Liège-Bastogne-Liège: April 28th, 2019

Who will win Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2019?

  • Alejandro Valverde

    Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

    Votes: 27 28.7%
  • Julian Alaphilippe

    Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Maximilian Schachmann

    Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Michal Kwiatkowski

    Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Michael Matthews

    Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Philippe Gilbert

    Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Romain Bardet

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

    Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 13 13.8%

  • Total voters
    94
The spring classics have been breathtaking this year. There's just one more to go: the oldest classic or La Doyenne. The organizers have changed the course by moving the finish back to the centre of Liège. The Côte de Saint-Nicolas, where Frank Vandenbroucke launched his decisive attack in 1999, is no longer there. This could mean the Côte de la Redoute will regain importance and big names are going to attack earlier, but it also means that someone with a good sprint might hang on or come back after the climbs. Hopefully it will be just as thrilling as the races of the previous weeks.







Climbs:
1. Côte de la Roche-en-Ardenne (181 km) [2.8 km @ 6.2%]
2. Côte de Saint-Roch (135 km) [1.0 km @ 11.2%]
3. Côte de Mont-le-Soie (95 km) [1.7 km @ 7.9%]
4. Côte de Wanne (86.5 km) [3.6 km @ 5.1%]
5. Côte de Stockeu (80 km) [1.0 km @ 12.5%]
6. Côte de Haute-Levée (74.5 km) [3.6 km @ 5.6%]
7. Côte du Rosier (61.5 km) [4.4 km @ 5.9%]
8. Côte du Maquisard (49 km) [2.5 km @ 5.0%]
9. Côte de la Redoute (37 km) [2.0 km @ 8.9%]
10. Côte des Forges (25 km) [1.3 km @ 7.8%]
11. Côte de la Roche-aux-Faucons (15 km) [1.3 km @ 11.0%]

Recent winners:
2009 Andy Schleck
2010 Alexandre Vinokourov
2011 Philippe Gilbert
2012 Maxim Iglinsky
2013 Dan Martin
2014 Simon Gerrans
2015 Alejandro Valverde
2016 Wout Poels
2017 Alejandro Valverde
2018 Bob Jungels
 
Jul 29, 2015
70
0
2,680
Lotto-Visma to sign Mathieu van der Poel to a stagiaire contract that will allow him to start the race.

Obviously he will convincingly win it.

One can still dream right?

On a more serious note, I hope Schachmann can do some damage here.
 
Re:

johnymax said:
Who would win in a sprint between Nibali and Fuglsang? Normally I'd say Nibali is a little better sprinter but in this kind of shape I can see Fuglsang winning.
Probably somebody else a couple minute back would catch them considering how slow both are. :D
 
Re:

Singer01 said:
Should Valverde even be in the voting options? He's having a torrid time currently.
Can I petition that "torrid" no longer be used to describe an athlete's form? It is inherently confusing.

On the one hand, in the U.K. it indicates that an athlete is performing poorly (i.e. "full of difficulty," https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/torrid), while in the United States it indicates that an athlete is performing well (i.e. "performing or doing something extremely well," https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/torrid).
 
Re: Re:

shalgo said:
Singer01 said:
Should Valverde even be in the voting options? He's having a torrid time currently.
Can I petition that "torrid" no longer be used to describe an athlete's form? It is inherently confusing.

On the one hand, in the U.K. it indicates that an athlete is performing poorly (i.e. "full of difficulty," https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/torrid), while in the United States it indicates that an athlete is performing well (i.e. "performing or doing something extremely well," https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/torrid).
From the context, I would hazard a guess that Singer01 was speaking British.


And what a useless word if it means one thing and its polar opposite :lol:
 
Sep 28, 2017
52
0
0
GVA is riding LBL. Quite impressive, racing from Omloop Het Nieuwsblad till now, doing the cobbles bit and barely missing out on the important one day races. Anyone else doing it old school as well this year? Gilbert too I can see.
I'm rooting for Nibbles and Fuglsang. Cant wait for sunday, hopefully some earlier decisive break.
 
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Is Fuglsang getting the sympathy vote or do people really believe he's going to win this?
If you do not consider Fuglsang a contender after today, the poll might as well just be Alaphilippe ;)

Actually, I think he will get him on Sunday..... the way Alaphilippe rides races, he will burn up his form faster than Fuglsang, and at the end of both their spring campaigns, I could see Fuglsang actually beating him on Sunday.

That being said, with everyone now expecting this great rivalry to continue for the 3rd race in a row, it will probably be someone completely different :D
 
Re: Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Pantani_lives said:
Is Fuglsang getting the sympathy vote or do people really believe he's going to win this?
If you do not consider Fuglsang a contender after today, the poll might as well just be Alaphilippe ;)

Actually, I think he will get him on Sunday..... the way Alaphilippe rides races, he will burn up his form faster than Fuglsang, and at the end of both their spring campaigns, I could see Fuglsang actually beating him on Sunday.

That being said, with everyone now expecting this great rivalry to continue for the 3rd race in a row, it will probably be someone completely different :D
Legs will be a lot more tired at the start of the RaF than at the start of the Mur, and the RaF is a lot harder.

Honestly, Fuglsang reminded me of Andy Schleck at the Fleche in 2009.
 
Jul 18, 2011
145
0
8,830
Re:

Movitrain said:
Lotto-Visma to sign Mathieu van der Poel to a stagiaire contract that will allow him to start the race.
Mathieu isn't riding Liège because he doesn't want to, not because his team wansn't invited. Corendon has been invited to virtually every classic this season. Mathieu chooses his races carefully because he has other plans.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY