• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lessons from Lance

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
VanceNichols said:
Yes, really the doping doesn't really matter, a lot of cyclist cheat to win races and really it doesn't matter. What matters is that lance has intimidated people, tried to ruin others, and basically do anything to be the best in everything. He is a criminal and a horrible person. The doping is a small part in what makes him a horrible person.

+1
well said.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Dominar said:
I don't care enough about your argument to research, but I imagine it's safe to say that the cure rate for Stage 4 15 years ago was significantly less than 85%.

I remember my own doctor inquiring about my cycling 8 or 9 years ago. He asked me what I thought about Lance's miracle. I told him that I;d not thought much about about it. He responded by saying that the guy had a brilliant book agent, because what he experienced wasn't particularly "miraculous".

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
VanceNichols said:
Yes, really the doping doesn't really matter, a lot of cyclist cheat to win races and really it doesn't matter. What matters is that lance has intimidated people, tried to ruin others, and basically do anything to be the best in everything. He is a criminal and a horrible person. The doping is a small part in what makes him a horrible person.

When I remember it right, Lance always only shot back, returned the fire in his way.
Who wouldn't do that, all you good and unselfish people ?

Any examples for the contrary ?
Wow, Lance did anything to be the best ? Horrible. Shame on you Lance. :D
Lance has a hard shell, but a soft core. Real man. Someone to steal horses with, but don't f*** him. Great friend, but horrible if he is your enemy.
As it should be.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
do we really need another thread discussing this?
Why not ?
look, Mr. Barrus, this thread has 5 stars.
Should be fixed up there like these 2 other nice masked Armstrong-freds.

Sorry, didn't wanne interrupt the hateflow in here. Normally means that thread is closed soon, if hateflow can't go on untroubled. So, i expected your appearence. Its like chess you know.

But if you really care: What about a note about Armstong-threads and strict proceeding ?
How did Alberto earn that ?
What has Lance got to do to earn this preferential treatment ? Donations to CN ? :)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
VanceNichols said:

This is why I can't stand the guy. He completely defames anyone who speaks out against him. Doping is bad; lying about doping is worse; destroying peoples reputations in order to cover up your lies about doping is absolutely horrible.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Why not ?
look, Mr. Barrus, this thread has 5 stars.
Should be fixed up there like these 2 other nice masked Armstrong-freds.

Sorry, didn't wanne interrupt the hateflow in here. Normally means that thread is closed soon, if hateflow can't go on untroubled. So, i expected your appearence. Its like chess you know.

Right, we should decide based upon a voting system almost nobody uses.

This is the same discussion that has been discussed ad nauseam. And nothing new is coming out of it and this will probably only end in the hurling of insults

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Dettol said:
Man I don't believe in it but most people do.
Armstrong has a narrative which is I've worked hard to be where I am, I've worked harder than anybody else to be where I am. I deserve to win.

That is the American and Western Dream. Work hard and anything can be yours.

The truth is whether it be a race or life a little bit of luck and some nepotism always helps.

To say nothing of having a global pharma-corp as your personal sponsor.

Oh yeah, a little money going the right way seems to help as well...

You Lanceboys really make me laugh. You want to know why cycling fans don't like LA?

All riders work hard and train hard. All riders strive for wins with all the fortitude they have. All riders dedicate their lives to cycling.

Not all riders have a 'main-line' to the UCI, and not all riders have been able to covertly make 'donations' to that body to their personal gain.

Lance isn't the only rider with a good story, he just happens to be the one rider you care about. Without end, and with a blind eye to his misdeeds.

Keep the love going, you only make yourself look silly...

Dettol

BANNED
Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you stupid? Read the first sentence: Man I don't believe in it but most people do.

I am not a Lance fanboy. Unlike you I try to understand other people's perspectives on why they are drawn to him and like him. The guy has his merits however symbolic they are.

The thing is when Lance gets found out for doping it will be a sad day for cycling regardless where you stand on the issue.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Dettol said:
Are you stupid? Read the first sentence: Man I don't believe in it but most people do.

I am not a Lance fanboy. Unlike you I try to understand other people's perspectives on why they are drawn to him and like him. The guy has his merits however symbolic they are.

The thing is when Lance gets found out for doping it will be a sad day for cycling regardless where you stand on the issue.

Unreal.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be beligerent, but you're doing a really good job of it.

Your rabid 'attacks' are really pathetic. I hope you're getting paid for this cr*p, otherwise you're just making yourself look foolish.

Do you actually have anything intelligent to say?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Fowsto Cope-E said:
This is why I can't stand the guy. He completely defames anyone who speaks out against him. Doping is bad; lying about doping is worse; destroying peoples reputations in order to cover up your lies about doping is absolutely horrible.

Although I have never doped or known anyone who has doped nor have I a reputatione to defame I understands your point thumbs down on Lance.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Back in October my daughter's High School Biology Teacher handed out LiveStrong Bands to all the students in her Biology class. The class right before LiveStrong Day.

The class was studying cancer and the teacher, a cancer survivor and cyclist herself - challenged the class to help find cures for cancer later in their lives. My kid wants to study Art/Lit/Hist btw.....

Anyway, there was one kid in the class of 28 who never heard of Lance. Other class members were a bit suprised lol. Although I bet none of them ever heard of Eddy:(

Yes, Lance has many lessons for many people

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Back in October my daughter's High School Biology Teacher handed out LiveStrong Bands to all the students in her Biology class. The class right before LiveStrong Day.

The class was studying cancer and the teacher, a cancer survivor and cyclist herself - challenged the class to help find cures for cancer later in their lives. My kid wants to study Art/Lit/Hist btw.....

Anyway, there was one kid in the class of 28 who never heard of Lance. Other class members were a bit suprised lol. Although I bet none of them ever heard of Eddy:(

yep, biggest one is don't believe the myth and turn into a fanboy trying to justify your fanboyism by posting pointless drivel for most of your waking life on forums such as this.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
yep, biggest one is don't believe the myth and turn into a fanboy trying to justify your fanboyism by posting pointless drivel for most of your waking life on forums such as this.

Lance contributes to a criterium which has as its marqui Ryans ride. Ryan died of cancer age 7 I think. Good work by livestrong. Kids fun races and awards between the adult races.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

Smart move by Nike. Never too early to indoctrinate a future consumer.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Why are you even reading it?
Reading the drivel is even worse than writing it lol.
Dude, learn a lesson from Lance and just give it a SSDD ignore.

Race Radio said:
Smart move by Nike. Never too early to indoctrinate a future consumer.

Yes, Nike was working in concert with my kid's Biology Teacher to indoctrinate future customers.

Can't fool you RR.

I just wish he could have stopped at 5 wins as the world, the haters, Novitsky investigation , and everyone else would have more than likely left him alone. But something drove him to greed hence where we are now. So a lesson would have been to limit it to 4-5 TdF wins and all this turmoil could have been avoided.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
masking_agent said:
I just wish he could have stopped at 5 wins as the world, the haters, Novitsky investigation , and everyone else would have more than likely left him alone. But something drove him to greed hence where we are now. So a lesson would have been to limit it to 4-5 TdF wins and all this turmoil could have been avoided.

In 2005, he was riding a wave of adoration. It's intoxicating.

He also needed to cool it and figure-out a new strategy, as they'd figured-out how to detect transfusions that year. I think his return to the sport was more like a gambling addiction rather than ego driven. The testers were his greatest rivals, not fellow athletes. He had a compulsive drive to prove he could beat all of it. And he did (technically). But the data piles up and the results stick around.

Benotti69 said:
it's like watching a car crash:D

or a train wreck in super slow motion.

711px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895_2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS