• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Malaysian Flight 370?

What happened to Malaysian Flight MH370?

• Wormhole

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
history-channel-hd-aliens-thumb.jpg

ebandit said:
play along? I don't think so

please respect likely dead / grieving relatives

thanks!
Mark L

I doubt the relatives will be checking cyclingnews. It's only desrespectful if it's our intention to be so. And it's not.

Most likely it was a mechaninc/flight instruments failure that caused a crash.

Well, he's right. The web is like that.

None the less, no disrespect was intended which I would think would be apparent. Though admittedly posted with a touch of the vein of gallows humor aimed at the way the media feeding frenzy keeps jumping on stories, true or not.

Fascinating story, one must say. It's looking more and more like the plane was deliberately hijacked in one way or another. And since nothing dramatic happened when it came back to earth (like, crashing into a building), this actually gives some slim hope - even if no one wants to really say it - that the passengers are still alive somewhere. Like the plane landed somewhere like Kyrgyzstan, was tucked into an old Soviet hanger, and...

The whole thing is starting to seem a little James Bond.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Fascinating story, one must say. It's looking more and more like the plane was deliberately hijacked in one way or another. And since nothing dramatic happened when it came back to earth (like, crashing into a building), this actually gives some slim hope - even if no one wants to really say it - that the passengers are still alive somewhere. Like the plane landed somewhere like Kyrgyzstan, was tucked into an old Soviet hanger, and...

I hope this is similar to what happened..
would be amazing if all the passengers were ok..

crazy stuff

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Ebandit has raised an issue of decorum in regards to how the web, in its infinite democracy, can also lead to a salon like morbidity.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, he's right. The web is like that.

None the less, no disrespect was intended which I would think would be apparent. Though admittedly posted with a touch of the vein of gallows humor aimed at the way the media feeding frenzy keeps jumping on stories, true or not.

Concur. And, unlike the Boston bomber thread, way back when, we are not getting disrespectfully off track in this thread. Yet.

Alpe d'Huez said:

Off somewhere in an old hangar would be nice, but I think it is wishful at best. There is more than enough geography out there to swallow that plane - without a trace. Even a catastrophic landing on solid earth might go unfound. Amof, in this case, a catastrophic landing at sea might leave more evidence. Although each passing hour takes away a little evidence.

I will bet that this event will change the way international flights are managed - on several levels. Passenger screening is one - checking that international stolen passport list. Aircraft inflight communication is another. I would not doubt that this event will spark a redesign of the black box.

This has been mentioned in aviation before - post 9/11, that there could be pertinent data (even a live audio or video stream) continually sent via satellite back to headquarters somewhere. The technology exists for it, it's just a matter of getting said parties to agree, how and when they will implement it, and who is going to pay for it.

I agree it's extremely slim that everyone is safe in some hanger somewhere, as if they were waiting for James Bond or Chuck Norris to rescue them. It does look more and more like something similar to Egypt Air 990, only this time whoever was at the controls made much more certain the flight disappeared into the great blue ocean where it was unlikely to be found. Or a struggle of some sort resulted in a similar action, not too different from United 90.

Alpe d'Huez said:
If that's so, what about the passengers? It would take the darkest of minds to line up 200+ innocent and terrified people, look them in the eye, and execute them.

Darkest it would be, but that's not out of the realm of possibilities for terrorists IMO. They would have to kill them all to keep the secret until the job was done.:(

Not sure of what use that plane would be now even if it is not at the bottom of the ocean when everyone seems to be looking for it.

I think the uncertainty over the cause of the disappearance may be more important than an extremely remote chance that this plane can be used for a suicide attack.

It's very surprising that there is still no trace, considering that authorities now suspect that the plane was flown at low level after breaking all comms contact.

The plane was already in the air for several hours and the fuel efficiency at low level in a Boeing jet will be horrendous, there's no way it could have gone far. You also need to consider that this is a large passenger jet, not a C-130 or AP3-C that is designed to be flown at low level - controlling it at a level too low for Primary (Passive) radar would be very difficult and surely someone would have noticed something unusual on the ground.

It will be interesting to see what comes up when those audio recordings with Air Traffic Control are released but that could be quite a while considering the profile of the investigation. I would vote for a combo of 4 and 6 :(

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
CNN's Headline News channel actually had a psychic on to tell the world what happened to the plane. Yes, really.

Williams said that her powers are telling her that some of the passengers are still alive and are being held in an undisclosed location. She added that she knew this because she was attempting to contact MH370′s lost passengers for their living relatives.

This was on a supposed "news" channel. How much more ridiculous and irresponsible can you be?

TRENDING THREADS