• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Let's celebrate the end of the career of one of the worst riders of the past decade

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
It's absolutely nothing at all to do with the US economy (which, by the way, is in a bettter state than it was 2 years ago - the sponsors weren't leaving then). Example: Nissan are asking to have their name removed from the RSNT jerseys even though they have already paid for another year of sponsorship. Teams are having to fold because the sponsors have lost faith with USAC and the high-profile US riders involved in this mess. You don't see the "US economy" having an effect on other sports' sponsorship.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Are you also one of those idiots who believe that Rabobank quit cycling because of the economy?

yeah comparing a lifelong cycling sponsor like rabobank with smaller domestic usa sponsoring, or are you going to denie that even in the netherlands sports sponsoring is still fine? :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Levi and Contador were really friendly in that race though.

And it was Contador that was sucking Levis wheel there too.

contador wasn't so friendly about leipheime rafter the race and rightfully so.

Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah comparing a lifelong cycling sponsor like rabobank with smaller domestic usa sponsoring, or are you going to denie that even in the netherlands sports sponsoring is still fine? :rolleyes:
No, but since Rabo announced a contract extension just 2 years ago, when the economy already went down the toilet, I don't think the two things are interrelated.

I imagine many companies in the US were interested in cycling sponsorship purely on the back of the Lance Armstrong saga. And boy did that saga turn out to be too good to be true.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Because "bad" is a very subjective concept, and here it doesn't refer to sheer athletic capabilities or to having a good palmares.

I don't think it is a subjective concept in this context. Bad is bad, as in not very good quality-wise or untalented.

If a rider is unattractive, boring, one-dimensional or an opportunistic coward, I would expect someone to use those terms.

Shardi said:
Levi Leipheimer is way better than any of your colombian prospects,, I mean c'mon,, rujano?

1) Rujano isn't Colombian (as pointed out here above)

but more importantly, 2:
16. (45) [COL] URAN URAN Rigoberto SKY 26/01/1987 1162
19. (347) [COL] HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis SKY 10/12/1987 1136
60. (851) [COL] QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander MOV 04/02/1990 707
62. (22) [USA] LEIPHEIMER Levi - 24/10/1973 694
67. (207) [COL] BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto ASA 13/10/1989 669

Thats 3 colombians who outperformed Leipheimer last year...all 3 of them at the age of 25 or younger.
And a 4th one (also younger than 25) just behind.

I think you'll find that those 'colombian prospects' do just fine..

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
1) Rujano isn't Colombian (as pointed out here above)

but more importantly, 2:
16. (45) [COL] URAN URAN Rigoberto SKY 26/01/1987 1162
19. (347) [COL] HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis SKY 10/12/1987 1136
60. (851) [COL] QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander MOV 04/02/1990 707
62. (22) [USA] LEIPHEIMER Levi - 24/10/1973 694
67. (207) [COL] BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto ASA 13/10/1989 669

Thats 3 colombians who outperformed Leipheimer last year...all 3 of them at the age of 25 or younger.
And a 4th one (also younger than 25) just behind.

I think you'll find that those 'colombian prospects' do just fine..

I think you'll find Leipheimer has a better palmares than all of them combined.

El Pistolero said:
I think you'll find Leipheimer has a better palmares than all of them combined.
Well duh, because he is a gazillion years older and had ample time to build a honour list. I'll think you'll find Leipheimers honour roll at age 25 wasn't exactly on the same level as the Colombians. On the contrary in fact...
Also his first year in Europe was not exactly as impressing as Quintana and Henao for instance.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well duh, because he is a gazillion years older and had ample time to build a honour list. I'll think you'll find Leipheimers honour roll at age 25 wasn't exactly on the same level as the Colombians. On the contrary in fact...
Also his first year in Europe was not exactly as impressing as Quintana and Henao for instance.

They've got more pro seasons combined. ;)

These Colombians have already been riding since forever. Has Uran really grown over the last 5 years? Yeah, barely. And I know what happened to him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts