• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Live coverage of Sprint Finishes: Head-on camera or Helicam shot?

Which camera angle should be used for live coverage of a sprint finish?

• Head-on view

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Overhead view

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters
The discussion so for (from TdF stage One thread): apologies if I have left out any relevant comments.
Another thing: I really, really don't hope that showing the sprint from the helicopter live is going to be a thing.
Disagree strongly, unless the argument is that downdraught is an issue (which I have not heard riders complain of) I find the overhead view much more informative in terms of relative speed, identifying riders, lines taken, width of spaces,: everything I would want to know about how the final few hundred mertes play out.
Yeah, we could see who was first and second, the rest were impossible. Viviani was sixth, but he wasn't on the heli shot once.

It's fine (and deeply necessary) to have heli views after the live one, but the front camera needs to be applied for the live sprint. I want to their faces, not their backs the first time I watch the sprint.
So we could do with the zoom being drawn back a bit, but it was only for the last 20metres that the field of view was restricted to 2 riders. I'm not at all sure that it would have been clearer as to whether Bennett had remained ahead of Sagan for 4th on a head-on shot, and that was the only info we lost from the tight zoom.
It's just wrong.
Split screen! :cool:
Completely disagree with this. I can't stand the front view. It makes absolutely no sense as it's really hard to tell who's winning or who won most of the time. Imagine if they showed 100m sprints from the front. Those Usain Bolt Olympic wins wouldn't have been nearly as interesting to watch.

Helicopter view should absolutely be the live standard and they can show the front view afterwards.
So you still think the heli view is a splendid idea? Today, we had no chance of seeing how close the chasers were, nor who was involved in the sprint. Horribly annoying.
I have no idea what you're talking about unless you're talking about something other than the final sprint. There were no chasers and you could see everything. I'm just referring to bunch sprint finishes. In any case, you can zoom in/out as needed but I just rewatched yesterday's finish and the view was great.

Nothing more annoying to me than a heads up shot in a bunch sprint when you have no idea who's in front or who's gaining on who and you have to just see who raises their hand.
I'm talking about today (stage 2).

Also, just look at the front wheels. I can almost always tell who won.
Ahh, didn't realize you were talking about today. Yeah, the producers should always make a decision on the view based on the situation.

As for bunch sprints, sure, you can tell whose wheel is in front when they show slo-mo replays from the front, but not in real time when they are scattered across the road at top speed.
I disagree on the last part but I think it's fairly obvious we won't come to an agreement so let's bury it :)
Maybe a split screen of both angles simultaneously woudl be cool
Agreed. You obviously have way better vision or a quicker eye-to-brain processing time than I do. I usually don't have any idea until someone celebrates in that scenario.
The heli shot is always delayed a second or two, so I would imagine that would be difficult to get right.

Reactions: Red Rick
Split screen would be amazing if the technology was good enough to fully match them both up.

The overhead always seems to make it much clearer who has won even with the footage rolling at the same speed and its frustrating on the head on shot frequently being unable to determine who crossed the line first.

Reactions: Sandisfan
For me it's not just a question of this or that. It's okay if they show them from the front, if the camera is far enough away. I don't need to see every single tooth. If the zoom is right, I'm fine with the front view. If it makes me see their faces up close but completely shuts out the situation, it's annoying.

Something similar goes for the heli-view: If it's a good one, it's great, if it's a bad one, it does not tell me anything.

Please no split screen. I'm viewing on my laptop, the screen is small enough. ;)

I don't think this can be solved by a simple yes or no, it needs great directing and camerawork and those can fail in both cases. I think it needs to be handled really flexible, depending on which pictures you have and what the situation is like.

Head-on view tells the viewer nothing about who's winning.

The shot as the riders cross the line should be in the vertical plane of the finish line, which would be similar to, well, any other sport involving crossing a finish line first, anywhere. That can be a heli/drone shot from directly above, or, if space and general conditions at the finish allow, a stadium-style shot from an elevated angle. This is particularly important in a close sprint finish.

But in general, the approach should be filmed from a camera following the action, rather than a stationary one, if only to catch in real time the motion of a rider moving through the bunch like Ewan today.

I think it depends on the race situation. I love the front on view when, for instance, the peloton or a group of chasers is closing on the leaders as we did in stage two. I know that the telescoping effect sometimes distorts that view (i.e., “Objects in your mirror may be closer than they appear”) but I’ve learned to compensate for that.
Also, the overhead, which is great for post-race analysis, is from too far up makes the riders look more like computer-game pieces.

I’m glad we get to see both views eventually.

One day, maybe drones can be used for the final kilometer stretch.
Drones and multicast, so the viewer can pick whichever view he prefers. I also hope in the future the 3 camera bikes can be replaced by multiple drones, so riders who have fallen behind, can still be viewed/followed. I hate not being able to see how riders are doing in a mountain stage who are not covered by camera 1 (break), 2 (favorites) or 3 (peloton) when everything is shattered.

Reactions: jaylew
No brainer: head-on view any day of the week. Overhead as a replay.

It's a big part of the suspense to see riders -seemingly- go side by side, not knowing who's in front until they cross the finish line. Especially when watching with someone else, it's fun to give live commentary and guess who's going to take it.

An overhead view totally kills that.
Basically this.

No brainer: head-on view any day of the week. Overhead as a replay.

It's a big part of the suspense to see riders -seemingly- go side by side, not knowing who's in front until they cross the finish line. Especially when watching with someone else, it's fun to give live commentary and guess who's going to take it.

An overhead view totally kills that.
Would you like that same view in running, swimming, car racing, etc...or just cycling? To me, it's more exciting to initially find out who won by SEEING it rather than finding out from a commentator or waiting on someone to raise his hands.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Would you like that same view in running, swimming, car racing, etc...or just cycling? To me, it's more exciting to initially find out who won by SEEING it rather than finding out from a commentator or waiting on someone to raise his hands.

We do get that view in the other sports you mention (maybe not swimming).

I have to say that I have a hard time exactly putting my finger on the exact reason why the live heli shot bugs me as much as it does but I really dislike it.

I love to see it after the sprint, though.

Reactions: Flamin

No, but those are completely different sports. A 100m sprint for example can be captured perfectly with side view by a fixed camera. Same with swimming. Obviously that's not as easy in cycling because it's much more dynamic.

Also, you can still see from head-on view who's going to win on most occasions before the winner raises his hands. It's not a total shot in the dark like it could be with running or swimming.

Another reason is not seeing the grit, emotion on the rider's face from heli view, let alone how much harder it is to actually properly identify a rider.

Running has side on, Motor sport has a diagonal, swimming side but higher: what other sport does head on?
None of them.

I'd like to see something like this;

rowing-123.jpg

With transponders and digital technology, it shouldn't even be hugely difficult to have a rider identifier pop up as they cross the line.

Obviously, the rowing finish line is, by necessity, a lot wider than a road cycling finish line, so the 2 aren't 100% compatible, but I think looking for something like the above could be a good starting point.

TRENDING THREADS