• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lessons from Lance

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I brought back this thread because once again I had an Epiphany.

For some reason the mud-slingers here have calmed down. Well Lance had an advertisement on TV today. It was just one, a radio-shack commercial with Lance and Alfonse while an NFL game was on.

It made me think. Here you have this man, who my brothers here have spent thousand of hours blogging about. One of my kids asks me for my yellow bracelet and he wears it 24-7.

I realize I love the guy because he has conquered adversity. There are many here who will take potshots at him, some even because they have had negative personal experiences with Lance.

I do not see anything negative about Lance. He does good work. I never cared about the magnificant 7. I wanted Ulrich or Mayo to win, I rooted against Lance.

During his comeback I saw something good in the man. My Uncle is in remission from cancer. I see something in my Uncle and in Lance I like.

Whatever the outcome with the investigation I will always be a supporter of Lance and those who overcome adversity.

I guess Lances' upbringing shaped him into what he is now and what he has achieved in the past.

Dettol

BANNED
Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I think what matters to most people is what he represents- hard work success over adversity, nice guy etc rather than a search on what he truly is which this forum is preoccupied about.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dettol said:
I think what matters to most people is what he represents- hard work success over adversity, nice guy etc rather than a search on what he truly is which this forum is preoccupied about.

Since this is a doping forum I can see why people take issue.
I see a bigger picture, as Lance brings interest to cycling more people are interested in the sport and hopefully will take up a healthier lifestyle by cycling,and other sports.

As far as his personal, financial and possible doping or fraud, I do not care.
As Dave Z. put it just another doping scandal.

The moral issues in sportsmen and women are not to be emulated.
This featherweight boxer who this year refused to be drug tested prior to a fight for a world bout. His opponent refused to fight the guy unless he had a full on pre-fight blood test.

Dettol said:

Success in what?

Did he work harder to overcome cancer? No, there's no such thing. His depiction as such is an insult to the medical world and cancer sufferers alike.

Did he work harder to become a successful cyclist? No, I'm yet to see any evidence of this, no doubt the majority of pros (and a lot of lesser cyclists) work tirelessly without a lot of success. Hard work is just one of a number of things which are necessary if you want to be a top cyclist.

On the way home yesterday, I saw a large sign in from of the Flinders Medical Centre outlining the new Livestrong Cancer Research Centre to be built there.

Im pretty sure Lance coming to Adelaide has contributed to having this new research facility being built.

Regards

Hugh

hughmoore said:
On the way home yesterday, I saw a large sign in from of the Flinders Medical Centre outlining the new Livestrong Cancer Research Centre to be built there.

Im pretty sure Lance coming to Adelaide has contributed to having this new research facility being built.

Regards

Hugh

Really? Every news source suggests the centre was funded jointly by the State and Federal governments, do you have any sources which suggest otherwise? I think cancer research would be better off if the several millions of dollars the SA government has spent on appearance fees were diverted directly to cancer research.

hughmoore said:

Regards

Hugh

The mission of Livestrong isn't research, it's "awareness". That the Livestrong name us being used is more likely a case of political opportunism and clever marketing for the Armstrong brand than financing of cancer research projects.

Will they have to rename it "Dopestrong Cancer Research Centre" in the near future?

flicker said:

For some reason the mud-slingers here have calmed down. Well Lance had an advertisement on TV today. It was just one, a radio-shack commercial with Lance and Alfonse while an NFL game was on.

It made me think. Here you have this man, who my brothers here have spent thousand of hours blogging about. One of my kids asks me for my yellow bracelet and he wears it 24-7.

I realize I love the guy because he has conquered adversity. There are many here who will take potshots at him, some even because they have had negative personal experiences with Lance.

I do not see anything negative about Lance. He does good work. I never cared about the magnificant 7. I wanted Ulrich or Mayo to win, I rooted against Lance.

During his comeback I saw something good in the man. My Uncle is in remission from cancer. I see something in my Uncle and in Lance I like.

Whatever the outcome with the investigation I will always be a supporter of Lance and those who overcome adversity.

I guess Lances' upbringing shaped him into what he is now and what he has achieved in the past.

interesting...
no mention of doping, which begs the question why this is in the Clinic...
just a "I love Lance" waffle, which begs the question why this isn't tacked on to the end of the Official Lance Armstrong thread...

and considering the flaming you gave Andy1234 for posing a question about life without lance claiming that it was just baiting/trolling, it's pretty laughable...

mods, if you please...

Dettol

BANNED
Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Success in what?

Did he work harder to overcome cancer? No, there's no such thing. His depiction as such is an insult to the medical world and cancer sufferers alike.

Did he work harder to become a successful cyclist? No, I'm yet to see any evidence of this, no doubt the majority of pros (and a lot of lesser cyclists) work tirelessly without a lot of success. Hard work is just one of a number of things which are necessary if you want to be a top cyclist.
Man I don't believe in it but most people do.
Armstrong has a narrative which is I've worked hard to be where I am, I've worked harder than anybody else to be where I am. I deserve to win.

That is the American and Western Dream. Work hard and anything can be yours.

The truth is whether it be a race or life a little bit of luck and some nepotism always helps.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

You lot used to say lance didn't dope! Now it has changed to it doesn't matter if he doped. Well it does matter the same as any other cheat.You don't get let off because of your good works unless you are a Catholic priest.

The Devil

BANNED
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

Sound's more like You have an unhealthy obsession with Lance Armstrong.

Just kiddin with YA.!!

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

Your entire narrative is distorted.

First, you say you like Lance because he overcame adversity and that his Tour wins don't really matter. If that were in fact true, you should like pro cyclist Ernie Lechuga just as much since he overcame testicular cancer and rode again. But we know you don't.

Without those wins, you would never hold Lance out as anyone worth a damn. Neither would his superficial yellow bracelet lemmings who buy into the Cinderella fantasy hook, line, and sinker.

The fact is thousands of people "beat" cancer every week. Lance isn't a one-in-a-million guy. He's more like a 3 out of 7 guy. Beating cancer depends on a lot of variables, the least of which is a person's perseverance since I'm pretty sure lots of little children and adults who have cancer and die wanted to beat it too. Beating cancer isn't a mind game contrary to what Lance and you and a lot of people like to think. This analogy that beating cancer is like beating people in a bike race is a bunch of bullsh*t.

In Lance's case, beating the competition in cycling was more about beating the anti-doping tests while gilled with EPO and blood doping than any God-like work ethic he learned in Plano or from his mommy. I can't help think of the Nike commercial a few years back where Lance was riding in the rain and he says something like, "People want to know what I'm on...I'm on my bike 6 hours a day busting my ***, what are you on?"

Well, no...according to the LNDD and your teammates, Lance, you were actually on EPO and blood doping every single Tour de France you won. But I guess Nike rejected that version.

So I don't really get this link between cancer and winning bike races anyway.

What Greg LeMond said was prophetic: "it's either the biggest success story in sport...or the biggest fraud."

I think we all know now which one is correct. And if you look around the U.S. domestic peloton, you would be hard pressed to find a single cyclist who wears one of those yellow wristbands...even when they were popular. Why? Because they all knew the guy was a fraud.

If you ask people in cycling if they think Lance doped, they give answers from "absolutely" to "well, but everyone else was doing it so..." You really don't find anyone who defends the position Lance takes publicly - the one that requires him to lie so he can perpetuate the financial machine behind his public persona.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
frenchfry said:
The mission of Livestrong isn't research, it's "awareness". That the Livestrong name us being used is more likely a case of political opportunism and clever marketing for the Armstrong brand than financing of cancer research projects.

Will they have to rename it "Dopestrong Cancer Research Centre" in the near future?

I'm willing to bet that this had more to do with the LAF wanting to associate itself with research rather than actually funding it. This facility knows it will get more funding with LAF attached to the name than without, and the LAF needs to be known for more than being Lance's personal "luxury travel tax shelter".

Ask them how much the LAF paid for its association. I'll bet nothing. They might have even had to contribute to the LAF for the rights.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
The fact is thousands of people "beat" cancer every week. Lance isn't a one-in-a-million guy. He's more like a 3 out of 7 guy.

Actually Lance is more like a 17 out of 20 guy. From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_cancer

"Testicular cancer has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers: in excess of 90 percent; essentially 100 percent if it has not metastasized. Even for the relatively few cases in which malignant cancer has spread widely, chemotherapy offers a cure rate of at least 85 percent today."

Lance is just a big fraud.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

Yes, really the doping doesn't really matter, a lot of cyclist cheat to win races and really it doesn't matter. What matters is that lance has intimidated people, tried to ruin others, and basically do anything to be the best in everything. He is a criminal and a horrible person. The doping is a small part in what makes him a horrible person.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
ricara said:
Actually Lance is more like a 17 out of 20 guy. From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_cancer

"Testicular cancer has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers: in excess of 90 percent; essentially 100 percent if it has not metastasized. Even for the relatively few cases in which malignant cancer has spread widely, chemotherapy offers a cure rate of at least 85 percent today."

Lance is just a big fraud.

But Lance's goal is it to make 20/20 or 100%, and he tells people to play with their balls, so that cancer is recognized as early as possible.

And Lance's t-cancer had spread, you fraud.
And much can happened in cancer-cures in last 14 years, you fraud.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
ricara said:
"Even for the relatively few cases in which malignant cancer has spread widely, chemotherapy offers a cure rate of at least 85 percent today."
I don't care enough about your argument to research, but I imagine it's safe to say that the cure rate for Stage 4 15 years ago was significantly less than 85%.

TRENDING THREADS