• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Long term effects of doping

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sideshadow said:
Thanks KrebsCycle, you have been most informative. I am still not fully convinced, but time will tell I guess :). Thanks.

@Wiggo. I'm not sure.
Me neither, even though Lundby is a world renowned expert, it's still too big a call to say "the only performance enhancing mechanism resulting from EPO use is increased O2 transport" because who knows what science will discover in the future?

He says "there is no evidence" though, but nobody has done a study in pro level cyclists on the long term effects (like years of use) of EPO use.

What I think is that by far the dominant performance effect is O2 transport, and without a doubt, that goes back to normal within a month or two no matter how long you were doping (you explained exactly why this happens in your above posts). The structural changes such as capillarisation and mitochondrial density might take several months to go back to normal. Maybe there are some other changes that remain for years, but without the most important physiological changes lost, then anything else is going to be barely noticeable from a performance perspective.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
sideshadow said:
. . . It's purpose was also just to show that there are still effects that these drugs have, that we don't know of yet, whose to say there aren't more, and therefore should guys be allowed back after a two year ban if these drugs, and the increased training it allows for, could still have a residual effect?

Cardiac myocytes for the most part don't undergo death and regeneration, such as skin cells, and are classically thought of as a terminally differentiated organ. Only recently has it been shown that regeneration is possible following organ injury. This is the same with skeletal muscle cells and the change in size is largely due to changes in cell size and not number. An increase in death of these cells is usually pathologic, and under normal circumstances shouldn't occur in a healthy young adult.
. . .

My understanding, of cell life, is that there is constant regeneration of almost all cells in the body - but at different rates. E.g. muscle cells have a 15 year "lifespan". With the exception of sections of the brain. Also, realize I am no more than an intelligent and educated layman with a decent ability to use my intelligence rationally. So, if you can correct my understanding, in plain English (helps to reduce translation times ;) ), then please do so.

Krebs cycle said:
Me neither, even though Lundby is a world renowned expert, it's still too big a call to say "the only performance enhancing mechanism resulting from EPO use is increased O2 transport" because who knows what science will discover in the future?

He says "there is no evidence" though, but nobody has done a study in pro level cyclists on the long term effects (like years of use) of EPO use.

What I think is that by far the dominant performance effect is O2 transport, and without a doubt, that goes back to normal within a month or two no matter how long you were doping (you explained exactly why this happens in your above posts). The structural changes such as capillarisation and mitochondrial density might take several months to go back to normal. Maybe there are some other changes that remain for years, but without the most important physiological changes lost, then anything else is going to be barely noticeable from a performance perspective.

Among other things, krebs says above - 1. that most of the dopage effect is gone in a short time after quitting the doping, and 2. that any long term changes noted are minor. Previously, I had thought even longer term impact wasn't "long-term" - i.e. not even months. Krebs says maybe months. L M & G says maybe years, for steroid changes. But that idea of years is based on subjective experience (i.e. "common knowledge" amongst body builders, combined with personal real-life experience). Now, I am all for listening to real-life experience, but it has rather well noted limitations.

So, I'm still thinking that there isn't really any long-term impact. But, I am more open to the possibility that there might be, albeit extremely small. Now, I also realize that a tiny difference is all it takes to be in 1st place instead of 2nd. Sometimes that difference is thousandths of a second - the width of a wheel is more than enough.

So, the real question is: lifetime bans? Or, two years? - Man, if we could just get to the point where we could agree that we had a VALID testing environment, I would seriously take that question on. Until then, that question is still merely rhetorical, imo. However, today, I would still vote for 2 years. Insufficient evidence of real long-term advantage.

4 year ban

I would think a 4 year ban would be appropriate for any blood manipulation stuff. Regardless of the supposed or not long-term effects, 4 years is long enough to scare the **** out of riders but is not as draconian as lifetime bans in encouraging cover-ups and corruption on a wide scale.

V3R1T4S said:
I would think a 4 year ban would be appropriate for any blood manipulation stuff. Regardless of the supposed or not long-term effects, 4 years is long enough to scare the **** out of riders but is not as draconian as lifetime bans in encouraging cover-ups and corruption on a wide scale.

A team ban would work, but the UCI is too corrupt to implement such a thing.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned the quoted studies in the "Physiology" thread, and Frank Day (who is, after all, a heart doc) had some interesting responses.

FrankDay said:
I guess I don't find it too surprising that EPO might, under certain circumstances, be shown to have some effects beyond simple RBC enhancement. The question really is are these other effects occurring at doses seen by athletes and, if so, is there any clinical effect from the change. These studies, IMHO, are not very supportive of such an effect. Of course, this thread is discussing all PED's many of which I do accept might have long-term effects. But, we are in this thread, so far, limiting ourselves to EPO and it's effects on VO2max. Here is an excerpt from the above article
The above-mentioned data raise the question as to whether extraerythropoietic effects of erythropoietin are relevant in patients treated with recombinant erythropoietins for the correction of anaemia. However, it is important to emphasize that, so far, extraerythropoietic effects have usually been demonstrated only with concentrations of erythropoietin that are much higher than those usually achieved during anaemia management with erythropoietin.
As noted above, the fact that an extraerythropoietic effect has been demonstrated is not evidence it is of any real consideration in the real world. Especially since dosing for athletic enhancement is, I believe, lower than that used for treatment of anemia. While interesting, I guess, I simply do not understand the clinical significance of this finding as it regards athletic performance. Matching convective O2 transport to Erythorocyte mass does not address the diffusion issue, which in my opinion, is the limiting element in oxygen delivery to the tissues. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1114253/ And, of course, beyond that, it doesn't address the issue that there is zero evidence that the heart ever becomes hypoxic in the normal athlete, even at VO2max.
I personally have little interest in discussing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin or, in other words, why and in how many ways use of PED's is bad. My interest is in trying to understand normal physiology that might allow improved performance through legal manipulations. But, as PED's relate to VO2max I presume they belong in this particular thread.

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
From Twitter:

@cdcanning: Wow. Last year @lancearmstrong won Hawaii 70.3 in 3:50. 15 minutes faster than crowies winning time this year.

@Reid_Rothschild: @cdcanning @lancearmstrong hmm? No questions go thru your mind about that "performance" Chris?

‏@lancearmstrong:
@Reid_Rothschild @cdcanning that performance was 100% clean. Like it or not.

If you believe Lance, does he mean that he was clean on the day or clean during the lead up and training as well. Can it even remotely be considered a clean performance, him having been doped up and training at a level that much higher for almost 20 years? What's your guys' opinion on this?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sideshadow said:
@cdcanning: Wow. Last year @lancearmstrong won Hawaii 70.3 in 3:50. 15 minutes faster than crowies winning time this year.

@Reid_Rothschild: @cdcanning @lancearmstrong hmm? No questions go thru your mind about that "performance" Chris?

‏@lancearmstrong:

If you believe Lance, does he mean that he was clean on the day or clean during the lead up and training as well. Can it even remotely be considered a clean performance, him having been doped up and training at a level that much higher for almost 20 years? What's your guys' opinion on this?
the truth means nothing to lance.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
sideshadow said:

‏@lancearmstrong:

Come on.

The course was tailor made for Lance - it had around 90km of TTing in it ffs.

And the competition!? :eek:

Weak as p*ss.

Training for 6hrs/ day and then racing for 4 is much more believable than racing for 4km a few times over a couple of days then dominating for 3000km in 21 days.

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
in distance running
i'd assume lagat and gebreselassie were both on epo years back

they're still near the very top at the ages of 39 and 40-45(gebs exact age is unknown)

whats the story with geb then? has he been on epo for 20 yrs?

sideshadow said:
From Twitter:

‏@lancearmstrong:

The conditions this year were horrendous compared to last year. However... no way was Armstrong clean in his triathlon wins last year. It was his running times that gave it away.