• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lower & Upper Back Pain

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello!
Just wanted to throw out a problem I have been having.

Recently went for a 50km ride and I was hurting in my lower back and my upper back (in between the shoulders) by the end of it.
It was enough to cause me to get off the bike to stretch.

I am guessing its a bike fit issue, any comments/advice?

I am a fairly heavy rider and this was one of my first few rides of the season.

Also, could anyone recommend a good bike fitter in Calgary, Alberta? In case my bike fit is completely out of whack.

Thanks and cheers
TD

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Yep, a few issues there:

1st few rides are the toughest - getting used to a bent-over posi again can be hell

Fit and flexibility - +1 on this as a necessity, your fitter must address you on the bike and do a 'physical' on you so to speak. Don't live anywhere close so no recommendations from me.

Body fitness - you might take the time to include a few complementary activities to help with your issue: Pilates, yoga, core work in a gym will all help your stomach take the load it clearly can't do at the moment.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
deuxsharks said:
Hello!
Just wanted to throw out a problem I have been having.

Recently went for a 50km ride and I was hurting in my lower back and my upper back (in between the shoulders) by the end of it.
It was enough to cause me to get off the bike to stretch.

I am guessing its a bike fit issue, any comments/advice?

I am a fairly heavy rider and this was one of my first few rides of the season.

Also, could anyone recommend a good bike fitter in Calgary, Alberta? In case my bike fit is completely out of whack.

Thanks and cheers
TD

Try some stretching before you ride. Toe touches are great for the back. If you can't reach the ground just go as far as you can.

It might be a good idea to make more frequent shorter rides of about 32km until you start to feel comfortable. Try to do about 100 to 160 km a week in the shorter rides until you get comfortable.

TRENDING THREADS