• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Long term effects of inguinal hernia mesh repair surgery

Jan 8, 2018
Visit site
Hello. I have an inguinal hernia and am currently weighing up the options for surgery. I can't ride in my current state, other than gently. I'm male and it's a right side inguinal hernia, low down. Although there are other threads about surgery, I'm interested in any cyclists out there who have experience of the long term effects of mesh repair. I've found a surgeon in Oxford who has done about 3000 of these procedures, and is also a keen cyclist! There are some nasty stories about, as well as many positive ones, and of course there's the bad reports of problems in women who have had mesh used for pelvic floor repair. I'd be very grateful for any comments from people who have lived with this repair in the long term. Thank you!

Jan 8, 2018
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Hi. I've approved this thread but a general note: We don't allow threads asking for medical advice or offering it so if everyone could please avoid that it would be great and we won't have to lock it.

Cheers,

KB.

Thank you. To clarify, I'm asking people for their long term experiences, not for a recommendation of surgeon.

That's what I read, I just wanted to make sure that no-one suggested treatment options as it might force us to close the thread.

Good luck and I hope you have a good outcome, whatever way you eventually go. I currently have an issue with my knee that is affecting my cycling so I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have something effectively stop you doing any cycling.

timdaw said:
Hello. I have an inguinal hernia and am currently weighing up the options for surgery. I can't ride in my current state, other than gently. I'm male and it's a right side inguinal hernia, low down. Although there are other threads about surgery, I'm interested in any cyclists out there who have experience of the long term effects of mesh repair. I've found a surgeon in Oxford who has done about 3000 of these procedures, and is also a keen cyclist! There are some nasty stories about, as well as many positive ones, and of course there's the bad reports of problems in women who have had mesh used for pelvic floor repair. I'd be very grateful for any comments from people who have lived with this repair in the long term. Thank you!

I had the same operation done, lower right side and it was pain free apart from the first night after surgery. You are not supposed to bend or avoid bending and stretching too much for the first few weeks. My doctor even advised against driving for a week or two so you would be off the bike for at least two weeks. I had mine done about five years ago and have had no complications or pain. Two of my brothers also had the surgery done, one by the same doctor before me and has also had no problems or pain. Compared to sinus surgery it was a walk in the park.

Feb 21, 2018
Visit site
I had this procedure done 3 years ago. It was pretty painful the first couple of mornings when getting up, but I was riding my bike gently, with doctor's approval, 6 days after the surgery. I get an occasional strange feeling in the area, which I'm told is normal, but no pain or effect on riding. It was well worth it to me as I was unable to ride for more than an hour or so before without being very uncomfortable. I did a 6-hour race 6 months after and one last year as well with no thought of the issue whatsoever.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I am a male who had this done about 3 1/2 years ago, on a hernia I lived with for about a 1 1/2 years (typical denial, wait n see, putting it off, etc.); I have recorded 20 min light spin on the rollers 4 and 6 days after the surgery, I recall it was "tricky" to walk for about a week- and of course we continue to heal and regain our abilities over time. so, I have to be careful and not strain when pulling anything too heavy but as far as my riding is concerned, for my sit and grind style hilly centuries, it really hasnt affected me.
there is the odd twinge down there from time to time, but that is just par for course as I hear

TRENDING THREADS