• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Lol, there's only been 2 "big" races so far :rolleyes:

And they did great, but Leipheimer got eliminated by Movistar. RSNT has been crap so far except Cancellara and Horner. And Horner still lost didn't he?

I'd rather say that Leipheimer got eliminated by his poor descending skills.

Yea, RSNT has been so crap, except for Cancellara. And Horner. And Bennati. And Monfort. And Tony Gallopin. And Tiago Machado. And well, they're not so bad after all are they? I get that many people hate this team because of Johan/Livestrong/Becca/Frandy/whatever but that doesn't warrant calling good riders "crap".

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Lol, there's only been 2 "big" races so far :rolleyes:

And they did great, but Leipheimer got eliminated by Movistar. RSNT has been crap so far except Cancellara and Horner. And Horner still lost didn't he?
Lost what? I havent seen horner lose any races?
Cancellator said:
I'd rather say that Leipheimer got eliminated by his poor descending skills.

Yea, RSNT has been so crap, except for Cancellara. And Horner. And Bennati. And Monfort. And Tony Gallopin. And Tiago Machado. And well, they're not so bad after all are they? I get that many people hate this team because of Johan/Livestrong/Becca/Frandy/whatever but that doesn't warrant calling good riders "crap".
+100 (and Bakelants) the unnecesary abuse towards RSNT is ridiculous, they have an enormously talented squad but people tend to overlook that and focus on the Schlecks etc. Its amazing how the signing and development (see TDU and random races so far) of guys like Bakelants, Gallopin and Hermans have been overlooked, they are going to make a real impact and in terms of challenging on all fronts only RSNT can challenge Sky.
Just look at their MSR team, certainly not their speciality but cancellara, then last year top 5 roubaixer (Rast) 2 national champions (roulstoun and Wagner) Popovych who will really make an impact as is focusing on flat/cobbles more. Gallopin who has been in sensational form and is a bright talent and Bennatti who is in tremendous form and seems to be really having a go at the classics this year and would be a very good guy to bet on for a top5 finish) and irizar who came 2nd in andalucia prologue and 8th in paris-nice one and 6th in qatar one, so obviously in very good form as well.
In short there is a lot of class in this team which is being overlooked unnecessarily.

BTW, Leipheimer wouldnt have lost it imo due to his bad descending skills if it wasnt for Movistar, whilst if there was just movistar and no bad descneding skills he may very well have still lost it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Hahaha, yeah, Wagner, Roulston, POPOVYCH. All other teams are trembling in fear. Except for Sky, of course. Rule Britannia!

They don't have the big names in terms of domestiques but to be fair all have shown pretty good form except for Wagner ... even Roulston after being out since TdU. In any case it looks like they are ready and much stronger support for Cancellara than last year. I honestly didn't expect that!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Did Bruyneel really say this or is it a joke?!

When asked about the smokescreen to draw attention away from the string of failures on his part, Bruyneel was typically fired up.

“All you journalists are ridiculous. I am the master cycling tactician. How else can you explain having a 40-year old American almost win Tirreno? I plan to remake cycling with a properly-regimented business plan – simple, easy to follow, with plenty of money in my pocket – that works best for those sponsors investing. If it works for Pat (UCI president Pat McQuaid) then it should work for us,” stated Bruyneel.

When asked who was representing the rider’s voice in the negotiations, Bruyneel was dumbstruck, “Riders? Why should they have a say? They follow what I do. That is all. Just like Horner. He almost won Tirreno. Did you see his almost win? ”

http://cyclismas.com/2012/03/team-radioshack-nissan-desperately-clinging-to-cycling-relevance/

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Did Bruyneel really say this or is it a joke?!

When asked about the smokescreen to draw attention away from the string of failures on his part, Bruyneel was typically fired up.

“All you journalists are ridiculous. I am the master cycling tactician. How else can you explain having a 40-year old American almost win Tirreno? I plan to remake cycling with a properly-regimented business plan – simple, easy to follow, with plenty of money in my pocket – that works best for those sponsors investing. If it works for Pat (UCI president Pat McQuaid) then it should work for us,” stated Bruyneel.

When asked who was representing the rider’s voice in the negotiations, Bruyneel was dumbstruck, “Riders? Why should they have a say? They follow what I do. That is all. Just like Horner. He almost won Tirreno. Did you see his almost win? ”

http://cyclismas.com/2012/03/team-radioshack-nissan-desperately-clinging-to-cycling-relevance/

fake as hell obviously :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I just looked at some other articles from this site so I assume it's a parody :eek: I didn't know this site before but there were two links on here recently to serious stories so I thought they must all be serious :D

Lol some seriously funny stuff on there, like the "Schleck line"

Another expression used in U.S. cycling to indicate that a cyclist is not very good at the time trial is “On the Interstate,” which derives from the fact that a result in the 100+ place range in a time trial has the appearance on the score sheet similar to the route designations of the Interstate Highway System in the United States, in which roads are referred to using “I” to indicate an Interstate Highway, and a number to indicate the specific route. Thus a recent finish of 121st (Frank Schleck) and 142nd (Andy Schleck) in the Paris-Nice Prologue looks roughly similar to “I-21″, and “I-42” road signs and the rider is said to be “on the Interstate.” Which is pretty much how the Schlecks approach a TT – at a constant, regulated, slow speed. After this recent performance, Radio Shack-Nissan team director Johan Bruyneel was said to be “looking for the Interstate in order to step in front of a speeding truck.”

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Interesting piece on the collapse of the original Radioshack team and it's current odd arrangement

http://cyclismas.com/2012/03/radios...bontrager-livestrong-more-than-meets-the-eye/

Radioshack-Nissan-Trek collapsed lol.
What a shame.

You know they collapsed because of Lance, right?
Or should I say "Lack of Lance".

When Lance was on the team, Radioshack the company soared.
Wish I would have bought stock as soon as Lance signed on.
And of course, when Lance left - the stock went into the toilet.
Wish I would have shorted the stock when Lance left.
Oh well, woulda coulda shoulda...

Anyway, it is a shame the Team collapsed along with the Company waa.
The Team would have been a great team I bet.
You know, if they were still around.
Whatever happened to that Bruyneel guy anyway?
Probably got thrown under a bus beep beep squish.

Christian said:
I just looked at some other articles from this site so I assume it's a parody :eek: I didn't know this site before but there were two links on here recently to serious stories so I thought they must all be serious :D

Lol some seriously funny stuff on there, like the "Schleck line"

Another expression used in U.S. cycling to indicate that a cyclist is not very good at the time trial is “On the Interstate,” which derives from the fact that a result in the 100+ place range in a time trial has the appearance on the score sheet similar to the route designations of the Interstate Highway System in the United States, in which roads are referred to using “I” to indicate an Interstate Highway, and a number to indicate the specific route. Thus a recent finish of 121st (Frank Schleck) and 142nd (Andy Schleck) in the Paris-Nice Prologue looks roughly similar to “I-21″, and “I-42” road signs and the rider is said to be “on the Interstate.” Which is pretty much how the Schlecks approach a TT – at a constant, regulated, slow speed. After this recent performance, Radio Shack-Nissan team director Johan Bruyneel was said to be “looking for the Interstate in order to step in front of a speeding truck.”

THAT is some funny stuff. Thanks for sharing.:)

Cimber said:
Brian Nygaard looks back at his time at Leopard. funny stuff and shows how it is to work for a dude like Becca:

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/nygaard-panik-raab-og-skrig-hos-leopard-trek

http://spn.dk/cykling/article2723835.ece

(both in Danish so pls use your favorite translation tool)

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-take-a-train-home-after-team-time-trial.aspx

Nygaard gave details to the Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten newspaper, with one anecdote showing a bizarre approach. It relates to the team time trial in last year’s Tirreno Adriatico, where the stacked lineup could only finish seventh.

He said that he received a call immediately afterwards ‘from management’, and was asked the reason for the team’s modest showing. He said that it was down two riders as Joost Posthuma and Tom Stamsnijder had been dropped during the test.

That happens a lot in such efforts, but the response he was given was staggering. “Okay. Take them to the train station and send them home. If they cannot sit on wheels, then they are not good enough,” he relates. “They can come back [to competition] when they are strong enough.”

Nygaard is frustrated by what he said were a series of similar incidents.

lol when you have a budget like this,you must win that's for sure.i'm with the bosses on this one.

just like it's the case now with uk postal.when you have that budget,that team bus,that armada of scientists,if you don't win you might as well pack your stuff and go home.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
Brian Nygaard looks back at his time at Leopard. funny stuff and shows how it is to work for a dude like Becca:

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/nygaard-panik-raab-og-skrig-hos-leopard-trek

http://spn.dk/cykling/article2723835.ece

(both in Danish so pls use your favorite translation tool)

Thanks for the links. Before the team was launched Nygaard spoke highly of Becca's knowledge of cycling, turns out he was absolutely incompetent. Becca beforehand said he would keep out of managing the team, absolute BS. Here is another interesting bit from google translate:

When the team arrived on rails and star riders began to reap results, there followed another crazy calls after a win and second place in a Belgian semi-classic, and Gent-Wevelgem.

- These are two really great race and I remember that everyone on the team was super happy, but there was an enormous discontent from above. I got an angry call, because we did not win both races. I was aware that it was setting, but getting an earful for it was totally absurd in my eyes, says Brian Nygaard, who tells of an incorrect internal atmosphere that spread to a devastating nervousness among the riders.

I can definitely see that ... Becca lacked the first and fundamental thing you need in sports, patience. He thought he could just throw money and buy success. When he didn't get what he thought he paid for he got mad. What he didn't know I guess is that he only got a few really good riders and a lot of mediocre ones. Pedersen, Stamsnijder, Clarke etc. are not going to perform better just because you pay them more you idiot. Of course the bittersweet irony is that after he decided to kick out half of the riders and staff they went on to do great at the Vuelta and win a monument ... thus proving that you only need PATIENCE.

Nygaard seems like a nice guy, I'm glad for him he got the hell outta there ... now Bruyneel can deal with Becca, those two deserve each other