• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Luis Leon Sanchez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What do folks think about him this year?

Same age as Contador, beat him in the argave TT, beat him at last years paris nice, Won the only tough stage at down under.

Any thoughts on finally making a run at a GT? Can he step up and challenge Valverde for leadership at Caisse...as a run on what do people expect from Caisse this year, two gun columbians, really looking forward to watching Uran.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
He doesn't have the stamina and recovery level necessary to be the GT contender, IMO. Will win one or two stages in the TDF but nothing more. Just like in previous years.

karlboss said:
What do folks think about him this year?

Same age as Contador, beat him in the argave TT, beat him at last years paris nice, Won the only tough stage at down under.

Any thoughts on finally making a run at a GT? Can he step up and challenge Valverde for leadership at Caisse...as a run on what do people expect from Caisse this year, two gun columbians, really looking forward to watching Uran.

I like him . . . a lot. That being said, he's tended not to "show up" in multi-week stage races. Like Algarve, he was there on Stage 3, but he wasn't (if that makes sense). I don't take much for the Algarve TT other than AC is a beast if he finishes 13 seconds back using a different bike than the one he had trained with for the past few months.

Frankly, I think he's like the Spanish version of Andreas Kloden. He's got the goods, but I haven't seen evidence that he's got the killer instinct to take a race by the bit and ride off with it. Doesn't mean that he doesn't have it, just that I haven't seen evidence of it.

Publicus said:
I like him . . . a lot. That being said, he's tended not to "show up" in multi-week stage races. Like Algarve, he was there on Stage 3, but he wasn't (if that makes sense). I don't take much for the Algarve TT other than AC is a beast if he finishes 13 seconds back using a different bike than the one he had trained with for the past few months.

Frankly, I think he's like the Spanish version of Andreas Kloden. He's got the goods, but I haven't seen evidence that he's got the killer instinct to take a race by the bit and ride off with it. Doesn't mean that he doesn't have it, just that I haven't seen evidence of it.

Seriously? To me, Luis Leon Sanchez is all about killer instinct. His three Paris-Nice stage wins, his Tour de France stage wins - just to mention the most obvious - are all superb examples of how to destroy your opponents. Give him a race with a tough climb, a downhill (and even a flat'ish finish) and I wouldn't bet against him. He's pretty fast, damn smart and technically brilliant. All killer.

Of course, you're right regarding the GT's - he hasn't really proved himself as a GC rider, and I'm not sure that's his game anyway. But that's certainly not because of a lack of killer instinct - he may even have too much of it to fit the GT bill, silly as it may sound. Too explosive to do his thing for three weeks, day in day out, and lacks the stability. The exact opposite of Andreas Klöden actually. He's a perfect fit for Paris-Nice like stage races and is probably better suited for the one-day classics than the GT's. Unfortunately, he hasn't really headed in that direction - yet.

Sanchez

Obviously has lots of potential. At this stage he does not seem to have set himself for a serious run at the GC on a grand tour. He actually reminds me of a younger version of the Sanchez from Euskadel who won the last Olympic road race. Whether it's a confidence thing or he is being influenced by his coaches and managers. Not sure. You would think he should show more improvement his year as he has a few seasons under his belt now.

Seems to go missing on the big climbs but he may be riding to team instructions. I am sure Valverde would like him by his side in the Alps or Pyrenees and he is one of the best descenders and does not mind taking risks. Not everyone has the stamina and self belief to back up every day for 3weeks and finish with the elite riders but I would like to see him try. Some of his stage wins have been outstanding.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
He's a very exciting rider who's still improving. I see his biggest challenges coming from Vienna and other legitimate threats to put this Liberty Seguros alum in the Clinic. Hopefully it won't happen; I want to keep seeing some aggressive downhill attacking on major alpine stages.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Obviously has lots of potential. At this stage he does not seem to have set himself for a serious run at the GC on a grand tour. He actually reminds me of a younger version of the Sanchez from Euskadel who won the last Olympic road race. Whether it's a confidence thing or he is being influenced by his coaches and managers. Not sure. You would think he should show more improvement his year as he has a few seasons under his belt now.

Seems to go missing on the big climbs but he may be riding to team instructions. I am sure Valverde would like him by his side in the Alps or Pyrenees and he is one of the best descenders and does not mind taking risks. Not everyone has the stamina and self belief to back up every day for 3weeks and finish with the elite riders but I would like to see him try. Some of his stage wins have been outstanding.

He already tried last year, actually. He quit after failling massively on the very first stage that mattered.

He just can't climb anywhere near as well as a GT contender should

ergmonkey said:
He's a very exciting rider who's still improving. I see his biggest challenges coming from Vienna and other legitimate threats to put this Liberty Seguros alum in the Clinic. Hopefully it won't happen; I want to keep seeing some aggressive downhill attacking on major alpine stages.

He's a Dr. Losa challenge himself.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Pub comparing him to Kloeden. I also just don't see him there 3 weeks into a race. He has the goods in smaller stage races though.

Is he going to Cali? He is someone I could see posing a threat.

Luis León Sánchez next races will be
28-02 Clasica de Almeria
07-03 14-03 Paris - Nice
22-03 28-03 Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
03-04 GP Miguel Indurain
11-04 Klasika Primavera
18-04 Amstel Gold Race
21-04 La Flèche Wallonne
25-04 Liège - Bastogne - Liège

I agree with Issoisso. Sanchez is a third tier level climber. He has rarely if ever been able to stay with the elite when the going gets hot. Tactically he's one of the best in the business. He has the smarts but he just doesn't have the ability to climb with the best. He can hold his own in a week long stage race but in the grand tours he's out of his element. He is one of the most astute stage chasers though.

As far as I can remember, he's never stated any ambitions of eminent success going into any of the grand tours. He may have stated that in the future he may hope to develop into a contender for the gc at a grand tour but I believe he is quite realistic about where he is, at this point in his career, best suited for success.

Weight loss may be what's holding him back from climbing with the best in a grand tour (as someone stated earlier).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I agree with Issoisso. Sanchez is a third tier level climber. He has rarely if ever been able to stay with the elite when the going gets hot. Tactically he's one of the best in the business. He has the smarts but he just doesn't have the ability to climb with the best. He can hold his own in a week long stage race but in the grand tours he's out of his element. He is one of the most astute stage chasers though.

As far as I can remember, he's never stated any ambitions of eminent success going into any of the grand tours. He may have stated that in the future he may hope to develop into a contender for the gc at a grand tour but I believe he is quite realistic about where he is, at this point in his career, best suited for success.

Weight loss may be what's holding him back from climbing with the best in a grand tour (as someone stated earlier).

Sammy Sanchez is a third tier climber, and Luis Leon is too, at this point, but more potential. Dont ask Gallic's opinion on Sammy tho. I will give him he has a kick like a mule, like Valverde.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
Should focus on the classics and 1 week stage races. He could win world's one day.

I hope he does not fall into the tired cliche of "Spanish GT contender".

+1. If you can't climb and recover like a GC rider you go with your strengths; rather than dilute them trying for a GT.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Sammy Sanchez is a third tier climber, and Luis Leon is too, at this point, but more potential. Dont ask Gallic's opinion on Sammy tho. I will give him he has a kick like a mule, like Valverde.

Did you seriously just compare Samuel to Luisle as a climber? That's comparing Mosquera to Tonti...

blackcat said:

I would put Sammy above Luis Leon in the climbing battle of the Sanchez's. Sanchez has at least podiumed twice at a grand tour. Luis Leon hasn't but of course he's years younger. Sammy does have a decent kick though and has figured in the top ten of the Ardennes classics where Luis Leon, if my memory serves me correctly, hasn't as of yet.

I started the same thread a month ago after his win in australia :rolleyes:

I see there are others with same interest.

LLS is pretty incredible and this year is his year, someone said is same age as contador but he is one year younger. LLS in a team such SKY would be for the cobbles. Anyway together with kreuziger and EBH I see him as the ones with bigger engine.

This year is his year: he will be among the top 5 cyclist of the year. Believe me.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
After last year I was tipping a big year for him this year. I'm just wondering if he is in good form he may be given leadership in the giro. bruseghin might have something to say about it. The point on killer instinct may be something, having a little too much and blowing up on other days instead of conserving. It took valverde a little while to work it out as well.
The team looks awesome in my opinion, and I look forward to seeing what they can do.

I was impressed in oz, but beating Contador in a TT counts for a little more.

TRENDING THREADS