelta never cover all of the terrain the countries have to offer.

Here's a map of the 2009 Volta a Portugal, over 11 stages as the race is these days:
percurso+Volta+a+Portugal.jpg

Especially bearing in mind that due to August's 40º heat in large parts of the country and some shorter stages due to the less élite péloton and the endurance factor of the heat, you can quite easily see how they could add 8 stages to that. Especially bearing in mind that the Volta ao Algarve is 5 stages!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Philippe Gilbert and Richard Virenque are the only cyclists in the history of the sport to have worn all 3 leader jerseys on the same day in the Tour de France during the first week. Phil did it in 2011 while Virenque did it in 1992.

Tom Boonen is the only cyclist in the world to have won the Ronde van Vlaanderen in the rainbow jersey while being defending champion of the race.

Other cyclists who have won the Ronde van Vlaanderen in the rainbow jersey are Louison Bobet, Rik van Looy(comes up a lot in these kind of record lists of classics) and Eddy Merckx(1975).

I was banned because I said that this thread Bore de France uber alles. + a little about the two sisters: Bore d'Italia and Bore a España. I stand by it and don't regret at all.

The rest, never heard of? :rolleyes:

Why have you registered on this website if you dont like cycling?

This elitism is sickening. There are hundreds of races in the calendar, there have been hundreds and hundreds of races in more than a century of cycle racing and all you're interested in is Bore de France ???

The greatness of this sport is its DIVERSITY and the quantity of events it has.

ASO is almighty and dozens of races are disappearing every year due to financial problems. Because of whom?

With such cycling fans, I'm sometimes wondering if cycling does not get what it deserves.

Sadly,

Echoes

Freedom of speech, blowin in the wind?

For the third time, I'm trying to express my stupefaction at the fact that 90% oof the posts on this thread are about Bore de France (or Giro or Vuelta) and nothing about the other races that build up this sport.

I MUST say it. And let me do it.

It's sad and disgusting to read that.

There are so many great events in this sport and can't even see the beauty of it.

Distressing.

Echoes said:

For the third time, I'm trying to express my stupefaction at the fact that 90% oof the posts on this thread are about Bore de France (or Giro or Vuelta) and nothing about the other races that build up this sport.

There are so many great events in this sport and can't even see the beauty of it.

Distressing.
Well, part of the reason is surely that it's much easier to find information about and statistics from Tour de France.

Echoes said:

Distressing.

How about putting some stats about classics instead of whining nonstop?

Maybe you can help a few people to enjoy classics instead of GT's

echoes all you have been doing is whining and calling(almost insulting) every1 lesser cycling fans because their favourite race isn't a 1.2 semi amateur one day race.

i dare say the tour is far from the favourite race of most people on this forum (it certainly is my case) but i won't deny it's existence and discuss the results of the Gooikse Pijl over some sense of superior hipster cycling knowledge.

also you have been warned and banned multiple times before for derailing threads (like you are doing with this one) with your endless dismissing of the tour de france(and other top races) and everyone that dares to discuss them so instead of complaining about lack of freedom of speech maybe you should think before posting or insulting other posters.

either way on this thread you can either post lesser know facts of the races you like (like all the other people have been doing) or keep up like now and get banned again for a longer period of time.

if you want to discuss why the tour, giro, vuelta and the monuments are boring and the Meiprijs - Ereprijs Victor De Bruyne is awesome then go ahead and create a new thread for it.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Philippe Gilbert and Richard Virenque are the only cyclists in the history of the sport to have worn all 3 leader jerseys on the same day in the Tour de France during the first week..

Merckx never did that? :eek:

Bobet and Merckx are the only riders to have won both the Tour de France and the Tour of Flanders.
Boonen is the only rider to have achieved the Tour of Flanders/Paris-Roubaix double twice.
Every year Boonen won the Tour of Flanders, he also won the GP E3.
Ballan is the last world champion on home soil (road race).

Yeah I see it's always the same trick. If I'm saing we should have a more global view on the sport and drop the blinkers that are focused on Bore de France, then you would single out one very little race and ask if it isn't normal that nobody talk about it. And then it's legit that Bore de France should get all the attention.

Predictable.

(By the way, Hoboken May 1 is a prestigious race with a long history)

(Ban me anytime you like, Parrulo, I don't mind. All I wish is that you stop deleting my posts. That's nastier. And Orwellian. I don't like that)

I have of course plenty of anecdotes and records I could bring on this thread but I'm not sure anybody will be interested and I don't want to waste my time and anyway I'm disgusted.