• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lets Call The Whole Thing Off......

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Haha, recently I've been thinking why some posters aren't on my ignore list. Then I realise they only post for one three-week period every year.

I demand you put that female avatar of yours back on!!

Ye Gods. Thankfully Maserati, Scribe and a few others are making some sense here, else I would have thought this was a gamers forum having a go at commenting on pro cycling. Okay, there may be some room to debate the refusal to race the finish, but to impeach the decision to slow it down after an episode of random carnage, and deem the riders ***? You cannot be serious.

scribe said:
I demand you put that female avatar of yours back on!!

Have to admit I was in two minds, but I'll put her back when Sylvain loses yellow.

2qkqrgj.jpg

May 5, 2010
Visit site
As a newbie the end of the race today was very unimpressive

I am a newbie when it comes to watching road racing. I watch a number of different sports. If an activity like Cancellera's hold occurred in any other sport there would be a major investigation. Seemed more like a fix than a protest. Sportsmanship to me is putting everything out and competing not impacting the results to keep your friends in the race. The only entertainment I do not watch that resembles what I saw today is professional wrestling like the WWE organization.

The way they handle the crowds, cars and motorcycles really surprises me. Letting non-competitors interfere with the race just seems stupid. I guess the pros are used to it.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Red Lobster said:
Ye Gods. Thankfully Maserati, Scribe and a few others are making some sense here, else I would have thought this was a gamers forum having a go at commenting on pro cycling. Okay, there may be some room to debate the refusal to race the finish, but to impeach the decision to slow it down after an episode of random carnage, and deem the riders ***? You cannot be serious.

They're serious alright.:eek:

We're actually very fortunate a rider wasn't run over by a car.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
TigerFish said:
I am a newbie when it comes to watching road racing. I watch a number of different sports. If an activity like Cancellera's hold occurred in any other sport there would be a major investigation. Seemed more like a fix than a protest. Sportsmanship to me is putting everything out and competing not impacting the results to keep your friends in the race. The only entertainment I do not watch that resembles what I saw today is professional wrestling like the WWE organization.

The way they handle the crowds, cars and motorcycles really surprises me. Letting non-competitors interfere with the race just seems stupid. I guess the pros are used to it.

the idea is to not let a very good rider beat the strongest riders for overall because of a singular fluke on the course.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
TigerFish said:

These types of issues occur in many types of racing including motor cycle and automobile racing.

Ayrton Senna, one of the greatest Formula 1 drivers of all time took it upon himself to speak out for safety and was killed the same weekend as another driver, Ratzenberger, and was carrying Ratzenberger's flag and was going to wave it if he won.

Senna was unimpeachable when speaking out about safety, and someone of Cancellera's stature in the yellow jersey has similiar influence. Of course there may be some dissention, but apart from Hushovd, I didn't hear much complaining.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: irritated_cycling_fan post

irritated_cycling_fan.... I too have been reading this forum for years without bothering to post, but you have articulated my thoughts exactly. The forum sometimes degenerates into namecalling and a p!ssing competition. Bottom line on Stage 3 is that the riders (& it wasn't just Cancellara) did the right thing by the 'whole' peloton, not just their own teams self interest. :cool:

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Smart advice - these are your only 2 other comments on this thread:

When you go calling out other posters you shouldn't really be suprised if they respond.

Im looking forward to reading your opinions on todays race.

LMFAO, Are you serious? Surprised that he responded? When did I say I was surprised? Do you actually think its difficult to get one of those 3 I mentioned to respond? Its like taking candy from a baby.
Todays race? If the Yellow Jersey goes down you wait. I dont think the race should be held up because the Yellow Jersey's teammates went down.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
Senna was unimpeachable when speaking out about safety, and someone of Cancellera's stature in the yellow jersey has similiar influence. Of course there may be some dissention, but apart from Hushovd, I didn't hear much complaining.

Would you and the other posters feel the same way if it was Armstrong in Yellow today? If LA held up the race to say, let Kloden catch back up to keep his podium hopes alive?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
LMFAO, Are you serious? Surprised that he responded? When did I say I was surprised? Do you actually think its difficult to get one of those 3 I mentioned to respond? Its like taking candy from a baby.
Todays race? If the Yellow Jersey goes down you wait. I dont think the race should be held up because the Yellow Jersey's teammates went down.

BUT

here is what happened according to Millar

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2010/07/05/the-millar-diaries-absolute-carnage

Whitey kept reminding us to be at the front over the top to avoid crashes, and that’s where we were even after the chase of the previous crash. Within only 200 meters of cresting I could see Lance fall about ten places in front of me on a straight road. When I saw that happen I knew something wasn’t right — and that was immediately followed by my wheels disappearing from under me and my sliding across the ground.

As I came to a standstill, Christian passed and asked if I was all right, to which I replied yes and got right back on my bike. At this point there were guys everywhere on the ground all around me.

Only 200 meters after getting back on my bike I was faced with a Cofidis rider losing control in front of me. There was nothing I could do and I hit him and somersaulted over my handlebars, landing heavily on my ribs in a ditch thinking this time. I wasn't fine.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
BUT

here is what happened according to Millar

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2010/07/05/the-millar-diaries-absolute-carnage

Whitey kept reminding us to be at the front over the top to avoid crashes, and that’s where we were even after the chase of the previous crash. Within only 200 meters of cresting I could see Lance fall about ten places in front of me on a straight road. When I saw that happen I knew something wasn’t right — and that was immediately followed by my wheels disappearing from under me and my sliding across the ground.

As I came to a standstill, Christian passed and asked if I was all right, to which I replied yes and got right back on my bike. At this point there were guys everywhere on the ground all around me.

Only 200 meters after getting back on my bike I was faced with a Cofidis rider losing control in front of me. There was nothing I could do and I hit him and somersaulted over my handlebars, landing heavily on my ribs in a ditch thinking this time. I wasn't fine.

Shouldnt have waited.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:

So your only aim was to bait people.

If only Andy had fallen you may have a point - but 60+ riders fell with almost every team effected and the rest with riders held up.

It was correct to wait - but they should have contested the finish.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Cancellara was right to slow up the peleton and wait for the crash victims.

He was wrong to force a no sprint once the bunch was back together, it’s the organisers fault though, they are the ones holding the flags and loudspeakers making the decisions and the buck stops with them.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
So your only aim was to bait people.

If only Andy had fallen you may have a point - but 60+ riders fell with almost every team effected and the rest with riders held up.

It was correct to wait - but they should have contested the finish.

I didnt bait anyone, I just simply pointed out their absence on this thread bashing The Canc for the same things they bash LA for.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
I didnt bait anyone, I just simply pointed out their absence on this thread bashing The Canc for the same things they bash LA for.

Is that why you said getting a reaction would be "like taking candy from a baby"?

This is not about Armstrong - he fell to, and his team waited on him and his comments after the stage suggest he was not unhappy that everyone waited.

When there are that many riders hitting the deck or held up its correct to wait - this is a GT, not a one day race.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Is that why you said getting a reaction would be "like taking candy from a baby"?

This is not about Armstrong - he fell to, and his team waited on him and his comments after the stage suggest he was not unhappy that everyone waited.

When there are that many riders hitting the deck or held up its correct to wait - this is a GT, not a one day race.

Noble effort, but pointless trying to reason.:)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

If its not about LA then see post #164.

Yes, taking candy from a baby, they are to predictable.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
If its not about LA then see post #164.

Yes, taking candy from a baby, they are to predictable.

Yes - of course, buckwheat' should have edited out David Millars remarks about LA when he was quoting Millar.............

Wallace said:
Sigh.

I've got a lot of respect for you Joe, but really. Come on.

Sorry - I didn't include the (necessary) reference to the fact that I had the Military Channel playing on the TV to the right of my monitors while I was typing that and - surprise - it was replaying World at War (WW2 coverage).

No reference meant re. Canc' = Hitler. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Well I think this is conclusive proof that the only thing holding back exciting races is the professional peloton.. this was a brutal slayage of a potentially interesting stage... only 18 to go... this is almost enough to stop watching.. I mean really.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Barnaby said:
To Mr Cancellara et al:

Dear Precious Ones,

This is how REAL men ride the Stockeu:

hinault2-600x396.jpg

MTFU.

Regards,

Bernard.

Again: have you honestly never wondered how this can be humanly possible ??!!

Come on - I'm from Luxembourg and we learned about Charly Gaul's TdF wins in elementary school, where he gained 10 minutes on everyone else on a mountain stage where there was a blizzard and it was below freezing ....

These stories are nice for elementary school textbooks but anyone who can add 2 and 2 together knows that no one did that on Camembert and Bordeaux alone.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Thought this was interesting from Sastre:

"We took the initiative to start racing again as Thor Hushovd, Jérémy Hunt and I were in the leading group but no-one was helping us. Then Fabian Cancellara told Thor that the race had been neutralised and we weren’t receiving any information on the radio. The race was stopped and then all the people who had taken a fall came back into the main group."

How did Cancellara know when others didn't?
Did he lie to stop them riding?
Was he just hoping it would be?

Hopefully today lives up to my anticipation :)