• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a weird sprint.

Walscheid and Einhorn in the top 4...
Walscheid just said in the interview afterwards that Nizzolo told him before the race that it's a messy fight for position and he should watch out not to get boxed in hence he stayed a lot at the front and opened deliberately very early with 300m to go.
I think a lot of bigger names were in bad position, Bennett got pushed back, Ackermann crashed, Philipsen had to come from very deep and no team seemed to have a good leadout hence a few surprise names found themselves in good spots.

Reactions: postmanhat
saw that interview with Walscheid as well. Interesting that Nizzolo gives recommendations to Walscheid, while his own sprinter started the sprint from way behind instead ;)

Well Walscheid is pretty goated at placing himself because of his huge body. He's gotten himself a ton of points by doing that. Still don't get how he's not getting used by some teams to leadout a topsprinter.

Well Walscheid is pretty goated at placing himself because of his huge body. He's gotten himself a ton of points by doing that. Still don't get how he's not getting used by some teams to leadout a topsprinter.
This, the guy was pushing absurd wattages already in the u23 ranks (over 1.300W for 25sec in the German u23 NC after 180km back in 2014), gives a super draft and has the size and ability to hold and defend a good position. He is the potential top leadout man for the coming years.

Reactions: postmanhat
The Cheetah strikes again! Very good fighting for position before the sprint, but Jumbo is missing a last leadout guy for him for next season as I don't think Laporte will often ride the same races. Others like Affini, Van Dijke's or Tosh are good but as a 2nd or 3rd last guy...

Monfort about De Lie last week in Walloon press: "his biggest flaw right now is that he can't keep calm"

Yeah... apparenlty lmao I don't think this was necessary.

I mean it's great to see, he's young. Waiting for the sprint is boring. Points don't matter anymore anyways.

not sure the peloton will get organized again. Mainly poor teams missed the move

Intermarché isnt a poor team... And Bingoal always puts their whole team on the front in Belgian races. That and the front group being to big. I think it will come together.

Or Evenepoel drops a bomb in a few minutes and jumps to the front group. Would be great to see.

Literally no one can follow De Lie... I don't know what his goal his tho, this is mission impossible.

TRENDING THREADS