• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lest We Forget

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Unbelievable isn't it, we can't discuss the death of a highly popular and successful cyclist without someone coming up with `whingeing pommies...'.

I was too young during the 1960s to know anything about Simpson at the time. But during the 70s my clubmates still held him in awe. I think it's extraordinary that he won British Sportsman of the Year, I assume that he was the first UK cyclist to do so, or was it Reg Harris?

Yes, normally I'd let a pathetic post by that person i had a pop at go but i had to say something because of Tommy Simpson, a pioneer and best ever British rider.

The Stupid cow that posted that disrespectful stuff earlier should of been strangled at birth.

I think it was Simpson as personality of the year I'm but not entirely certain. he came up against legendery riders like Merckx so it was tough for him but he was class.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Yes, normally I'd let a pathetic post by that person i had a pop at go but i had to say something because of Tommy Simpson, a pioneer and best ever British rider.

The Stupid cow that posted that disrespectful stuff earlier should of been strangled at birth.

I think it was Simpson as personality of the year I'm but not entirely certain. he came up against legendery riders like Merckx so it was tough for him but he was class.

A mate lent me Simpson's autobiography, that was an interesting read. One of his stories was riding the first 100 kms or so of Milan San Remo just for the training (he didn't have many winter miles in his legs), blasting off the other riders and then climbing off and grinning as Anquetil and the others came past. A bit later he was riding to win a minor stage race, and one of his rivals broke away. Because of the standings Simpson thought that Anquetil would help out, but he wouldn't. When Simpson challenged Anquetil about this the latter said `remember Milan San Remo'. He said it was a lesson he never forgot, have respect for your rivals.