• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
Figueiredo wins the GP Internacional Torres Vedras for the 3rd year in a row, he crushed his opponents on the Alto do Montejunto MTF

Meanwhile Fiorelli won the first road stage of the Tour of Sibiu, Nicolas dalla Valle finished 2nd and Andrea Piccolo 3rd.
It's gonna be interesting to see how Piccolo will do on the big Balea Lac MTF tomorrow, if he's in this kind of shape he should be one of the favourites.

Kanter looked good in this finish. I don't really know what to make of him, he doesn't win anything but is now often there in the races he should be.

Will they take him to the Tour or Vuelta?

Yeah, Kanter rides well at Movistar. They will be happy with his performances. Movistar does not care all that much about sprinters. They are happy if they achieve Top-10 ranks in sprint finishes.

If Kanter continues like this, he will stay at Movistar. The team is also happy about Hollmann, and had good experiences with Sütterlin.

De Bod and Piccolo have the engine to do well on such a MTT on a not so steep climb. Aleotti isn't bad either and I also rate the 2 Belgians highly. Could be a close call.
Leemreize rode a solid TT at the end of the Giro and he seems in good shape.
I'd probably put my money on him and De Bod.
Piccolo and Cian are untested in TTs at this level (+Piccolo likely has had very limited TT training in the past couple of years).

Leemreize rode a solid TT at the end of the Giro and he seems in good shape.
I'd probably put my money on him and De Bod.
Piccolo and Cian are untested in TTs at this level (+Piccolo likely has had very limited TT training in the past couple of years).
Yeah, but in an uphill tt on 5-6% gradients soneone's engine is probably more important than just TT skills, that should help Piccolo.

Nice to see that Astana are finally using De Bod as a gc rider in small stage races. The guy finished 3rd in the Österreich Rundfahrt in 2019 by finishing 5th on both the Kitzbüheler Horn (ahead of O'Conner) and on the Glockner (ahead of Vlasov, who won on the Horn a few days later). He can handle hard mtfs and is a good tter, so sending him to small stage races as a team leader should be a no brainer...

Don't see why pure TT skills would be relevant for tomorrow. No TT bike and a 9k climb at 6ish% followed by a 3k false flat. Engine is going to be important, but the climb is also pretty irregular with 2km over 8% en 2km over 7%, so pure climbers like a Vanhoucke or Alleotti definitely have a chance.

Cian was probably the strongest in the race today, impressive stuff.

Don't see why pure TT skills would be relevant for tomorrow. No TT bike and a 9k climb at 6ish% followed by a 3k false flat. Engine is going to be important, but the climb is also pretty irregular with 2km over 8% en 2km over 7%, so pure climbers like a Vanhoucke or Alleotti definitely have a chance.

Cian was probably the strongest in the race today, impressive stuff.
I agree on most points, but Aleotti is probably more of a punchy classics rider than a pure climber. He's at his best on short, steep climbs.

top 3 in GC stays the same, De Bod will be 4th now. Best climbers were definitely ahead yesterday. Very strong from Aleotti tho, did not expect him to win today too. Cian once again strong too. No idea why they weren't showing Vanhoucke like he didn't exist.

A bit sad that Cras got a positive COVID test before this race, could've been a really exciting Bora vs. Lotto duel. Also for Lotto's UCI points, as Vanhoucke isn't in their top 10 yet (only 30 points will count).

TRENDING THREADS