• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Along with all of Blanco, and Vacansoleil too (probably). Interesting times on the transfer market.

Don't forget europcar, their desl ends too this year iirc.

I do not think that all those teams will disappear, some new sponsors will show up... Enough for all of them? Don't think so

Gallopin going to a 2nd tier french team would not be the best choice for his career i think.

Roude Leiw said:
Don't forget europcar, their desl ends too this year iirc.

Europcar would be crazy to not extend their deal imo.

Anyway, always sad when a team goes down, not only because some of their riders will have trouble finding a job on the same level, but also because of all the support stuff etc. behind them. But Radioshack-Leopard Trek disbanding is probably as little sad as it can be in this sort of situation. I don't see anybody missing them.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
It's sad to see how this year all RLT results are just poorer versions of last year's...

Cancellara 1-3 places down in all races compared to last year, 0 wins instead of 2. (He wasn't bad though, I just think the competition was a lot better this year, with Sagan truly exploding on the scene, stronger riders in T-A etc.)

Horner a lamer version of himself in T-A (still suspiciously good).

Andy not even giving them a bit of hope.

I hope the good riders will find better teams next year... because right now RLT isn't working. They have a bunch of riders that should have retired 5 years ago, a bunch of young, promising but inexperienced riders... and Cancellara.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I thought they would be able to get some results this year but iy didnt happen to be the case. Cancellara needs to find a team totally dedicated to him. Not sure where though. Would he take any of the riders at radioshack with him?
No clue about schlecks. Cannomdale.dont have a gc contender, lampre too. Not.aure about which teams will havw the budget to support both. Or perhaps canc will jpin them on the samw team?!

gruppeto993 said:
I thought they would be able to get some results this year but iy didnt happen to be the case. Cancellara needs to find a team totally dedicated to him. Not sure where though. Would he take any of the riders at radioshack with him?
No clue about schlecks. Cannomdale.dont have a gc contender, lampre too. Not.aure about which teams will havw the budget to support both. Or perhaps canc will jpin them on the samw team?!

Lampre operates with Scarponi and Ulissi (and perhaps Cunego and Niemiec in certain races) for GC's. Not sure they need the Schleks unless the team starts to focus on the tour.

Cannondale and Argos otoh.

The issue is cost vs points imo. The combined Schelck package includes almost no points and Frank cannot accumulate points for two years after he returns.

Cancellara will have no problem getting a new contract.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Arent argos focused on sprints in grand tours? And yes not sure which team will agree to employing both schleks because of the cost and points.

Why doesnt cancellara move to sky? If sky's classics team fail this year canc will make a great captain.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
Arent argos focused on sprints in grand tours? And yes not sure which team will agree to employing both schleks because of the cost and points.

Why doesnt cancellara move to sky? If sky's classics team fail this year canc will make a great captain.

Schlecks have zero points in 2014 - F. due to his ban, and Andy because of no performance in 2 years. I think they'll join a French team.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't think Schlecks will have too much trouble finding a new team, they're going through a hard time but with their results someone will pick them up. They just may have to settle for pay cut.

Really hope Cancellara doesn't go to Sky, Saxo or IAM are probably more likely. Although not sure he would want to take a step down to pro conti with IAM if they stay pro conti.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Schlecks have zero points in 2014 - F. due to his ban, and Andy because of no performance in 2 years. I think they'll join a French team.

French team would be the best that could happen to them but I fear money will be the problem... they are used to 2 million a year IINM, French teams can't pay that kind of money.

I think they will find something... if Andy shows a few timid signs of former glory this year I am sure some teams would be willing to take the gamble for next year. Plus who knows if WADA/UCI appeal Fränk's verdict he might be completely out of the picture and that will make the deal a lot cheaper

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
spalco said:
I don't see how it matters. With Cancellara on board, they'll get invited to any race he wants to do.

Well Rodriguez probably could have gotten to be in every race he wanted to do if Katusha had to stay at pro conti level, but didn't want to take the risk that he might not get to do some races.

I'm not saying IAM being pro conti will be a really major influence on his decision, but it could have some influence on it. His primary concern though should be which team can best support him and be there when he needs them.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Becca: "Radioshack pull-out is pure speculation"

"Of course we know that Radioshack only has a contract until the end of this year. Today we do not yet know whether they will continue or not. But we are only in the month of March, so we have enough time to talk to them, respectively to other sponsors, which we are already doing to some extend. The question that it always comes to in that context is to see how the team will perform in the coming months. You can't find sponsors and have a team that doesn't perform".

http://sport.rtl.lu/cyclissem/news/415623.html

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RadioShack disbanding will bring a breath of fresh aír to this cluster @$#& of a merger of two polarly opposite teams with more baggage than any team can deal with. The big problem is many of the issues will only be sent to another team. One can only hope for a mass blacklist.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
schlecks to green edge maybe??

no points but they are still very marketable to the white english speaking head in the sand masses

australians love them for some reason

Christian said:
French team would be the best that could happen to them but I fear money will be the problem... they are used to 2 million a year IINM, French teams can't pay that kind of money.

I think they will find something... if Andy shows a few timid signs of former glory this year I am sure some teams would be willing to take the gamble for next year. Plus who knows if WADA/UCI appeal Fränk's verdict he might be completely out of the picture and that will make the deal a lot cheaper

FDJ & Codofis ring the bell to me. they can also go Cannondale too-but as you said- they got to get a well deserved pay cut.

Ofc it was well known that Radioshack will be ending it's sponsorship this year. The future of the team depends on Andy's results and Becca's willingness to lose more money, but I see them as one of three WT teams which will fold at the end of the year.