• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Licensing(early odds)

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Anybody have any early opinions about the licensing commission's statement that we will probably start hearing which teams will be in for 2010? At the most 7 spots for eight applying teams. What are your takes?

I think there are a couple interesting variables. First of all the 5 teams that are reapplying have in previous years met the requirements for the PT so chances are probably high that they will meet them again unless it is judged that some of them have dropped so far in performance that they are no longer good enough for the PT. That seems a bit unlikely though since they're not that diffrent from some other teams that already have licenses for next year.

Then there are the three new applicants in Radioshack, Sky and Skil. They still have to prove that they can meet the requirements, especially the financial and structural requirements and not only having a good enough roster.

My guess is that there will be 7 licenses given and the odd team out might be Skil. I haven't been too impressed by Milram or Cofidis this year but their rosters should still be strong enough for that not to be an issue.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, found the article.

I would guess that Milram and AG2R and Skil have had the poorest results of those teams. Having looked at http://www.cyclingwebsite.net (really useful), maybe AG2R have had the worst, also Kenny van Hummel is leading the Pro Continental points rankings. I'll guess that Skil get promoted over AG2R, and Milram will hang on.

Anyone think it likely that more teams will be refused, if they aren't obliged to retain 20 licenses?

taiwan said:
Sorry, found the article.

I would guess that Milram and AG2R and Skil have had the poorest results of those teams. Having looked at http://www.cyclingwebsite.net (really useful), maybe AG2R have had the worst, also Kenny van Hummel is leading the Pro Continental points rankings. I'll guess that Skil get promoted over AG2R, and Milram will hang on.

Anyone think it likely that more teams will be refused, if they aren't obliged to retain 20 licenses?

AG2R did have a fairly prominent tour this year which does not go unnoticed in these matters so I wouldn't say that their results are that bad.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
True, they held the lead for a good few days, and Nicholas Roche was threatening a stage win, looking very strong, but that's my guess.

It will come down to whch teams pay the largest bribes to the UCI. :)

This situation was always a findamental problem with the ProTour. Teams should rise to the top by their results, not by sucking up to bureaucrats or passing them money under the table. The entire things looks very political.

Radioshack and Sky are in tight with McQuaid, so they will get the nod. Skil is screwed unless the ProTour finally tosses a team like Milram or one of the French teams.

A

Anonymous

i think its a straight fight between cofidis, skil and milram..

they need to keep milram in to maintain some soft of german intrest, skill to promote a new team.. cofidis are dispensible, they will get an invite to the tour and most of the aso run races anyway so they dont particularly need one and they are less and less impressive every year..

cofidis are also dispensing with a fair few riders and bringing in a lot of lower level riders.. makes me wonder if they are already expecting not to get a PT licence...

its not the be all and end all anyway.... cerevlho have managed.. which raises the question, are cervelho not on the list of applications????

Cervelo opted to stay Pro Continental. They've had a successful season and have raced all the races that they wanted to. Why pay more to get deeper into the political ****fighting of the UCI? I'll bet that they'll get the invites that they want next year as well.

Tugboat said:
Cervelo opted to stay Pro Continental. They've had a successful season and have raced all the races that they wanted to. Why pay more to get deeper into the political ****fighting of the UCI? I'll bet that they'll get the invites that they want next year as well.

Especially with that 3 ProTour riders maximum in non-UCI races (and not in their PT kits). Cervelo needs the local races.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Cervelo rode successfully in all the big races this season without a Pro Tour license and far as I can figure out it'll work for them again next year. This is really what teams like Ag2r and Cofidis should be looking at - if you can still to all the big races and with a much smaller budget, why are they all so desperate to be part of the Pro Tour?

danyela said:
Cervelo rode successfully in all the big races this season without a Pro Tour license and far as I can figure out it'll work for them again next year. This is really what teams like Ag2r and Cofidis should be looking at - if you can still to all the big races and with a much smaller budget, why are they all so desperate to be part of the Pro Tour?

But teams like Ag2r and Cofidis don't get the results in big races or as consistently as Cervelo. Therefore they need the ProTour licenses as security for getting starts. Not going to get as many wildcards if you aren't doing something to deserve it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
danyela said:

Cofidos (and probably AG2r) would be better without PT status I agree. ASO weill give them wildcards to le tour, and the races they really wanna be apart (mainly french) of, no worries. Same goes for FDJ.

The rest of the teams seem to have the riders and/or results really worth PT status. For sure Cervelo (even thought they don't seem to want it) and maybe even Vasc. or BMC are more worthy of PT status too imo.

PS: fuji aren't good enough either imo. Plus thier problems... I can't see them being PT too much longer

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I think they were probably tipped off that they weren't going to make the cut. The natural conclusion is that all the renewals get approved and RadioShack and Sky are in, which was probably most likely to happen all along.

Yes. Skil were out yesterday, so it's 7 up for 7.
As reported here, Ag2r got 3 years, while Sky got 4.
(yes, I see it in terms of a jail sentence)
The Shack have heard nothing down the radio, as yet.

Oh and they've also made up two new races which have PT status

Grand Prix of Quebec and Montreal...:eek:

TRENDING THREADS