liggett and sherwen corporate shills

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
This is standard in the media industry.
Can you imagine the commentary?

"Oh and here they come now, about to start the final climb of the day, the peleton has been blown apart over the last few kilometres and all we have remaining is a small group containing Contador, Schleck, Evans and . . .

The following is a paid announcement funded by the Lance Armstrong Foundation for and on behalf of Lance Armstrong.

The most tested athlete on this year's tour Lance Armstrong, he's in there too, just biding his time before he puts in one of his explosive attacks. They better not count him out."
 
Anyone remember when Tyler confessed and everyone was talking about Tylers accusations against Lance but Lance ignored it and tweeted - "congrats Eki on winning your 2nd gold".

What did Ligget and Sherwen say about the incident that day. Did they mention Tylers accusations. Nope, they just said " in some sad news Tyler Hamilton has admitted to doping and so his olympic gold medal goes to Ekimov. Thats his 2nd gold so well done to Eki."

gooner said:
I remember paul kimmage once said in an interview about the liggett and sherwen and i very much agree with him:

AS: You've said you don't have any respect for Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen, right?

PK: I find it difficult to respect them, because for sure, it's a different job than the one I do, but I think you've got a duty to the truth, a duty to recognize the problem for what it was. And for many many years the d word, the doping word was never mentioned. Even at the height of the Festina scandal, unless they absolutely had to talk about it they didn't. It's hard for me to respect that. Sherwen was a professional, Liggett organized the Tour of Britain that I almost won in 1983. Look, I don't know, these guys are obviously extremely well paid, they love being the voice of cycling, they've earned a hell of a lot out of it, but I think they pay a big price for that. They haven't got my respect, and I don't think they want it anyway, but they don't have my respect, no.

http://velocitynation.com/content/interviews/2009/paul-kimmage
You do seem to have a good recollection of good quotations about cycling. Keep'em coming.

BroDeal said:
Do you think he was being truthful with you or do you think that he was not willing to tell you what he really thought? He had to be lying to you, no?
The truth always sounds like lies to sinners.
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
9000ft said:
I just wish Phil and Paul would quit saying anything that the CN forum doesn't like or agree with. (I think that means just about everything - tough crowd to please here)
In agreement with the post of Spetsa that you are always running interference for Lance.

It is incomprehensible to me why Sherwin always refers to LA as "the big Texan"

Armstrong's statistics - 1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in). Weight, 71 kg (157 lb)

Makes him a middleweight division boxer. Hardly the statistics for a bouncer, bodyguard, linebacker, front row forward or slam dunk basketballer.
 
Oct 1, 2010
320
0
0
The Hitch said:
Anyone remember when Tyler confessed and everyone was talking about Tylers accusations against Lance but Lance ignored it and tweeted - "congrats Eki on winning your 2nd gold".

What did Ligget and Sherwen say about the incident that day. Did they mention Tylers accusations. Nope, they just said " in some sad news Tyler Hamilton has admitted to doping and so his olympic gold medal goes to Ekimov. Thats his 2nd gold so well done to Eki."

You do seem to have a good recollection of good quotations about cycling. Keep'em coming.

The truth always sounds like lies to sinners.
Did they really say it was his second gold? It would actually be his third gold as he'd won a gold medal at the Seoul Olympics as well as one at Sydney.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
9000ft said:
I just wish Phil and Paul would quit saying anything that the CN forum doesn't like or agree with. (I think that means just about everything - tough crowd to please here)
Someone is having a tough time dealing with the death of the myth
 
May 18, 2009
3,758
0
0
How much money does Liggett have now vs how much would he have if he spit in the soup? Scoreboard.
 
Feb 4, 2010
548
0
0
spetsa said:
Why don't you try to add something to the discussion. You seem to be lurking around every corner, ready to jump in and let all, who don't have you on their ignore list, know how stupid they and the CN forum are.:confused:
Add something to the discussion??? In the clinic?? Sorry, but there is so little discussed here with any semblance of even handedness that it's almost impossible to participate in a serious discussion. Like just about all other threads in the clinic, this one is just an opportunity for the regulars to express how much they hate someone because they are not up to their standards. When I said, "tough crowd here" that was a serious statement. I really don't think according to the prevalent (not total) CN clinic orthodoxy anyone, or at least almost anyone thinks anybody in cycling is worth any admiration. No one, be it rider, director, commentator, media, or hell, just about all the fans except those few who are undeluded true and pure cycling fans (according to the orthodoxy) are anyhting but chamois sniffing fanboys.

Sorry, but it's really difficult to have a real, respectful conversation when that's the dynamic. For me, it's become just entertainment. A good portion of the folks who post here seem to take it as almost life and death.
 
May 18, 2009
3,758
0
0
9000ft said:
Add something to the discussion??? In the clinic?? Sorry, but there is so little discussed here with any semblance of even handedness that it's almost impossible to participate in a serious discussion. Like just about all other threads in the clinic, this one is just an opportunity for the regulars to express how much they hate someone because they are not up to their standards. When I said, "tough crowd here" that was a serious statement. I really don't think according to the prevalent (not total) CN clinic orthodoxy anyone, or at least almost anyone thinks anybody in cycling is worth any admiration. No one, be it rider, director, commentator, media, or hell, just about all the fans except those few who are undeluded true and pure cycling fans (according to the orthodoxy) are anyhting but chamois sniffing fanboys.

Sorry, but it's really difficult to have a real, respectful conversation when that's the dynamic. For me, it's become just entertainment. A good portion of the folks who post here seem to take it as almost life and death.
Wrong. Anybody LA is mean to is admired, regardless of their history.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
9000ft said:
Add something to the discussion??? In the clinic?? Sorry, but there is so little discussed here with any semblance of even handedness that it's almost impossible to participate in a serious discussion. Like just about all other threads in the clinic, this one is just an opportunity for the regulars to express how much they hate someone because they are not up to their standards. When I said, "tough crowd here" that was a serious statement. I really don't think according to the prevalent (not total) CN clinic orthodoxy anyone, or at least almost anyone thinks anybody in cycling is worth any admiration. No one, be it rider, director, commentator, media, or hell, just about all the fans except those few who are undeluded true and pure cycling fans (according to the orthodoxy) are anyhting but chamois sniffing fanboys.

Sorry, but it's really difficult to have a real, respectful conversation when that's the dynamic. For me, it's become just entertainment. A good portion of the folks who post here seem to take it as almost life and death.
Yeah, yeah, we get it. The death of the myth has made you angry and you choose to toss raccoon's

 
Jan 27, 2010
921
0
0
gooner said:
Kimmage also said this about them back in a 2007 interview:
... Phil Liggett would be way down my Christmas card list, as would Paul Sherwen. In fact there isn’t a broadcaster I respect at all.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/348323/the-big-interview-paul-kimmage.html
I find it very hard to listen to commentators or broadcasters who are as vividly biased as P&P. They just didn't forget to mention most other riders when LA was raging up a mountain, they would actively state "so and so isn't riding this year as he tested positive, or is being investigated for last year"...the last year that LA beat a particular rider by more than 10 minutes.

Phil and Paul...."their race, their face, their disgrace".

NW
 
Jul 22, 2009
754
0
0


Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the yellow car, the guy in the fluerescent vest is 95% of the people in the Clinic and the only thing standing between us is the darn tree (moderator).

IMO anyone who dishes out this level of hate towards cyclists, commentators, et cetera, ought not be allowed in here.
 
Mar 18, 2009
775
0
0
Señor_Contador said:


Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the yellow car, the guy in the fluerescent vest is 95% of the people in the Clinic and the only thing standing between us is the darn tree (moderator).

IMO anyone who dishes out this level of hate towards cyclists, commentators, et cetera, ought not be allowed in here.
I am completely puzzled by your metaphor. So you're the guy totally out of control driving a machine too fast and a complete danger to everyone near him, 95% of the people in the clinic are the guy who just because he happened to be standing in the wrong place is in danger of being killed by your reckless incompetence, and the moderator is the guy who saves the bystander's life. So your point is... that you ought to be banned?
 
AngusW said:
Did they really say it was his second gold? It would actually be his third gold as he'd won a gold medal at the Seoul Olympics as well as one at Sydney.
No, that mistake was mine.

Edit: I realise I just made history by being the first and last person to ever admit that they were wrong about something and Ligget was right, even if he was merely reading from script.
 
9000ft said:
For me, it's become just entertainment. A good portion of the folks who post here seem to take it as almost life and death.
Like I've said years ago, Armstrong owns these "life and death" guys. He will be in their brain until their last breath. Good to hear it out of the mouth of babes though. Welcome to the dark side of The Clinic.

The trick is to not stay too long. Through them the proverbial bone and watch them try to outdo themselves with the most vitriolic attack they can muster on your bone. Beware though, they're like a pack of rabidness dogs, if you get bit you're sure to contract Armstrongitis. You'll spend the rest of your days resurrecting 30 month old threads that have nothing and everything to do with Armstrong.
 
I don't really think it's in their remit to discuss things like that. If very few in the teams are discussing it publicly, why should they? They report the news. What do you expect them to say?

However, accepting lifts in rider's private planes must harm their impartiality a bit.
 
Aug 3, 2010
843
0
0
SpeedWay said:
Like I've said years ago, Armstrong owns these "life and death" guys. He will be in their brain until their last breath. Good to hear it out of the mouth of babes though. Welcome to the dark side of The Clinic.

The trick is to not stay too long. Through them the proverbial bone and watch them try to outdo themselves with the most vitriolic attack they can muster on your bone. Beware though, they're like a pack of rabidness dogs, if you get bit you're sure to contract Armstrongitis. You'll spend the rest of your days resurrecting 30 month old threads that have nothing and everything to do with Armstrong.
Wrong you are. LA doesn't own anyone anymore. All he owns is a couple of houses, a rolling orphanage and a rapidly tarnishing image. Oh yeah...and the guilt and embarassment that will be in HIS brain until his last breath.
 
doolols said:
I don't really think it's in their remit to discuss things like that. If very few in the teams are discussing it publicly, why should they? They report the news. What do you expect them to say?

However, accepting lifts in rider's private planes must harm their impartiality a bit.
I think they should declare their paid interests. If CES or Armstrong is paying them then they need to declare it.

In terms of the impartiality; when the Floyd revelations came out in 2010 most news organizations "reporting" the news would provide both sides - ie Floyd says they doped whilst Armstrong denies any wrong-doing and has never tested positive.

Whilst Phil, Paul and Bobke thought it would be a good idea to spend 10 minutes on Versus telling the world all of Floyd ills and that he has a "book deal" and his "credibility" was shot. It sounded strangely similar to the press conference Armstrong gave.

It really was poor journalism if you want to call it that. If they are being paid by Armstrong say so but to pretend they're part of the media and the opinions given are "true" then I think that’s truly poor ethics.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Señor_Contador said:
Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the yellow car, the guy in the fluerescent vest is 95% of the people in the Clinic and the only thing standing between us is the darn tree (moderator).

IMO anyone who dishes out this level of hate towards cyclists, commentators, et cetera, ought not be allowed in here.
I certainly agree that the hate toward LeMond, Betsy, Simeoni, Tyler, Floyd, Mike Anderson, etc. can get out of control and often irrational......but certainly it is ok to express our displeasure at the way people like Ferrari, Fuentes, and Bruyneel have poisoned the sport while guys like Ligget cheered them on and looked the other way at the obvious.

Should we ignore a national team coach who doped juniors? How about a DS hold tells riders "Take the shot or you do not ride"?

Perhaps you, 9000 feet, and Speedway could give us a list? It would be their first contribution to the forum that is not some form of "You guys suck!"
 
Utterly nauseating was how Sherwen would constantly remind the viewing public how much weight Armstrong lost while maintaining his strength, allowing for this utterly unbelievable feat of physiological awesomeness to occur.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS