• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liege Bastogne Liege-7 hour monument, Sunday, April 21, 2024

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • MVDP

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • MVDP

• Total voters
The race went exactly as expected for first. Nothing before Redoute (besides a crash), as the section from Stavelot to the foot of Redoute favours a big group and is known as such by the riders, reinforcing a stalemate there.

Then come the climb, and the race was over at the top. The gap quickly went out, and there never was any doubt.

Modulo headwind, I actually quite enjoyed the race for 2nd. It took a while for 4 riders to get away before RaF and they worked quite well together. They duked it out on RaF, and Bardet was strong enough to drop the rest and stay away. Ineos chased behind, and Bernal (!) was the first to bridge the gap to the three left in front. The wind, the route and the distribution of strengths of those left then meant that no one could get away for 3rd.

While I would like the route to change, I think it's important to keep in mind how different it would have been without Pogi here. Or with Evenepoel at his best here too.

People still thinking Pogacar won't be at least 99% at the Tour?

You really just watched LBL and think the cycling common sense of 2015 applies to him?
I'm with you this time. If he doesn't crash, he can walk in the easiest Giro in the last decade and we can add a super weak field. He will be good in the Tour and I fear he can kill the race in the first 4 days with his insanely strong team in the mountains.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Perhaps it is, but people would ride very different without Pog in front.
In this race how would it have made a difference? The group wouldn't have just let a Bardet stay away imo. That size group could close down 20s in ~7km or whatever if they were racing for the win. Of course they know MvDP is unbeatable in the sprint so there would have been attacks, but I still think mvdps chances of beating the entire field minus Pog would have been greater without Pog up the road.

But if Remco were present that would have also been a problem. So I think we can say MvDP is going to need a lot of tactical luck, a change of course, some freakish weather (?) or some better climbing doms to ever win this race among this generation of riders. Still a podium is mad respectable.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
A great win for the greatest rider in the world. Bardet impressive in second. Van der Poel exceptional to make the podium after a long spring campaign and having to ride hard to make it back to the lead group after getting held up in the crash mid race.
Impressive indeed from Van der Poel for those reasons indeed! Teddy is something else ive never seen anything like him. Chapeau too Bardet too what a ride.

Reactions: Andy262
The race went exactly as expected for first. Nothing before Redoute (besides a crash), as the section from Stavelot to the foot of Redoute favours a big group and is known as such by the riders, reinforcing a stalemate there.

Then come the climb, and the race was over at the top. The gap quickly went out, and there never was any doubt.

Modulo headwind, I actually quite enjoyed the race for 2nd. It took a while for 4 riders to get away before RaF and they worked quite well together. They duked it out on RaF, and Bardet was strong enough to drop the rest and stay away. Ineos chased behind, and Bernal (!) was the first to bridge the gap to the three left in front. The wind, the route and the distribution of strengths of those left then meant that no one could get away for 3rd.

While I would like the route to change, I think it's important to keep in mind how different it would have been without Pogi here. Or with Evenepoel at his best here too.
I just pretended that Pog wasn’t there after la redoubte. Made for an exciting race,

It would have been a vastly more exciting race with Remco. I think he would have followed Pog, or, even more interestingly, might have prevented Pog from attacking until later on faucons.

I’m now convinced that this is not a race for Mvdp, despite his podium. That sounds a little odd, I know, but he likes to win, not contest the sprint for 3rd…

Reactions: Sciatic