• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lets Call The Whole Thing Off......

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The roads they raced on are well known and are always used. They have maps and radios. If Cadel Evans and Sastre fell and others did not, would Saxo Bank have waited. No. Saxo Bank got desperate. Usually if the yellow jersey falls the peloton will wait but the yellow jersey did not fall. Secondly there was no reason at all not to allow the sprinters to race it out for second spot.

What happens on the cobbles of today's stage if the Schleck's fall again ? Are the buch supposed to wait again ? It's a bike race. You take the good with the bad. Luck is always a part of it. Christian Van De Velde is jinxed. What a horror run he has had with injuries and falls.

Cancellara over reacted. With a hard chase the Schlecks probably would have got back anyway. They had team mates with them. I can imagine what Hinault thought. Great win for Chavanel but the stage was ruined by one team's pettiness and desperation.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
The roads they raced on are well known and are always used. They have maps and radios.
I take it you haven't been following the case. A motorcycle crashed and there was oil on the decent. Riders report that mechanics and similar stepping out of the cars on foot were slidding around and falling. This was not a normal part of racing.

movingtarget said:
Cancellara over reacted. With a hard chase the Schlecks probably would have got back anyway. They had team mates with them. I can imagine what Hinault thought. Great win for Chavanel but the stage was ruined by one team's pettiness and desperation.
3 minutes behind with 20K to go? No way they can close that unless the front group is going slow, even if they hadn't crashed.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
phlatties said:
did the guys during the Super Prestige Pernod schedule era ***** like this?

Actually yes!!

I found some of LBL references earlier amusing - because in the 1988 LBL there was a huge crash on a descent that took out many riders, and like yesterday because it was chaos and nobody knew what had happened they waited.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
waiting no problem. are they complaining about circumstances surrounding a course that organizers have no control over? If this is what the biggest most challenging race on the cycling calendar is coming to then I'll pass on giving a S#*T. Even kids at LorettaLynns' Nat'ls don't complain about mud and blue grooves and rutted faces. F this, give me DH and motocross.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
phlatties said:
waiting no problem. are they complaining about circumstances surrounding a course that organizers have no control over? If this is what the biggest most challenging race on the cycling calendar is coming to then I'll pass on giving a S#*T. Even kids at LorettaLynns' Nat'ls don't complain about mud and blue grooves and rutted faces. F this, give me DH and motocross.

Just pointing out it is not the first time something similar has happened - and at the time there were a lot of protests (IIRC roadworks or new suface)

Bat as I said earlier - once the dust had settled the racing should have resumed.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
you're right Doc. It is human nature to react as we do to situations that are bad for us. My post included. I do honestly feel that the race will sort out its issues like she always does. puts these boys in their place (fans and pundits included) and is beautiful to watch and understand.

like you said...race on. don't really care who wins. As long as the race does in the end.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
mmmmh...?

Why no wait for LA today Saxo. I mean he was in the race? boc boc boooc booocc Cancellara attacks after a crash!!! What a difference Fabian Cancellara 24hrs make......!!!

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
phlatties said:

Your sig line is the bomb. can I use it?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
Your sig line is the bomb. can I use it?

have at it & spread the word, brother! All my years on bikes for fun with bmx, road, mtb, cyclo-x, a little moto, that is the only thing I've ever come away with. oh yeah and...
...don't take the smooth line fast, take the fast line smooth...;)