• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

List of all riders with a Grand Tour podium

Hi all,

I would love to know if there is a source somewhere listing all riders having been at least once on a Grand Tour podium, and how many podiums they have. It is very easy to find for wins, but not for podiums/top 10s etc.

I'm specifically interested in finding a list of riders with multiple podiums, but no Grand Tour win.

Thank you for your help

Landa and Vlasov enter the list

3 wins
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali

3 podiums
1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 2nd, 1st - Roglič

1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
1st, 3rd, 2nd - Carapaz
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Rodríguez
2nd, 2nd, 3rd - Van Springel

2 podiums
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 6th, 1st - Battaglin
1st, 1st, 6th - Bernal
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
3rd, 4th, 1st - Yates, S.
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
1st, 2nd, 6th - Dumoulin
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
4th, 2nd, 3rd - Géminiani
1st, 7th, 2nd - Pollentier
6th, 3rd, 1st - Vinokourov
5th, 3rd, 2nd - Pérez Francés
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
2nd, 2nd, 7th - Uran
6th, 3rd, 2nd - Leipheimer
2nd, 2nd, 8th - Ugrumov
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
3rd, 6th, 3rd - López, M. A.
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
3rd, 10th, 2nd - Fernández Blanco

1 podium
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
4th, 1st, 5th - Van Impe
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
4th, 5th, 2nd - Lejarreta
4th, 3rd, 4th - Kruijswijk
1st, 4th, 7th - De Muynck
3rd, 5th, 4th - Kelderman
3rd, 4th, 5th - Landa

4th, 3rd, 5th - López Carril
7th, 5th, 1st - Loroño
4th, 3rd, 6th - Pinot
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
6th, 3rd, 5th - Rumšas
2nd, 6th, 7th - Casagrande
7th, 5th, 3rd - Criquielion
1st, 10th, 5th - Adorni
8th, 7th, 1st - Gabica
9th, 3rd, 4th - Yates, A.
7th, 6th, 3rd - Impanis
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
4th, 10th, 3rd - Van Looy
5th, 9th, 3rd - Zakarin
1st, 7th, 10th - Hindley
1st, 7th, 10th - Moser
10th, 8th, 2nd - Muñóz Machín
2nd, 10th, 9th - Caruso, D.

No podium
5th, 5th, 4th - Thurau
5th ,6th , 4th* - Mollema
4th, 5th, 7th - Vlasov

5th ,7th, 6th - Totschnig
7th ,4th* ,8th - Van den Broeck
10th ,6th ,4th - Martin D
8th ,6th ,6th - Chozas
5th , 8th ,8th - Fuchs
6th ,7th ,9th - Konig
8th ,9th ,8th - Serrano

and Vingegaard moves onto the list of those just one top ten away from appearing, when and if he turns his attention to the Giro.

As for riders with the most GT podiums without winning one, I'm guessing it's Joaquim Rodriguez and Claudio Chiappucci with five each, unless there's some old-timer I'm not aware of.

Edit: Oh wait, Chiappucci has six podiums. So he's very likely the answer, then.

It is Chiapucci indeed, judging by procyclingstats: https://www.procyclingstats.com/statistics.php?rnk=3&active=0&filter=Filter&p=grandtours&s=top-10s.

Unless I overlooked someone, there are two riders on Procyclingstats' list of GT riders with the most podium finishers with 6 or more such finishes who have never won: Chiapucci and Bartolomeo Aimo. Aimo participated in 9 Grand Tours (6 Giros and 3 TdFs), finished 7 of them and came 3rd five times and 2nd once.

The one time Aimo finished and didn't make the podium was in the 1924 Tour. That year, Aimo came fourth, 1 hr 32 minutes and 47 seconds down on the winner Ottavio Bottecchia. He missed the podium by 34 seconds: third was Lucien Buysse who was 1 hr 32 minutes and 13 seconds behind Bottecchia.

Edit: The men I see with 5 podium finishes who haven't won a GT are Purito (indeed), plus José Pérez Francés and oldtimer Jean Alavoine.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I would love to know if there is a source somewhere listing all riders having been at least once on a Grand Tour podium, and how many podiums they have. It is very easy to find for wins, but not for podiums/top 10s etc.

I'm specifically interested in finding a list of riders with multiple podiums, but no Grand Tour win.

Thank you for your help

Procyclingstats has the list of riders who've made the top-N/top 10 most often and their best finish for each GT. Unfortunately, their lists are not complete as they only list the top 100 for each race.

The lists are here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron Zbimg
As for riders with the most GT podiums without winning one, I'm guessing it's Joaquim Rodriguez and Claudio Chiappucci with five each, unless there's some old-timer I'm not aware of.

Edit: Oh wait, Chiappucci has six podiums. So he's very likely the answer, then.
Chiappucci is actually tied for first with Bartolomeo Aimo, who also managed six podiums without a win in the 1920s.

Here's PCS' list of riders with the most podiums (of course including wins).

Unless I overlooked someone, there are two riders on Procyclingstats' list of GT riders with the most podium finishers with 6 or more such finishes who have never won: Chiapucci and Bartolomeo Aimo. Aimo participated in 9 Grand Tours (6 Giros and 3 TdFs), finished 7 of them and came 3rd five times and 2nd once.

The one time Aimo finished and didn't make the podium was in the 1924 Tour. That year, Aimo came fourth, 1 hr 32 minutes and 47 seconds down on the winner Ottavio Bottecchia. He missed the podium by 34 seconds: third was Lucien Buysse who was 1 hr 32 minutes and 13 seconds behind Bottecchia.
Thanks, that was very helpful. I didn't have Aimo in my list of riders with most podiums in GTs:

I have been looking at every Grand Tour to compile the full list myself. I might have missed some (let me know if you notice anything), but this should be the exhaustive list of all the riders that have multiple Grand Tour podiums without ever winning one:

Claudio Chiappucci 6
Bartolomeo Aimo 6
Joaquim Rodriguez 5
Jose Perez Francés 5
Jean Alavoine 5
Italo Zilioli 4
Miguel Maria Lasa 4
Joseba Beloki 4
Jef Demuysere 4
Joaquim Agostinho 3
Francisco Galdos 3
Gianbattista Baronchelli 3
Herman Van Springel 3
Fernando Escartin 3
Raphael Geminiani 3
Samuel Sanchez 3
Rigoberto Uran 3
Reimund Dietzen 3
Giuseppe Martano 3
Felicien Vervaecke 3
Alberto Fernandez Blanco 3
Erik Breukink 3
Robert Millar 3
Piotr Ugrumov 3
Enric Mas 3
Giordano Cottur 3
Giovanni Rossignoli 2 + 1 (1912 Giro ranking was team based)
Mikel Landa 2
Romain Bardet 2
Miguel Ángel Lopez 2
Esteban Chaves 2
Jean Brankart 2
Jan Adriaensens 2
Georges Passerieu 2
Emile Georget 2
Stan Ockers 2
Pasquale Fornara 2
Hector Heusghem 2
Miguel Pacheco 2
Urs Zimmermann 2
Fabio Parra 2
Rik Van Looy 2
Richard Virenque 2
Laurent Dufaux 2
Anselmo Fuerte 2
Eusebio Velez 2
Jean-Baptiste Dortignacq 2
Eugene Christophe 2
Marcel Buysse 2
Giuseppe Pancera 2
Mario Vicini 2
Hennie Kuiper 2
Andreas Klöden 2
Giuseppe Guerini 2
Tommy Prim 2
Ezio Cecchi 2
Enrico Mollo 2
Severino Canavesi 2
Giuseppe Olmo 2
Domenico Piemontesi 2
Luigi Giacobbe 2
Angelo Gremo 1 + 1 (1912 Giro ranking was team based)
Pierino Albini 1 + 1 (1912 Giro ranking was team based)
Giovanni Gerbi 1 + 1 (1912 Giro ranking was team based)

Last edited: