• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
It sure seems to me that there is a lot of bloviating and not much exchange of information in this thread. Mostly, its only function seems to be that is it really entertaining to watch people endlessly blow smoke when they have nothing to base it on.

It's a fire sale. Lots of smoke. Lots of mirrors. No one knows what's going on.

KuotaRocket said:
It's a fire sale. Lots of smoke. Lots of mirrors. No one knows what's going on.

That depends entirely on what you are looking for.

All kinds of Riders being screwed late into the transfer season? Check.
Classics riders on the team are totally screwed with Johann on board. Check.
Merger clearly runs afoul of a wide variety of UCI regs. Check.
Half or more of the staff likely unemployable for next year. Check.
Visibly abandon luxury goods sponsor Daimler. Check.
CSE shareholders enriched at the expense of the sport's overall legitimacy, and a large number of athletes and production staff. Check.

And Johann's complaining the deal was announced too soon. Did he want to wait for December when there *really* was no chance at all for the contract lottery losers?

The Daimler fallout alone will be enormous damage to Pat's ability to drum up sponsors. They blew tons of credibility with the doping and now that that's sufficiently hidden CSE and the UCI still manage to harm the sport.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I agree that at this point none of us has all the facts to know exactly what is what.

Aye and its not really that important. I disliked RS and LT, hence will surely dislike the new team no matter if its Becca, JB, or LA owning it, and wether its situated in LUX or the US :rolleyes:

One thing is pretty clear though: it will be JB (and maybe LA behind the curtain) who will the THE boss regarding everything concerning managing the team, tactics and which riders will be on the team (Besides the Schelcks who are a prerequisit for Becca's involvement).

Btw Kim Andersen seems pretty reluctant about the whole thing judging from an intervien to a Danish media. Becca would like to keep him and he is consiering it but he doesnt really like the way things has turned out. If he stays it will purely be cos of his personal friendship with the bros. Dont think he fancy being no.2 behind JB (as he was at SBS Regarding Riis).

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Where would Kim Anderson go otherwise though?? He wants to be, and thinks he is ready to be, the head honcho. BUt, which team has room for a head honcho?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Kim Andersen has been offered to stay on the new team as Bruyneel's assistant.

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/kim-a.-ja-til-fusionsholdet

Google translate (I hope I am not breaking any rules, if so please delete):

Kim Andersen is ready to continue at the merged Radioshack-Trek team. But he compares the new team with a divorce family.

Kim Andersen is prepared to go from the role of executive sports director at Leopard Trek team to be assistant to Johan Bruyneel at the new combined team Radioshack-Trek.

He is not enthusiastic about development, but he confirms to Ekstra Bladet, he basically wants to continue working with the Schleck brothers and Jakob Fuglsang of the new team.

- You can not say that everything that is happening right now, happens in our spirit. It will take time to build the team up again. A divorce family functioning not just of themselves away, says Kim Andersen, who emphasizes that he did not expect the current development, but acknowledges that he has ended up in a world where so much is money in control.

Wealthy sculptor Flavio Becca, who has had the Leopard team as his expensive toys, and now have decided that it must contend with Radioshack team of Johan Bruyneel management, stated in an interview with Le Quotidien determined that Kim Andersen is welcome at the new team.

Andersen is prepared to accept that he will have a different role than he had on Leopard Trek, where he had overall athletic responsibilities. But he will still wait and see what's being offered to him before he says yes or no to the new team.

- It is clear that there is change, and when everything is in place, I consider whether I have interest in appearing in the set-up that comes out of it, says Kim Andersen told the newspaper.

"Rigmand" means "rich man", but to google translate it means "wealthy sculptor".

EDIT: Cimber you beat me to it :)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
bicing said:
Where would Kim Anderson go otherwise though?? He wants to be, and thinks he is ready to be, the head honcho. BUt, which team has room for a head honcho?

Thats a good point. He might be stuck with the new team for 2012, but then he could look for something else. However, I doubt he will ever leave the Schlecks. But surely he will be unhappy about JB calling the shots.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
Thats a good point. He might be stuck with the new team for 2012, but then he could look for something else. However, I doubt he will ever leave the Schlecks. But surely he will be unhappy about JB calling the shots.

If anything.. The Schlecks will follow Kim.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
Apparently Voigt (and Pedersen, Pires and Rohregger) wont get contracts with the new team:

"Laut einem Interviews mit Leopard-Geldgeber Flavio Becca laufen die Verträge von Martin Pedersen, Bruno Pires, Thomas Rohregger und Jens Voigt aus und werden nicht verlängert." (in German)

http://06.live-radsport.ch/details_3601/ProTour_Teams__News.html

I know he is nearly 40, but is Jens retiring fully at the end of the season? As he showed in this year's tour, still one of the best out there at what he does. Can imagine quite a few teams wouldn't mind having him in their line up.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Dancing On The Pedals said:
I know he is nearly 40, but is Jens retiring fully at the end of the season? As he showed in this year's tour, still one of the best out there at what he does. Can imagine quite a few teams wouldn't mind having him in their line up.

He said he would like to ride 1 more year again!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

Without knowing for sure I think he will continue. Maybe going to GE with O'Grady or returning back home to Riis?

Cimber said:
Without knowing for sure I think he will continue. Maybe going to GE with O'Grady or returning back home to Riis?
this is what i'm hoping for! since they're leaving Jens!!! high and dry for his last year, i truly hope he busts their balls on the team that will regulate Andy (once again) to a lower rung on the podium!

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site

Too late, Becca already sold old Jens to the soap factory.

If Voigt wants to stay, then I am certain he will be able to. I know the Schlecks influence has been overrated, but surely they can force that one through without much of an effort.
They will just kick someone els out in the streets. Nothing new about that theese days.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
CN reports: "One of Leopard Trek's sponsors is Mercedes-Benz Luxembourg, which was taken aback by the arrival of its rival Nissan as new sponsor." Oops! Some "strategic" planning gone wrong here.

They'll just paper things over, put some Nissan stickers on the Mercedes team cars :p I can just imagine the Benzie execs getting all sniffy. Don't blame them. Ha, ha!

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Jens Voigt no new contract? Schlecks are really disgusting creatures huh.

Be great him going back to Saxo or Even BMC or Rabo See Jens smash apart Frandyshack on a climb would make my year.

But personally be cool to see him @ skil help out the young Germans