• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

That moment when all of a sudden both EF riders from the front group where on the attack together was great. :D

Great win for Skuijns, not a race that tells us all that much about lombardia other than that Pinot is in really good shape.

tobydawq said:
Bardamu said:
Proof again that the Italian fall classics are the best one-day races of the season.

Better than the Flemish spring classics? Not in a million years.
I think he was comparing them to the Ardennes.. the hilly classics in general.

Emilia is what Fleche Wallone is supposed to be like and Lombardia is what Liege is supposed to be like.

You could compare TVV to Amstel but Amstel has been great in recent editions.

Velolover2 said:
tobydawq said:
Bardamu said:
Proof again that the Italian fall classics are the best one-day races of the season.

Emilia is what Fleche Wallone is supposed to be like and Lombardia is what Liege is supposed to be like.

Compared them both to Ardennes and the Flemish races. I don't hold the Flemish races in that high regard, only de Ronde really matters. I'd rather win Emilia or Milano Torino than Omloop or E3. P-R is in my opinion with Lombardia the greatest one-day race but I see that as a race on its own.

But these fall classics are like you said indeed more exciting versions of the Ardennes races, although Amstel indeed has been great the last few editions.

Velolover2 said:
tobydawq said:
Bardamu said:

This reminds me of the discussions every year about the Vuelta and Giro being what the Tour is supposed to be like. It's like preferring a high scoring La Liga game between two mid table sides, over a boring Champions League final. Each has its merits as a spectacle, but one undoubtedly has more gravitas and is an example of the sport being performed at a higher level.

Its somewhat inevitable and impossible to prevent these days that the Tour and Ardennes are less entertaining than their counterparts. They are simply raced at a much higher level, where finer margins tend decide the races, with the best riders on top form and with insanely strong teams (full of domestiques in top form) who can control the life out of the races.

Bardamu said:
Velolover2 said:
tobydawq said:
Bardamu said:

Compared them both to Ardennes and the Flemish races. I don't hold the Flemish races in that high regard, only de Ronde really matters. I'd rather win Emilia or Milano Torino than Omloop or E3. P-R is in my opinion with Lombardia the greatest one-day race but I see that as a race on its own.

But these fall classics are like you said indeed more exciting versions of the Ardennes races, although Amstel indeed has been great the last few editions.

I agree that E3, Omloop and Dwars are just mini-versions of the Ronde but still entertaining at least. G-W is quite unique though.

Lombardia is also one of the greatest races IMO. The epic 2016 edition was raced like a cobbled classics. One of the best races I've ever seen.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Nibs, Valverde and co. not able to follow Woods, Urán and Pinot?
For Valverde I think it's just his usual way to lose races in waiting style when others go. He looked pretty good before, if tomorrow the race will be controlled he'll win.
Nibali probably is still not able to drop anyone attacking.

Anyway Pinot was in beast mode today, I can see him dropping everyone on Civiglio on Saturday with this shape.

DFA123 said:
Velolover2 said:
tobydawq said:
Bardamu said:

This reminds me of the discussions every year about the Vuelta and Giro being what the Tour is supposed to be like. It's like preferring a high scoring La Liga game between two mid table sides, over a boring Champions League final. Each has its merits as a spectacle, but one undoubtedly has more gravitas and is an example of the sport being performed at a higher level.

Its somewhat inevitable and impossible to prevent these days that the Tour and Ardennes are less entertaining than their counterparts. They are simply raced at a much higher level, where finer margins tend decide the races, with the best riders on top form and with insanely strong teams (full of domestiques in top form) who can control the life out of the races.

Totally agree with you on this.

Still that does not mean these fall classics deliver big time and this year its been a really nice field as well.
Making this week all WT will most likely result in less interesting racing though.

Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
Valv.Piti said:
Nibs, Valverde and co. not able to follow Woods, Urán and Pinot?
For Valverde I think it's just his usual way to lose races in waiting style when others go. He looked pretty good before, if tomorrow the race will be controlled he'll win.
Nibali probably is still not able to drop anyone attacking.

Anyway Pinot was in beast mode today, I can see him dropping everyone on Civiglio on Saturday with this shape.

Probably wasted too much energy during the week for Lombardia, I hope im wrong!

DFA123 said:
Velolover2 said:
tobydawq said:
Bardamu said:

At this point the only reason to claim the Tour is so much tougher than the Giro or Vuelta is "cause I say so". The Tour has been the weakest GT in climbing field plenty of times in the last few years.

Same for the Ardennes. No climbers even really try anymore cause they're not hilly enough and because they have bigger goals later in the season.

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Velolover2 said:
tobydawq said:
Bardamu said:

At this point the only reason to claim the Tour is so much tougher than the Giro or Vuelta is "cause I say so".
Or because the field is much more homogeneous and elite overall.

TRENDING THREADS