• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Levi Leipheimer

Levi Leipheimer doped in 1996. The media won't talk about it, but you can find the original USA Cycling press release at Pappillon along with some commentary on the hypocrisy already - unfortunately - being displayed by Taylor Phinney.

An excerpt is below."A USA Cycling disciplinary panel recommended that Levi Leipheimer receive a three-month suspension as a result of a violation of Bylaw N., Section 2, Part 4, ..."

I decided to post it up on my site so that the inevitable traffic and linking will help ensure that this newsworthy item isn't buried again. Please share the post address and link up to it.

http://joepapp.blogspot.com/2010/04/...itive-for.html

Thanks,

JOE

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Levi Leipheimer doped in 1996. The media won't talk about it, but you can find the original USA Cycling press release at Pappillon along with some commentary on the hypocrisy already - unfortunately - being displayed by Taylor Phinney.

An excerpt is below."A USA Cycling disciplinary panel recommended that Levi Leipheimer receive a three-month suspension as a result of a violation of Bylaw N., Section 2, Part 4, ..."

I decided to post it up on my site so that the inevitable traffic and linking will help ensure that this newsworthy item isn't buried again. Please share the post address and link up to it.

http://joepapp.blogspot.com/2010/04/...itive-for.html

Thanks,

JOE

If you weren't blocked on twitter before, you are now :p

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I was looking for documents to back up that claim some yeas ago - it was said confidently, but I never found substantiation of it.

Never got to the bottom of it - as you say, the media never talk about it. Thanks for solving a mystery.

How much dope does it take to make your head this big relative to your body?

4560691407_24a31c7d4d.jpg

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
How much dope does it take to make your head this big relative to your body?

4560691407_24a31c7d4d.jpg

Johan's head isn't that much bigger than everyone else's :p.

I do wonder why they are sending their genius DS and GT leaders to a two-bit **** small race, and the second string to the Tour of Romandie. Wouldn't they get better form racing against Kreuziger and co in Switzerland?

To paraphrase Cavendish and Bruyneel, 'We might as well get **** small wins...'

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
But he's clean now... Right? :rolleyes:

Do we know what Bylaw N., Section 2, Part 4 is?
USCF Rulebook 1996.

Bylaw N - Medical Control.

Section 2. - Prohibited Substances, Boosting, and Penalties.

Part 4. - Prohibited Practices.
No rider may use the substances listed in Table 1 or Table 2. It
is the rider's responsibility.

Table 1. Prohibited Substances: (See attached link)

Table 2. Prohibited Substances: (See attached link))

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Hog/Armstrong riders who admitted doping or tested positive

Stephan Swart
JV
Manuel Beltrán
Ivan Basso
Gianpaolo Mondini
Frankie Andreau
Tyler Hamilton
Benoît Joachim
David Clinger
Roberto Heras
Floyd Landis
Kirk O'Bee
Lance Armstrong
Levi Leipheimer

And a bunch more (Jemison, Hincapie, Baranowski, livingston) who "Never tested positive"

Race Radio said:

Stephan Swart
JV
Manuel Beltrán
Ivan Basso
Gianpaolo Mondini
Frankie Andreau
Tyler Hamilton
Benoît Joachim
David Clinger
Roberto Heras
Floyd Landis
Kirk O'Bee
Lance Armstrong
Levi Leipheimer

And a bunch more (Jemison, Hincapie, Baranowski, livingston) who "Never tested positive"

And Livingston is "anonymous source", so he admitted as well... Kinda...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
here is a curious thought just occurred to me.

is it possible that the same type of media black-out/wipe-out was applied to armstrong ?

for example, can't recall all the details and names nor have the time do a search NOW, but wasn't there some olympic official who claimed there was a list of names with positive tests that had gone missing before the olympics.

i recall a speculation (from the sca trial ??) that armstrong was on that list ?

thoughts ?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think it refers back to the IM JV and Andreau had, and JV winning the mountain TT at '99 Dauphine and set (at the time) a new record for climbing Mont Ventoux.

And I think Joachim refers back to the Luxembourg National Championships?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
When did JV test positive? Any source?Thank you.
If you read back to RR's post he said admitted/tested positive.

Here is an interview that Vaughters did with Kimmage in 2008 - you can draw your own conclusions.

Also JV had a HCT of 52% for the 99 Tour, but had a 'special dispensation'.

Also there is the IM between JV & Andreu:
Cyclevaughters: anyhow, i never can quite figure out why i don't just play along with the lance crowd - i mean **** it would make my life easier, eh? it's not like i never played with hotsauce, eh?

I believe 'JPMlondon' is mistaken that it was Kevin Livingston who was the anonomous source for the NYT article, most believe it was JV as Kevin has a nice thing going in the basement of 'Mellow Johnnys'.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Great quote in this interview, too:
the most sophisticated dopers use cutting-edge products that aren't detectable (i.e., autologous transfusion), and/or learn ways to avoid testing positive by masking strategies (i.e., adding proteases to urine, or dodging the DCO for 20 minutes).

(My emphasis) - hmm, guess Ashenden noticed that, too....

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Stephan Swart
JV
Manuel Beltrán
Ivan Basso
Gianpaolo Mondini
Frankie Andreau
Tyler Hamilton
Benoît Joachim
David Clinger
Roberto Heras
Floyd Landis
Kirk O'Bee
Lance Armstrong
Levi Leipheimer

You forgot a couple from this year.

Fuyu Li - Team Radioshack 2010 positive test
Thomas Frei's admission:

Frei said that he had been doping since the summer of 2008, and that his inner circle was aware of it. “I am not a hardcore liar, I had to talk about it.” Frei rode for Astana in 2007 and 2008, before joining BMC in 2009.

Frei wouldn't qualify as a teammate of LA, but certainly as a JB rider who admitted to doping while riding for the Hog.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Frei wouldn't qualify as a teammate of LA, but certainly as a JB rider who admitted to doping while riding for the Hog.

Frei said that he had been doping since the summer of 2008, and that his inner circle was aware of it. “I am not a hardcore liar, I had to talk about it.” Frei rode for Astana in 2007 and 2008, before joining BMC in 2009.
oops, so frei admits doping whilst astana's internal anti-doping program was run by the highly touted damsgaard ?

i tought damsgaard was so good that he even now got a job with the uci.

who else did he miss ? oh wait, i know, he missed gusev, whose life got destroyed by damsgaard/bruyneel even though gusev got vindicated by cas.
i never liked that damsgaard guy and now im starting to doubt his professionalism.
added:
lance should have hired damsgaard in stead of catlin and we all would be happy happy now that lance had not broken his own promise to the world.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
python said:
oops, so frei admits doping whilst astana's internal anti-doping program was run by the highly touted damsgaard ?

i tought damsgaard was so good that he even now got a job with the uci.

who else did he miss ? oh wait, i know, he missed gusev, whose life got destroyed by damsgaard/bruyneel even though gusev got vindicated by cas.

i never liked that damsgaard guy and now im starting to doubt his professionalism.

added:
lance should have hired damsgaard in stead of catlin and we all would be happy happy now that lance had not broken his own promise to the world.

python said:
...damsgaard...who else did he miss ? oh wait, i know, he missed gusev, whose life got destroyed by damsgaard/bruyneel even though gusev got vindicated by cas...

For those who don't remember off the top of their heads, Python is of course referring to the unlucky Vladimir Gusev, whose career was destroyed by the demon Combo referred to above. Gusev was fired from Astana without appeal in 2008 when he returned supposed abnormal values in an internal check, despite the rider's own protestations of innocence and the fact that he was cleared by the CAS of any suspicion of doping - and Astana ordered to pay all of his legal costs and back wages.

I can't imagine that such shenanigans by team mgmt would have been tolerated had Vino' been in his rightful position...and I'm sure that - while still not a solution to his lack of a trade team - when Vino' told the world's media thatBruyneel would not be at Astana after his return, Gusev probably felt a little bit vindicated.

God, I'm so pleased that Vino' is back in action, AND that he kicked the sh(i)t out of L-B-L. :cool:

leipheimer got pinched 14 years ago for a little too much ephedra (widely available OTC at the time) and served a measily 3 month suspension.....there's a new number one on my "who gives a damn list".

maybe instead of working my real job i'll start a blog and write sensationally about non-news items and to generate interest in an otherwise worthless blog post i'll generate discussion and link to it from cycling forums.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
leipheimer got pinched 14 years ago for a little too much ephedra (widely available OTC at the time) and served a measily 3 month suspension.....there's a new number one on my "who gives a damn list".

maybe instead of working my real job i'll start a blog and write sensationally about non-news items and to generate interest in an otherwise worthless blog post i'll generate discussion and link to it from cycling forums.

It's pretty well known that you have a personal dislike of Joe (and I'm being polite in my description)...but apparently a few of us do find this thread, and the information herein, of interest.

But hey, feel free to drop in with yet another ad hominem attack reiterating the aforementioned personal dislike of the OP...it contributes to the thread immensely :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS