• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liquigas looks good for the tour

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/liquigas-cannondale-announces-tour-de-france-roster

Nibali the leader. Sounds like Basso as super-domestique. Those Sidi adds have come true - Basso serving Nibali :D. I remember wondering if there was a subtext in there...

Sagan's going to win more than one stage. Oss will be there to help him in the finishes.

A loaded team. Should bring some excitement to the race. Sagan for the green, and Nibali to podium!

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
will be tough for them even though this team will be strong on paper, I don't think Basso's style will work to well splitting the field on these type of tour climbs. I do think that Nibali and Sanchez will fight it out for a podium spot, both have similar skills, and will want to gain time on the descents. Hoping for some cooperation between those 2.

Sagan will defiantly get his though haven't taken a good enough look to tell you which stages are suited for him but Im saying 1 most def and perhaps 2 or 3. The only problem I can see is if on those medium mt stages which he utterly dominates if his team can keep the breakaways from gaining to much time to bring it back at the end. Especially with the strong GC teams needing rest days and the sprinters being dropped. If Goss and his team have there climbing legs I see a bunch of Sagan VS Goss VS EBH sprints from a slightly reduced group.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
MizzouJack said:
I don't think Basso's style will work to well splitting the field on these type of tour climbs.

He should be able to reduce the lead group to a very select bunch of riders on any decent length climb (10 or so in size) which would be effective enough to have some sort of impact on the outcome of the day. Might not be the most effective person to split a field but he is still one of the best climbers in the world and will do a lot of damage.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Sagan will give them plenty of success in this tour, I can see him winning mulitple stages in this tour and maybe even taking green. Nibali I'm not so sure about as he didn't show the best form in the Dauphine, but he definitely has a chance of making the podium. He can't time trial as good as Wiggo so hopefully he will put in attacks and be a animator of the race in the more mountainous stages.

It will be interesting to see Sagan against the world's best sprinters.

I truly believe Nibali could podium. He is a gritty rider and I think this course fits him. He may not be winning grand tours left and right, but he is always a top finisher. His ride in the very tough and isolating 2011 giro really impressed me. Now his form in the dauphine showed that he has room for improvement.

sorry, but as I wrote in another thread, this setup with "3" Leaders" is only going to ruin Nibali's ambitions-We all know Basso won't do a damn thing for him, and rather he'll be alert to take over if Nibbs falters- and Sagan simply cannot be stopped-he'll go for any stage win he can get......

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
sorry, but as I wrote in another thread, this setup with "3" Leaders" is only going to ruin Nibali's ambitions-We all know Basso won't do a damn thing for him, and rather he'll be alert to take over if Nibbs falters- and Sagan simply cannot be stopped-he'll go for any stage win he can get......

i guess all will depend on Nibali's performance: if in the first half of the tour( till the alps) he will prove to be a contender for the podium/top 5 Basso will sacrifice himself for the rest of the race. Otherwise i think he will try to get in a breakaway in the pyrenees to get a stage.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
When you look at Liquigas' tactics at Milan-San Remo, they didn't give the impression of a team that will neglect Nibali. I'm sure Sagan will be all over the Tour, but it will just him and Oss working together I reckon - the rest of the team looks more like support for Nibali. Anyway I really doubt Liquigas will take a prominent role in the mountains. Everyone will be looking to the Skys ;) to set the pace until/unless someone attacks. Although Liquigas do have form for gratuitous uphill train forming.

hfer07 said:

that's the point of discussion in other threads...considering Nibbles won't renew his contract, Leaky has every right to support both Sagan and Basso in their quest for whatever their goal is.

Basso choosing to ride the ITT NC should be proof he won't work for Nibbles. For the team yeah, for Nibbles no way.

Pippo_San said:
that's the point of discussion in other threads...considering Nibbles won't renew his contract, Leaky has every right to support both Sagan and Basso in their quest for whatever their goal is.

So Nibali has done whatever they asked in the past 7 years and now they won't support him in the first quest for a podium spot in the tour since back in 2009?

Fair enough.

Pippo_San said:

Basso choosing to ride the ITT NC should be proof he won't work for Nibbles. For the team yeah, for Nibbles no way.
This is nonsense. Both Sagan and Basso will ride for Nibali as they expressed it publicly. Unless, of course, Lo Squalo would under perform or crash out.

offbyone said:
It will be interesting to see Sagan against the world's best sprinters.

I truly believe Nibali could podium. He is a gritty rider and I think this course fits him. He may not be winning grand tours left and right, but he is always a top finisher. His ride in the very tough and isolating 2011 giro really impressed me. Now his form in the dauphine showed that he has room for improvement.

Although Boonen is in his waning years, he certainly got easily smoked in every sprint against Sagan this season.

Sagan often finds his own way in the sprint, has big ba**s and no fear, amazing bike handling skills (one hand wheelie) and is young/powerful and peaking right now.

The field sprints will be real interesting the first week, especially with all the insanity that often is involved with guys trying to get glory that really have no shot in he&& trying to give it a go and taking stupid risks.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Pippo_San said:

If Nibali will have a chance for the podium they will work for him, no matter what will happen next year.

taiwan said:
When you look at Liquigas' tactics at Milan-San Remo, they didn't give the impression of a team that will neglect Nibali. I'm sure Sagan will be all over the Tour, but it will just him and Oss working together I reckon - the rest of the team looks more like support for Nibali. Anyway I really doubt Liquigas will take a prominent role in the mountains. Everyone will be looking to the Skys ;) to set the pace until/unless someone attacks. Although Liquigas do have form for gratuitous uphill train forming.

They did not impress me in the Giro. Lots of work done for no results. Sagan and Nibali could do well but I don't think the team is anything special.

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
...still

cleverhans said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/liquigas-cannondale-announces-tour-de-france-roster

Nibali the leader. Sounds like Basso as super-domestique. Those Sidi ads have come true - Basso serving Nibali :D. I remember wondering if there was a subtext in there...

Sagan's going to win more than one stage. Oss will be there to help him in the finishes.

A loaded team. Should bring some excitement to the race. Sagan for the green, and Nibali to podium!

So, let's see, Sagan, 2 stages and in green

Basso...
Basso super domestique for Nibali in Tour de France
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-super-domestique-for-nibali-in-tour-de-france

Nibali still in the hunt for GC...

Looking good.:)

TRENDING THREADS