• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Losing weight during the season?

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Since last autumn I changed my diet and gain some weight in the off-season. The diet basicly consists of more protein and carbs. However I started at about 60kg and am now almost 70. (1.80 tall)
Most of the new weight is muscles, although I have to admit some of it is dead meat.
Is it now okay for me to take the intake of calories a step down get rid of all "unnecessary" weight before the serious racing starts, as it may primarily increase my vo2-max?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Depending on your racing goals generally VO2max is not the primary concern, power to weight, or power to CDA is. Loosing weight is "easy". Energy in v. energy out. So you can keep eating the same and up the exercise or drop a bit of eating and up the exercise etc.

For aerobic based exercise you can drop a lot of weight and not have it affect power, but best that this is done slowly and over a period of time.

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
Depending on your racing goals generally VO2max is not the primary concern, power to weight, or power to CDA is. Loosing weight is "easy". Energy in v. energy out. So you can keep eating the same and up the exercise or drop a bit of eating and up the exercise etc.

For aerobic based exercise you can drop a lot of weight and not have it affect power, but best that this is done slowly and over a period of time.

For me, eating normal is losing weight. I needed close to 4000kcal to increase my weight. I don't think exercising more is an option. I know from previous efforts what my limit is and do not want to go that path again.

So to make things clear: May I generally have a positive effect by losing weight or should I drop the idea and instead focus to convert the fat to muscles?

May 4, 2010
Visit site
re

Hello guys,
i just tell you that why you take nutrition supplements for your health.
it is beneficial for our health rather than any allopathic medicine.nutrition is not any medicine it is our food which we will not take because of our hectic and busy life we are not able to take care of our health and take care of our diet properly.that's why there is lack of problem and lack of injures in our body.so for proper diet and for proper health we should gave proper nutrition for our body.
While it is important to maintain a healthy weight, most people have trouble staying healthy on a weight-loss diet. Often, important nutrients such as iron, protein, and vitamins are left out along with other foods, making us more vulnerable to disease. To make up for lost nutrients, there are several nutritional diet vitamin supplements available.
weight-loss-tips.gif

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The cold weather may make you want to stay indoors and lounge around, but in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, you must remember to keep active. We gain the most weight when we are inactive. Stick to a regular schedule and try to work out at least three times a week. Working out will also help you keep your energy levels high.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Credive said:
For me, eating normal is losing weight. I needed close to 4000kcal to increase my weight. I don't think exercising more is an option. I know from previous efforts what my limit is and do not want to go that path again.

So to make things clear: May I generally have a positive effect by losing weight or should I drop the idea and instead focus to convert the fat to muscles?

It sounds like you are maxing out your exercise time and that you'll lose weight if you eat normally. Do I have that right?

If so, time in the saddle will burn the fat (see this week's CN Fitness Q&A section and also Matt Fitzgerald's book Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance for the type of training required to burn fat/lose weight) and both time in the saddle and normal eating (for you at least) will help you lose weight.

BTW You cannot convert fat to muscle. It doesn't happen that way. You lose fat through aerobic exercise, and you gain muscle through strength training. That's a very simplistic view and not entirely accurate (again read Matt Fitzgerald's book), but you get my gist. More muscle helps you lose weight because it takes more energy to maintain normal muscle metabolism than fat, but you cannot convert fat to muscle.

Anyway, you'll maintain or increase muscle mass with time in the saddle and you'll lose fat/weight with time in the saddle and normal eating. This will result in a better power-to-weight ratio (as Tapeworm has already discussed) and better in-season performance on the bike, as long as your weight loss is sensible and not too rapid to affect performance.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
RyanMoster said:
Some body has told me that by using grape fruit every morning with empty stomach is best for losing weight Is that true.
I don't know about an empty stomach but I've also heard or read that grapefruit is a good fat burner.
Mind you,eating healthy and regularly also helps.
4 to 5 small meals a day that include protein,simple carbs and complex carbs.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I also tend to gain a little weight in the winter as I ride less and I eat the same. I lose it pretty quickly once the weather warms up. I do try to lessen the carbs in the winter since I'm not biking and I don't need the energy.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Eating less calories than you use is best for losing weight. :)

Maintaining a good riding schedule with regular intervals will keep the metabolic rate active. Once you start racing and riding in warmer weather the weight should go to a level related to the intensity. You can watch your intake based on recovery from these efforts and not compensate too much one way or the other.
Unfortunately big guys find it harder than small guys to drop the pesky extra pounds; particularly added muscle.

TRENDING THREADS