• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Levi's blood values in 2005 pretty suspicious

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
I don't think the UCI could sanction for blood values alone.

Funny, even when a guy has the most suspicious of values, he is still not caught. The Landis program worked for Levi.

If HMH chose risking a positive test, over the legal battle that could have come from benching a rider, then he clearly knew what was going on and chose the least risky path. For HMH to be so indignant over the doping, it belies his actions in the face of it.

Again, being hopeful here; could Levi sell out the UCI effectively in exchange for some form of immunity? This combined with any other complicit activity that comes out of testimony could hurt the really bad people and raises the stakes to the international level.

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Good point.

More importantly the UCI

knows it sent letter to Levi in 2005 in regards to use blood values but still choose to

DISMISS Landis’s claims. Instead it concentrated on bending the Landis *email slightly out of shape by saying Landis and Leipheimer weren’t on the same team in 2005.

This drops the UCI right in it.

They claim everything Landis said were lies but here we have evidence that they were sending letters to Leipheimer about his blood values and more to the point recommend he should be withdrawn from racing due to blood manipulation! Smoking gun? Or have the UCI just put their foot in it?

May 24, 2010
Visit site
jobiwan said:
I have no problem with people telling the truth. It's telling the truth just for self-promotion that I have a problem with.

But isn't "truth" just plain old "truth"? No matter what context you tell it in, or time that you tell it?
Boy, you would think that the definition of truth would be pretty simple. But then we ought to know better.
In this case, I'm going with HMH, he looks like just one more man who could not live with the lies of the past. It's not looking too good for the old gang.

editedbymod said:
More importantly the UCI

knows it sent letter to Levi in 2005 in regards to use blood values but still choose to

DISMISS Landis’s claims. Instead it concentrated on bending the Landis *email slightly out of shape by saying Landis and Leipheimer weren’t on the same team in 2005.

They claim everything Landis said were lies but here we have evidence that they were sending letters to Leipheimer about his blood values and more to the point recommend he should be withdrawn from racing due to blood manipulation! Smoking gun? Or have the UCI just put their foot in it?

I have the feeling PM's reflexive dismissals will come back to severely haunt the UCI.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
LKing25 said:
What is even more interesting is following Op Puerto in 2006 Levi Leipheimer bombed in the ITT finishing over 5 minutes down on the winner on a pancake flat course and yet 3 days later contested a sprint finish in the toughest stage of the pyrenees. Now consider that Levi has always been a banker on time trials doesnt anyone consider it strange that he lost 5 minutes in his favoured discipline and yet a few days later was almost winning a high mountain finish?

never heard of bad days?? he has them in every gt

May 5, 2009
Visit site
editedbymod said:
More importantly the UCI knows it sent letter to Levi in 2005 in regards to use blood values but still choose to DISMISS Landis’s claims. Instead it concentrated on bending the Landis *email slightly out of shape by saying Landis and Leipheimer weren’t on the same team in 2005.

sorry for the ignorance, but where is the source/link/evidence that the UCI did send Levi a letter with regard to his blood values? As far as I know this was only (orally?) communicated to his team (Holczer) or am I missing something?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Again, being hopeful here; could Levi sell out the UCI effectively in exchange for some form of immunity? This combined with any other complicit activity that comes out of testimony could hurt the really bad people and raises the stakes to the international level.

To be honest I don't know how much the investigation will be concerned with the UCI. I certainly hope it at least implicates it, as we would then get the much needed reform, but I remain sceptical of whether it will atcually lead to anything with the UCI

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
To be honest I don't know how much the investigation will be concerned with the UCI. I certainly hope it at least implicates it, as we would then get the much needed reform, but I remain sceptical of whether it will atcually lead to anything with the UCI

I was thinking Interpol might want to take up the cause based on illicit European activity. He's still clinging to a shiny medal the IOC gave him so he still has some history to preserve.

BroDeal said:
I think the most interesting thing about this is further confirmation that the UCI uses back channels to warn teams about riders without busting them. The UCI is complicit in the riders' doping.
That's like saying "hey, your blood values shows you are doping, please be careful or we will have to bust you"...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
That's like saying "hey, your blood values shows you are doping, please be careful or we will have to bust you"...

I think they did the same with F. Schleck and Wrongstrong too! Happens all the time.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
joe1265 said:
HMH decided he couldn't risk being sued by Levi, so he left him in the TdF, then allowed him to start the Deutschland Tour a month later?

If the guy was about to fail a drug test at any time, which would bring about the financial ruin of the team and owner, why let him start the DT?

Something isn't adding up here......

I think you're right... hans I think certainly knew what was going on... but i guess it is an awkward position for him if he wants to keep a big team going.... I think he is a being a bit of a git trying to look high and mighty a bit whilst selling a book.... but I believe he is telling the truth about the blood values and the message the uci gave them.... it also shows(if is true) all the wee jokes people make about cyclists reason for withdrawing aren't far off.....

also i remember when schumacher was busted in the tour sean yates was picking him to win both time trials in th eurosport studio... so he knew something was going on then hans definently did....

funny times in cycling quite a lot of people talking more openly about things... it's nice sort of :S

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
The UCI sending letters alerting the rider and team that there is concern over blood parameters will be interesting to read.

This latest story from Germany, and Levi being served at the airport (if we can get some further confirmation of this?), shows that Levi and his testimony could play one of the most significant roles in the prosecution of the case. He would have far more current knowledge of what was being done within the recent editions of the team (Disco/Astana/RS).

I sense another big news cycle on this scandal coming up.

wow- just read the news, and I only have to say this to Levi:
633686183857176334-damn.jpg

editedbymod

BANNED
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:

I think its more a case of "Hey your blood values show doping please be careful because the lab will bust you and then you're on your own".

Its a case of the UCI avoiding a positive.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
I was thinking Interpol might want to take up the cause based on illicit European activity. He's still clinging to a shiny medal the IOC gave him so he still has some history to preserve.

Interpol doesn't do anything like that, they are an agency that is mainly focused on ensuring cooperation between different justice systems, not doing any investigating or prosecuting themselves

Respect to HMH for revealing this important information. Equally telling yes on the UCI's actions. Almost acting like a guide to help keep riders from testing positive. As I recall TH's off numbers were 129 when he got his warning, so to have Levi come in higher than that says something.

LKing25 said:
What is even more interesting is in 2006 Levi Leipheimer bombed in the ITT finishing over 5 minutes down on the winner on a pancake flat course and yet 3 days later contested a sprint finish in the toughest stage of the pyrenees.

Let's rewind the clock a little here. After tanking in the first ITT and losing six minutes, he basically gave up, saying his chances of winning the Tour were over and would go for stage wins (wonder if Periero, or Landis had felt the same after losing the big time they did that year?) . He was then in the lead break in on Stage 11 to Pla-de-Beret, getting 2nd to Menchov, and just ahead of Floyd. He also climbed well in the Alps, clawing his way back to 9th place after Stage 15, just 3 minutes behind, But strangely he gained nothing on Stages 16 and 17, and lost another five minutes in the last TT. So it's not an issue of one bad day when you look at the whole picture.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
editedbymod said:
So when is Velonews going to run the story?

who??

wait, I think right now they're reporting about Contador's attack after Schleck dropped his chain...

give it a few weeks, they'll get there