• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Nothing against the Schlecks, but they are telling the same story about working more on their TT-skins (wind tunnel, bike fit, gain more muscles, ...) for the 3rd consecutive year now.

So I don't expect a really big step forward in this matter (if they've already done that in the past).
And Andy claimed several times this year, that he is too heavy (I think he talked about 2 kg) to max out his optimum climbing skills.

The Tour route of 2012 lets absolutely no space for A Schleck to win it.
It's a perfect fit for Evans and Wiggo!

It will be interesting to see if JB can make a difference to Andy's TT. Because if he can't then Andy might as well not bother turning up if the leaked course info is correct.

Andy's talked a lot about working on his TT in the past, but I'm not convinced that he's taken it really seriously yet. I think that he's thought that he can put enough time into the other GC contenders in the mountains that he can get away with a less than optimal TT. Well, that didn't work this year and it certainly won't work next year. It's time to get serious.

I'll be fascinated to see if there's an improvement next year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Andy already said he went into this year's Tour heavier than usual because of increased muscle mass ... didn't hurt his climbing but didn't really help his ITT either

of course it affected his climbing, but with only evans as real opponent you woukldn';t se ein results but he defintely pushed harder gears and looked more working in tye climbs

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Swabian Lass said:
It will be interesting to see if JB can make a difference to Andy's TT. Because if he can't then Andy might as well not bother turning up if the leaked course info is correct.

Andy's talked a lot about working on his TT in the past, but I'm not convinced that he's taken it really seriously yet. I think that he's thought that he can put enough time into the other GC contenders in the mountains that he can get away with a less than optimal TT. Well, that didn't work this year and it certainly won't work next year. It's time to get serious.

frank increased his itt and increased overall but I don't think his weight. why aren't they working with psychologists on downhil?

Christian said:
Andy already said he went into this year's Tour heavier than usual because of increased muscle mass ... didn't hurt his climbing but didn't really help his ITT either
If that's the case, I say go back to last year's preparation... because he certainly seemed to be climbing with more ease, Contador being unable to drop him, ánd his TT was much better, putting Contador under serious pressure. Schleck on the Alpe d'Huez in 2008 was just toying with Evans, Schleck on the Alpe this year couldn't do anything.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Swabian Lass said:

Andy will never be any good on a TT bike. Nor will Frank. Not even JB-'magic' can change that.

Thomsena said:
Andy will never be any good on a TT bike. Nor will Frank. Not even JB-'magic' can change that.
That's just BS, remember last year? Andy was definitely good on a TT bike then. At least, not horifically bad.

And this year he wasn't either. He still got 18th or something in the final TT of the Tour de France. Which horrible TT-er can say that?

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Let me rephrase that..

Andy will never be any good on a TT bike compared to the hard working, dedicated top-favorites.. Nor will Frank. Not even JB-'magic' can change that.

Happy?

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
If that's the case, I say go back to last year's preparation... because he certainly seemed to be climbing with more ease, Contador being unable to drop him, ánd his TT was much better, putting Contador under serious pressure. Schleck on the Alpe d'Huez in 2008 was just toying with Evans, Schleck on the Alpe this year couldn't do anything.

to be fair, it wasn't Andy's effort that stood out or put Contador under pressure, but rather Contador's own poor showing that day. his climbing certainly looked better though, thats for sure

Thomsena said:
Ok. Let me rephrase that..

Andy will never be any good on a TT bike compared to the hard working, dedicated top-favorites.. Nor will Frank. Not even JB-'magic' can change that.

Happy?
That's just cliched talk of the Danish "the evil Schlecks backstabbed Saint Riis" cycling fan. Amirite?

I'm no Schleck fan, but it's a bit boring to keep reading about how awful his TTing is, when in fact the whole generation of new GC riders (Nibali, Kreuziger, Gesink) is equally bad. I don't think any of those guys would have done a better TT in Grenoble than Schleck, who was equal on time with guys like Westra and Malori.

theyoungest said:
That's just cliched talk of the Danish "the evil Schlecks backstabbed Saint Riis" cycling fan. Amirite?

I'm no Schleck fan, but it's a bit boring to keep reading about how awful his TTing is, when in fact the whole generation of new GC riders (Nibali, Kreuziger, Gesink) is equally bad. I don't think any of those guys would have done a better TT in Grenoble than Schleck, who was equal on time with guys like Westra and Malori.

Any none of the riders you mentioned will have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the TdF. Besides that I think that objectively both Kreuziger and Nibali are intrinsically beter TT'er than any of the Schlecks will ever be.

Regards
GJ

GJB123 said:
Any none of the riders you mentioned will have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the TdF. Besides that I think that objectively both Kreuziger and Nibali are intrinsically beter TT'er than any of the Schlecks will ever be.

Regards
GJ
No, certainly Kreuziger isn't. In a TT at the end of a grand tour, Schleck will beat him 9 times out of 10.

In a one week race it's a different story.

theyoungest said:
No, certainly Kreuziger isn't. In a TT at the end of a grand tour, Schleck will beat him 9 times out of 10.

I haven't reviewed the statitstics, so I will take your word for it even though I think they hardly ever contested a TT at the end of a GT in anger in the same year. But even if it is true, that doesnt change my point that none of the three riders you mentioned will ever win the TdF.

GJB123 said:
I haven't reviewed the statitstics, so I will take your word for it even though I think they hardly ever contested a TT at the end of a GT in anger in the same year. But even if it is true, that doesnt change my point that none of the three riders you mentioned will ever win the TdF.
Maybe, but none of these three riders constantly gets comments about his supposed laziness and lack of work ethic and complete suckage in the TT.

BTW, in the distant future when Contador is injured, I don't know why those guys wouldn't stand a chance of winning the Tour.

theyoungest said:

Completly agree. I am Andy Schleck's fan and as I am Czech I am Kreuziger's fan as well. All what I can say - Andy is in the last TT in GTs better time trialist than Kreuziger. :)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

none of those stand a chance of winning the tour, but andy does, so his itt should be a lot better

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

remember that in this years tdf, andy made the idiotic mistake of going with contador's attack on the first climb, and therefore spent a huge chunk of time in the wind, fatiguing him significantly before alpe d'huez. evans went initially, but then had his mechanical and dropped back to the peloton.

even a motivated contador was dropped by sanchez and pierre rolland at the end of that stage.

ghostofjoy said:
remember that in this years tdf, andy made the idiotic mistake of going with contador's attack on the first climb, and therefore spent a huge chunk of time in the wind, fatiguing him significantly before alpe d'huez. evans went initially, but then had his mechanical and dropped back to the peloton.

even a motivated contador was dropped by sanchez and pierre rolland at the end of that stage.

No, Andy spent a huge chunk of time in Contador's wheel.:rolleyes:

And what exactly do you mean with the second bolded part?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
rtl.lu posted a list of 29 riders on their site:

http://sport.rtl.lu/cyclissem/news/144709.html

It does not include Gianni Meersmann. In the video they say the last rider is supposed to come from HTC High Road ... if that is true I guess it would have to be Craig Lewis or Caleb Fairly, right? All the others have already anounced their new teams as far as I know.

1948fdbbb3060d383e35a48d0e54c3f3.jpeg

c4b183d4b016a2f14881cd118a970a20.jpeg

104b83c8fa7b0497bd2d288c988c8db4.jpeg

They list Ben King and Jesse Sergent as one rider but count them as two.

A rider from HTC? I don't believe they would want Fairly or Lewis. Only two riders without announced contract for next year are Hayden Roulston and Alex Rasmussen. If Rasmussen will ride, he will in Garmin. So, my logic says it is Hayden Roulston, possibly.

Source: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...d-win-with-martin_194490?utm_medium=whats-hot
Hayden Roulston: “I have a contract but the team will decide when it wants to announce it,” Roulston told VeloNews. “My future is secure.”

Anyway, I thought Rudiger Selig (+ Will Clarke and Sam Bewley, but I understand they may go elsewhere) will be part of the team for the next season. Will he ride only for U23 team after all? :confused:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Zaschrona said:
Anyway, I thought Rudiger Selig (+ Will Clarke and Sam Bewley, but I understand they may go elsewhere) will be part of the team for the next season. Will he ride only for U23 team after all? :confused:

Oh yeah I forgot about Selig! I believe he is the missing rider to be honest, it has been reported by various sources.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
And what exactly do you mean with the second bolded part?

I guess he means that nowadays, unlike 2009, there are several guys in the field who can drop AC on a serious climb on a good day, even if he tries to keep up with them. At least that is how I understood not only that sentence, but this year's Tour in a whole...