• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Looking to buy my first legit road bike.

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
I've been riding road bikes extensively for the past few years. Recently I've become much more invested in the sport and regularly go on rides of about 30 miles or so. However, I've been using old Schwinn bikes that certainly dont seem very efficient. It's reached the point where I'm taking the plunge and ready to invest in a new bike.
I want to be able to increase my ride lengths with this new bike, so I can go for, say, 50 mile rides if that is what I desire. Price range $600-800. I ride primarily for pleasure/fitness, but am also considering trying out for my college's cycling team.
It seems when buying a road bike there are so many avenues to take. I've been doing research online, checking craigslist and ebay. Bikes are a lot cheaper on those sites it seems, but I think its important for me to be able to try out a bike before I buy it. Plus, who really knows what youre buying on ebay until you see it in person. I was also debating buying a new versus used bike, whether that be online or at a bike shop. Finding a good used bike in a bike shop that meets my criteria has been difficult so far, though.
Basically, I'd just like to see what you more experienced guys have to say when you weigh in on this topic. Would you recommend buying online or at a bike store? New or Used? What brands/models would best suit my needs and accommodate my price range? Are there any extra accessories/upgrades that should be made on bikes in my price range?

Thanks a lot and happy riding!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I would go new if at all possible, it is nice to have shop to go to when you start up. having somebody to adjust cables as they stretch, just keep you ticking along. At that range things are pretty similar, don't fret on frames too much. I have seen first hand felt, giant and scott do just fine. Others will have first hand contact with different brands.

Probably go for a compact chainset, you are not going to need a 53 tooth on the front and a 34 or 36 will come in nice at times near the end of those first long rides. You can still get a 52 for compacts if you want bigger gears later.

If shimano, try to get at least 105 or better shifters and rear mech and front brake, the rest of the groupset does not take the same hammering.

If you are going to spend cash anywhere else do it on the shoes and the saddle.
If the shop will swap in a few different saddles for you to sit on all the better. Your points of contact are the places where the long rides stay fun or become hell so don't skimp here. I use shimano 130s, nice mid range shoes.

Used both fizik arione and currently a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow which I think I like about as much.

Edit: Although your local bike shop will probably be just as helpfull if you pick us a 2nd hand bike some where and get the saddle, shoes, and others bits and bobs from them. They don't make too much on bikes anyway, its all th other bits they like to sell. Your concern about seeing what you are getting is valid tho, call the local bike club, people are always trying to move old gear to buy new toys. You could get a good deal on something to help out a new member.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

I made the switch to a road bike a few years ago since I was doing only road riding. I decided to build a bike myself, but I'm not going to say that's the most cost effective way to do it (it worked out very nicely for me, but I shopped hard and got good deals).

labratty made some good points in their reply. The frame won't make as big a difference to your enjoyment as some other aspects of the bike, that's not to say it's irrelevant but since it's not a moving part there's less you'll notice.

Personally I would advise buying online, possibly finding last years model on clearance to get the most bang for your buck. You should be able to use online guides to sizing the frame, crank length and handbar width to get the right size for you. From there you will likely need to change some things in the setup oce you have it (getting a professional fitting would be a good move).

The typical places to pay attention (some noted by labratty also) are:

Crankset/Chainset Size: Do you ride many hills? Do you live in a pan flat area
Cassette Size/Spread: Same as above. An 11-23 cassette isn't for everyone
Pedals: These are personal preference. Everybody is different
Saddles: Again, everybody is different
Stem: The length and height will come from a good fitting

Groupset: As noted Shimano 105 or better would be advisable (or Campagnolo Veloce or better) and go with 10 speed shifters over 9 or 8.

You can get good deals in places like bikesdirect.com who sell Mercier and Motobecane. Some people frown on them but you get a lot of good parts for a very reasonable price.

eBay has some good deals roll through, both used and second hand. A couple of examples I've just seen during a search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-CAAD...ROAD-bike_W0QQitemZ110421278909QQcmdZViewItem - 2007 Cannondale CAAD5, 54cm, 105/Ultegra parts - $600

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Schwinn-Fas...ikes?hash=item414717078d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 - 2007 Schwinn Fastback Elite, Large Frame, 105 parts - $799

Shopping hard online or second hand will get your more bike than going to your local bike store, but getting a good fitting done locally will make it feel good!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Good advice by the other posters. One thing I will add is, don't be afraid to go the your local bike shop and ask what recent trade ins they might have. We have 10-15 riders per month trading up at the moment and there might be a deal to be had. try and foster a relationship with an LBS since, even if it's just labour, a relationship will get you a long way.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Get advice from riders you meet

It is almost always best to buy a new bike from a local shop, provided the shop is a good one! The local riders will help you select the best shop in your area. Often, if you join your university cycling club you will get a discount from the local shop that sponsors them. Joining the club should be free and having them help you will assure you are treated as fairly as possible.

Advantages of buying new from a local shop:

1. All warranties from the manufacturer will be granted to you.

2. Most local shops have service deals that are included in the purchase price.

3. A good local shop will have a staff that will help you get a bike that is of the proper size, and will customize the set-up so that it fits your body well.

4. Shops often give discounts on accessories you will NEED, such as shoes, pedals, helmet, shorts, etc.

In your price range, the Specialized Allez is a bike I recommend without hesitation. The Trek 1.2 is also good for the price.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
If you don't already have them, important accessories include:

* a "bike tool" - one of those multi-tools with a bunch of Allen keys and so on.
* a spare tube, a patch kit (in case you get two punctures), and tire levers to remove the tire from the wheel.
* A CO2 inflator and at least one cartridge, probably two. I've never met *anyone* who can pump a road bike tire up to an acceptable pressure with a mini-pump.
* a mini-pump - for putting the first few bits of air in the tire gradually. Given that the CO2 cartridge does all the hard work, the lightest, smallest one you can find will do.
* Appropriate clothing for your climate. Yes, that means lycra. Cycling is hard enough work without floppy clothing fluttering in the breeze, or sweat accumulating in a cotton T-shirt, waiting to freeze you to death on the way down a hill. A useful piece of clothing in many situations is an ultra-thin shower jacket you can pop in a jersey pocket.
* Proper cycling shoes and clipless pedals. They make a huge difference to your efficiency and comfort.

Yes, all of that adds up to a fair bit of additional spend.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
It is almost always best to buy a new bike from a local shop, provided the shop is a good one! The local riders will help you select the best shop in your area. Often, if you join your university cycling club you will get a discount from the local shop that sponsors them. Joining the club should be free and having them help you will assure you are treated as fairly as possible.

Advantages of buying new from a local shop:

1. All warranties from the manufacturer will be granted to you.

2. Most local shops have service deals that are included in the purchase price.

3. A good local shop will have a staff that will help you get a bike that is of the proper size, and will customize the set-up so that it fits your body well.

4. Shops often give discounts on accessories you will NEED, such as shoes, pedals, helmet, shorts, etc.

In your price range, the Specialized Allez is a bike I recommend without hesitation. The Trek 1.2 is also good for the price.

I agree, a good shop is invaluable. I was talking to a friend of mine who started his own shop. He said so many people are turned off cycling by a bad bike fit. They get a bike that is not fit to them correctly, it is ok for short jaunts but the minute they are in the saddle on a long ride or charity ride it becomes a terrible experience.
I have ridden giants for some time they make a good bike that used to be cheap the OCR, but i dont know how much it is anymore.
I know a good pro who last year was training on a cheap Park Pre all the time
I think the trade in route might be an excellent way to go.
then get a good saddle and shoes as someone else said
have fun
:D

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I'll put in another vote for paying a little more and buying through a local shop - so long as you feel comfortable they'll be there for you afterwards. No point if it's just some spiv who's after his sales cut.

Assuming it's a decent shop, the extra money you spend will be saved many times over through advice, adjustments, and ongoing care. Think of it as happiness insurance.

Also if you do use a local bike shop about this time of year + next couple of months they will be getting all their new stock in, so you may be able to pick up a cheaper previous year model that they are trying to move.

An added bonus with doing this is because of the global credit crunch newer models are coming out with lower specifications but with higher pricing so getting a previous year model may be better on the wallet and the longevity of the gear on the bike.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Agree with most of the comments, but let me note that you will not come close to finding a new bike with 105 level components at a shop. You can at bikesdirect.com, but retail is much, much higher.

I'd recommend trying to find a used bike at a shop, but I know it can be hard to find one. But you really do want at least 105 level (or equivalent Campy).

TRENDING THREADS