• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Levi losing ToC instead of dominating, sign of change

Unfortunately, Zabriskie's on the list, too--and I doubt he's suddenly cleaned up since joining Jonathan "the past is the past" Vaughters.

Which is a shame, cuz I genuinely like Zabriskie. He's one of the few US pedal turners I can say that about. (Also, no way is Rogers clean.)

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone ever visit "downtown" LA? The road surface is dreadful. A light guy like Levi bouncing around and not getting the watts to hook up.

All in all, it looks about the same to me. SSDD

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I think what's changed is there are actually more riders (as in Rogers and Zabriskie) than just Leipheimer targeting the race this year, since it's no longer held in February.

goggalor said:
I think what's changed is there are actually more riders (as in Rogers and Zabriskie) than just Leipheimer targeting the race this year, since it's no longer held in February.

Yep, Levi was one of the few willing to peak in February and blow much of the rest of the season on a race few others cared about.

I'm sure he's a bit scared to "go big" on the blood bags as well given what's going on, and rightly so.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
goggalor said:

exactly... normally levi was pretty much the only rider who peak in feb. now they are all looking at the tour so their form in may is alot better

Moose McKnuckles said:
Yep. Excellent point.

Masterstroke by Versus. The ToC has finished early and they need to plug an hour. What do they show? The 2001 Tour de France stage 10 to l'alpe d'Huez. You know the "look" stage that Lance wins in impressive stye. I just need to cross reference the year to Landis's email so I know what really happened.

What is Versus thinking?

thehog said:
Masterstroke by Versus. The ToC has finished early and they need to plug an hour. What do they show? The 2001 Tour de France stage 10 to l'alpe d'Huez. You know the "look" stage that Lance wins in impressive stye. I just need to cross reference the year to Landis's email so I know what really happened.

What is Versus thinking?

Get while the gettin's good. Liestrong is going to be exposed for the fraud he is.

Ferrari won that stage, not Lance.

BroDeal said:
It is a good thing that Leipheimer did not win. Having one rider, a local boy, win year after year detracts from the portrayal of the race as an international competition.

Completely agree. I rather think it's quite sad in a way. Leipheimer is being handed a bone in exchange for being a mule for the Tour.

Did someone say Basque Country will top RS's palmares this year?

I beg to differ. We all know it's the Tour of the Gila.

;)

Moose McKnuckles said:
Completely agree. I rather think it's quite sad in a way. Leipheimer is being handed a bone in exchange for being a mule for the Tour.

Did someone say Basque Country will top RS's palmares this year?

I beg to differ. We all know it's the Tour of the Gila.

;)

Isn't Gila the third biggest race of the year, right after the Tour de France and the Tour of California?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
What is Versus thinking?

Um, they show cycling on their channel and this old highlight show was scheduled a week ago?

Bashing Versus is easy, but their cutoff of the end of Stage 3 of the ToC and their non-live "live" coverage of today's TT is what deserves bashing.

Frankly, monsieur, I am shocked that you watched that old TdF stage today.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Calling Leipheimer a "mule" in light of the previous days allegations is a little unfortunate! Maybe Leipheimer is up against a fit, healthy Michael Rogers for a change. Rogers has had a frustrating few years. What a year Sagan has had so far.

The actual reality is that the 'change' is a change of date. Who outside of the USA gives a toss about a race in February apart from maybe a few of the Aussies coming off the TDU. Moving it to May has meant that there are more guys competing who are further on in their preparation so of course there is going to be more competition.

Why do people on here always have to make up some bullsh!t story in an attempt to turn the obvious into someting suspicious.

Don't answer the last comment I already know why:rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Moving it to May has meant that there are more guys competing who are further on in their preparation so of course there is going to be more competition.

Like Cancellara and Andy Schleck, LOL?? :D

What is up with them?

This is very odd.

And Horner is not exactly on fire like he was in Spain a while back.

Maybe the UCI have been ramping up the blood profile stuff and have longer data series for baseline comparisons on individual riders. Are there informal warnings given, or indications of interest in certain profiles, with notice given to teams? (To pre-empt later positives and to save cycling's image: remember UCI is in a conflict of interest as both the regulator/tester and promoter of the sport).

Of course, this might be blood withdrawal time for later use in the Tour. A big/outlier low now for an even bigger bounce/high later. Seems early. Thought it always used to be done around the time of the Dauphine.

But Cancellara's placing in the TT was bizarre. These guys lose some of their top end, but they shouldn't be losing their core power/FTP by a whole lot.

Parrot23 said:
Like Cancellara and Andy Schleck, LOL?? :D

What is up with them?

This is very odd.

And Horner is not exactly on fire like he was in Spain a while back.

Maybe the UCI have been ramping up the blood profile stuff and have longer data series for baseline comparisons on individual riders. Are there informal warnings given, or indications of interest in certain profiles, with notice given to teams? (To pre-empt later positives and to save cycling's image: remember UCI is in a conflict of interest as both the regulator/tester and promoter of the sport).

Of course, this might be blood withdrawal time for later use in the Tour. A big/outlier low now for an even bigger bounce/high later. Seems early. Thought it always used to be done around the time of the Dauphine.

But Cancellara's placing in the TT was bizarre. These guys lose some of their top end, but they shouldn't be losing their core power/FTP by a whole lot.

There's nothing odd about it, it's called a 2 peak season. You can't peak for Flanders and Roubaix (or LBL) and be peaked now, and be peaked for the Tour. They're quite simply in a rebuilding phase right now.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for feedback.

LOL, wasn't thinking the Saxo guys in particular would be going for win(s)/peaked, but I'm impressed by the lows. :rolleyes:

Riis even feels he needs to give an explanation, as in this is unusual. Seeing Andy in the grupetto is an unusual sight, as is a Cancellara who isn't at least competitive in a TT at any time.

Thinking of Evans here, to some extent as a comparator (recognizing of course that the Giro is a key objective of his--as is the Tour). He doesn't generally have the same highs and lows, but a more even profile, and we all know what that is more consistent with.

Maybe the guys with the huge aerobic/diesel engines (VO2 max) have flatter/more consistent seasonal profiles. Sassi says, for instance, that Cadel is a more aerobic/diesel rider than even Basso (and he coaches both), and that says a lot. This doesn't explain A. Schleck now, though.

TRENDING THREADS