• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LOL. McQuaid receives huge boos at UCI Worlds

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
He didn't say both should be booed though, he implied the blame of both is comparable.

I saw his tweet and he never said that. I think Benson was implying American fans love cheats like Danielson and hate corrupts admins that let them cheat.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Who is this Daniel Benson muppet?
Oh, just Cyclingnews' managing editor.
Cyclingnews' editorial team leader, Dan organises the site's coverage with the team around the globe.
I saw his tweet and he never said that.
He implied it. If he finds it funny or doesn't understand why someone would boo McQuaid but not Danielson, he's implying both are equally booable. Which is ridiculous.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Oh, just Cyclingnews' managing editor.

He implied it. If he finds it funny or doesn't understand why someone would boo McQuaid but not Danielson, he's implying both are equally booable. Which is ridiculous.

What Dan found funny was that American fans were cheering a known cheat in Danielson. Which is fair enough.

Quote from Cookson:

“The UCI is very united but it’s very concerned by external pressure but our job is to make sure that the sport of cycling develops and continues to grow and expand. Whilst we acknowledge that these are very difficult times we think that it’s very important that we support the current leadership and we’ll see where the next few months take us.”

Why is the priority of the UCI to expand the sport? Shouldn't the first priority to be to eliminate the diseases of doping and corruption that are putting the sport in peril?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Quote from Cookson:

Why is the priority of the UCI to expand the sport? Shouldn't the first priority to be to eliminate the diseases of doping and corruption that are putting the sport in peril?

Cookson showing his omerta. No surprise there.

Benson is really no different to McQuaid, Cookson and the rest of the corrupt and morally dubious ****s who run cycling.

Benson has some really weird positions about doping. He also said he didn't see any point in Ullrich confessing.

I think he's had his head so far up the **** of the peloton that the only thing he knows is that omerta is a good thing.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Having found CNews's report of the Friday " Talkfest " on :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-offer-public-show-of-unity-in-face-of-mounting-pressure

I left the following comment :

Finally i find that , WE THE PUBLIC , are back where we were , BEFORE , Friday's " Ole Boys Club , talkfest "! That , those that attended the meeting , were representing , US THE CYCLING FANS , never entered their heads !

Surely , UCI Delegates need to establish the minimum level of Intelligence , in order to get to the point where they are elected to this level in the UCI ? Or , is it a case of the Aigle tag team duo , selecting those they can corrupt / bribe , most easily ?

People have been pointing the finger at " Team Sky " after the " One horse race ", that the TDF was this year . Further finger pointing occured when the " Zero Tolerance Policy " was introduced at Team Sky & British cycling . Now we have the scenario of " UCI Delegates " pretending that " killing off " the UCIIC was in the best interests of the " Sport of Cycling " ? Give us the time to see how it goes for a few more months they say ?

WE THE CYCLING PUBLIC , need to see ACTION ! NOT MORE PLATITUDES !

Cycling Fans can express their dismay by email to the following " Delegates " , most of whom , are reputed to be intelligent , thinking and forthright ! Those that side with phat & nein , will deserve to be treated with derision !

Mike Plant membership@usacycling.org usa

Attn Hee Wook Cho cycling@sports.or.kr korea

Attn Renato Di Rocco Presdenza@federciclismo.it italy

Artur Lopes geral@uvp-fpc.pt portugal

Mohamed Wagih Azzam Egypt_cycling@hotmail.com egypt

Daniel Baal dbaal.cycling@ymail.com france

Jose Manuel Pelaez panaci@enet,cu cuba

Sheik FaisalBin Humaid Al Qassimi info@uaecf.ae uae

brian cookson info@britishcycling.org.uk uk

david Lappartient presidency@ffc.fr france

Mohamed Jamel Louafi ftc@planet.tn tunisia

igor Makarov cycling@roc.ru russia

Peder Pedersen dcu@dcu-cykling.dk denmark

Were these people trying to do well by Cycling on Friday , or was it another " Jolly "?

I am Skippy Mc Carthy and my views can be found in http://www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com and @skippydetour

I am ashamed to admit , that there was a time that i thought , both Nein & phat , were worthy of being treated as people , that had held " The Best Interests of Sport " uppermost !

The comment has " Your comment is awaiting modereration " so far !

Do i care what they think ?

NO !

Bag_O_Wallet said:
Good stuff. They gave him the Gary Bettman treatment!:D

" Dont think too many people are gonna understand that one"

Come on boys and girls, let the rest of the cycling world in! Gary Bettman is the Commissioner of the National Hockey League (NHL) and reviled in Canada because he favoured expanding hockey to markets in the southern USA where there is no interest in the game (Atlanta, Phoenix, Nashville etc.) as opposed to expansion in Canadian markets where there is interest (Hamilton, Quebec City etc.)

His smarmy style aggravates virtually every Canadian hockey fan and he is derisively booed whenever he appears anywhere in Canada.However unlike McQuaid he is not stupid.

McQuaid has the unfortunate traits of being obtuse, a concrete thinker and really, really ignorant about his lack of leadership and the role the UCI has played in failing to be pro-active about doping. He is one of those guys who does not understand why he needs to resign, like the King with no clothes. That is dumb and dumber and dumber still.

I hope that helps D-Qued

RobbieCanuck said:
" Dont think too many people are gonna understand that one"

Come on boys and girls, let the rest of the cycling world in! Gary Bettman is the Commissioner of the National Hockey League (NHL) and reviled in Canada because he favoured expanding hockey to markets in the southern USA where there is no interest in the game (Atlanta, Phoenix, Nashville etc.) as opposed to expansion in Canadian markets where there is interest (Hamilton, Quebec City etc.)

His smarmy style aggravates virtually every Canadian hockey fan and he is derisively booed whenever he appears anywhere in Canada.However unlike McQuaid he is not stupid.

McQuaid has the unfortunate traits of being obtuse, a concrete thinker and really, really ignorant about his lack of leadership and the role the UCI has played in failing to be pro-active about doping. He is one of those guys who does not understand why he needs to resign, like the King with no clothes. That is dumb and dumber and dumber still.

I hope that helps D-Qued

I was counting myself in the four... make that five... that would know who was being referred to.

I don't agree with you on the IQ comparison, however.

Phat has lined his pockets proportionately far better than Gary did. When it comes to hiding doping, Phat has been a marvel. The only time Bettman comes close is on how the controversy around Hockey players and Italy's anti-doping laws disappeared just before the Torino games. Then again, he probably had nothing to do with the disappearing act.

On the down side of Gary's IQ, there is all kinds of talk of another team in the GTHA now. The headline in this morning's Star was to the effect that 'at least the Leafs tried for once against Boston'. Most valuable team in the league, and it never, ever has to win. The only reason the Leafs have to take PEDs is in case they ever get traded to a real team.

WTF is a team doing in Phoenix?

Why is it owned by the league, and why are all the other teams paying for it to be there? Not like Phoenix is a big TV audience.

Bettman is an idiot to have not taken Balsillie's offer to move the Dogs to Hamilton. If Buffalo's sellouts are limited to Leaf games, imagine what a team in Hamilton could do for their finances.

Dave.

Right way to do it. It will probably have zero effect but since the man is living in his own little bubble, it wouldn't surprise me if he thought he was a popular chap among the fans. He isn't. And this was a great example of that. Should be awkward for him. Probably isn't.

McQuaid is no different to Bettman, Tony Blair, Harper or pretty much anyone in the public eye etc in that they will rationalise it that the people who are booing 'don't get it'. He will rationalise it that it isn't him who is wrong it is the public who is wrong. He's no different to the riders, or the media in this sense. It's never their fault and they are not responsible.

orbeas said:
Seems Mr Cookson is happy to reply on this site

http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102448

The amusing and ironic thing is that Cookson uses exactly the same prickly defense that the McQuaid's use when they pitch up on Irish cycling forums - right down to the same accusation of someone hiding behind an anonymous internet forum. Cookson obviously got his crib notes from Andrew.

D-Queued said:
I was counting myself in the four... make that five... that would know who was being referred to.

I don't agree with you on the IQ comparison, however.

Phat has lined his pockets proportionately far better than Gary did. When it comes to hiding doping, Phat has been a marvel. The only time Bettman comes close is on how the controversy around Hockey players and Italy's anti-doping laws disappeared just before the Torino games. Then again, he probably had nothing to do with the disappearing act.

On the down side of Gary's IQ, there is all kinds of talk of another team in the GTHA now. The headline in this morning's Star was to the effect that 'at least the Leafs tried for once against Boston'. Most valuable team in the league, and it never, ever has to win. The only reason the Leafs have to take PEDs is in case they ever get traded to a real team.

WTF is a team doing in Phoenix?

Why is it owned by the league, and why are all the other teams paying for it to be there? Not like Phoenix is a big TV audience.

Bettman is an idiot to have not taken Balsillie's offer to move the Dogs to Hamilton. If Buffalo's sellouts are limited to Leaf games, imagine what a team in Hamilton could do for their finances.

Dave.

I have to say, as a lifelong Winnipegger, that after losing a team in '95 to Southern US Bettmania and watching as the whole process fail and became a sad farce, hearing the announcement that they were crawling back with a south US expansion franchise, and then seeing Bettman get roundly, soundly booed presenting the Cup to Boston, was a very satisfying moment on a gut level. Seeing McQuaid get mildly booed at the CX worlds is nice, but about a 1 on the scale of 1-10 of what I want to see happen to the guy.

TRENDING THREADS