• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sparkassen Münsterland Giro (1.HC) 210.8 km Weds October 3
start list at
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/munsterland-giro/2018/startlist/

munsterland-giro-2018-result-profile-84d74c3153.jpg

roadbook at https://www.muensterland-giro.de/dateien/2018/giro2018_roadbook_20180920.pdf

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Wasn't Van Poppel the fastest anyway? Or does this finish not suit his sprint?
I mean, couldn't he have waited longer?

Wasn’t Demare still in the group? He was dead as it turned out but Van Poppel seems to spend his life losing sprints against guys who are just faster than him. He was right to try something different.

Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

Favs for today's Sparkassen Münsterland Giro - sprint finish expected -
Gaviria, Greipel, Bennett, Degenkolb and ol' man EBH as outside bet.

Km 0 at 11.35 CET

Livestream at
https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video...-profi-rennen-beim-muensterland-giro-100.html

https://twitter.com/tv_cycling/status/1047106825064206337
If you are in Germany, you can watch @tweets_giro Live on @WDR from 2:30pm and on @sportschau.de from 2pm https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video/sendungen/sport-im-westen/videostream-livestream---das-profi-rennen-beim-muensterland-giro-100.html … #MuensterlandGiro

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

Robert5091 said:
Favs for today's Sparkassen Münsterland Giro - sprint finish expected -
Gaviria, Greipel, Bennett, Degenkolb and ol' man EBH as outside bet.
Nacer Bouhanni to surprise them and win

There may be trouble ahead. Whatever about Bora’s general oversupply of quality sprinters, they absolutely shouldn’t be putting Ackermann and Bennett in the same race squad. Putting two rising sprinters in the same race is like putting two cockerels in the same henhouse. There will be blood and feathers everywhere.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Ackermann got boxed in by his own teammate. Bennett's selfishness cost Bora a good chance of victory on home soil. I doubt that stupid move favors the Irishmans position on the team for next year!

Nice win for Walscheid though. That one came as a surprise.
Selfishness? They are sprinters. That’s their job. Unless one is ordered not to sprint, they will both try to win. If Bennett is allowed to sprint it’s not his problem to worry about Ackermann’s positioning. If Ackermann is allowed to sprint, it’s not his problem that the guy he is trying to barge through is his teammate. That’s why you don’t put two sprinters in the squad unless one is a lead out (and neither of them has any experience at that).

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
staubsauger said:
Ackermann got boxed in by his own teammate. Bennett's selfishness cost Bora a good chance of victory on home soil. I doubt that stupid move favors the Irishmans position on the team for next year!

Selfishness? They are sprinters. That’s their job. Unless one is ordered not to sprint, they will both try to win. If Bennett is allowed to sprint it’s not his problem to worry about Ackermann’s positioning. If Ackermann is allowed to sprint, it’s not his problem that the guy he is trying to barge through is his teammate. That’s why you don’t put two sprinters in the squad unless one is a lead out (and neither of them has any experience at that).
Which I doubt Bora's gonna do again after it ruined them a race that was in full control the whole day. Hence, why I talked about Bennett's position in the team, which might be downgraded to sprinter no. 3. Ackermann is the team's new starlet and seen as potential successor of Greipel in Germany. So he probably ends up with team leadership at the 2019 Giro d'Italia to rest himself against Viviani!

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
staubsauger said:

Well, to be fair, it's not the first time Bora has used two sprinters in the same squad. They are pretty much used to do that in fact, more or less everytime Pelucchi is in a race :lol: And it did work a couple of times. Most noticeably, last year at Münster where Pelucchi could sprint freely.
I'm not saying I like that. I do not. But it can be done. If both sprinters are at least respectful of each others. Both Bennett and Ackermann weren't today. So, obviously it led to that disaster (and it could have been worse, both crashing stupidly was very close). The thing is that today both looked more concerned to do better than the other one than anything else. Shameful behavior by both.
Winning does not mean risking to crash one of your colleagues. I don't care who is the most guilty among both of them. To me, both were ridiculous today. (and so was the direction if they didn't say there were limits in that competition).
What we saw today should never happen again.