• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mallorca Challenge 26th - 30th of january 2022

So there it is:

The first international race with world tour teams at the start in 2022.

There are five one-day races with pretty interesting profiles.

Only the last one could be one for the sprinters and even for this one they have to fight.

Trofeo Calvia:

Wednesday 26 January 2022 - 154,7 Km.

PERFIL-CALVIA%CC%80.jpeg

Trofeo Alcudia - Port D' Alcudia:

Thursday, 27 January 2022 - 173.2 Km

Perfil-Alcudia.jpeg

TrofeoSerra de Tramuntana:

Friday, 28 January 2022 - 158.9 km

PERFIL-SERRA-TRAMUNTANA.jpeg

Trofeo Pollença - Port d' Andratx:

Saturday, 29 January 2022 - 170.1 Km

PERFIL-POLLENC%CC%A7A-ANDRATX.jpeg

Trofeo Playa de Palma – Palma

Sunday 30 January 2022 - 169.1 km

PERFIL-PALMA.jpeg

Last edited:
Trofeo Calvià
The final 100 kilometres of this one look to be identical to last year's race, won by Ryan Gibbons in a sprint-à-deux with Anthony Delaplace ahead of a 30-rider peloton.

Es Capdella
es-capdella-peguera.png

Coll des Tords
TordsW.gif

Coll des Grau
GrauW.gif

Coll den Claret (final 5k only)
ClaretSW.gif

Coll de Sóller
SollerS.gif

Coll den Bleda + Coll Sa Padrissa
CanCostaN.gif

Coll den Claret (final 4.5k only)
ClaretE.gif

Torre del Verger
torre-del-verger-banyalbufar.png

Coll de sa Gramola
GramolaN.gif

Coll de n'Esteve (final climb; I'm 95% certain the profile is wrong here as the accompanying map shows them going up a steep, narrow road that was unpaved last time the Streetview car was in the area and this wouldn't fit with the roadbook either. If not, the route to Coll de sa Coma is the profile in this link.)
EsteveW.gif

They then head back through Calvià, down the wide Coll des Cocons; the descent ends 1200 metres before the finish in Palmanova.

Trofeo Port d'Alcúdia - Port d'Alcúdia
A vastly different route to last year's flat race won by André Greipel, but also clearly easier than the previous time the Challenge Mallorca had a finish here in 2014, when Gianni Meersman won a sprint of a dozen riders after four significant climbs.

Coll d'Artà: 6.1k at 1.6%

Coll Sa Batalla
Batalla2S.gif

Coll Femenia
coll-de-femenia-pixarells.png

The descent looks like this, from the point where it turns to false flat there are 22 kilometres left to race.

Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana
After years, the finish is not in Deià, but in Lloseta. Lloseta did host the finish of the Trofeo Andratx - Lloseta in 2019, won by Emanuel Buchmann, which had the same side of Puig Major as the main climb. However, that year the summit was 70 mostly flat kilometres from the finish line, this time there's only 33 kilometres left to race, so we have a legitimate descent finish on our hands this time.

Coll Femenia
FemeniaE.gif

Coll de Tofla
ToflaE.gif

Coll Orient + Coll d'Honor
HonorE.gif

Coll de Sóller
SollerS.gif

Coll Puig Major
puigmajor02.gif

Descent (first 27k only)

Last edited:
Trofeo Pollença - Port d'Andratx
Same route as in 2020, which ended in a victory for Marc Soler with only Gregor Mühlberger finishing within a minute.

Coll Femenia + Coll Puig Major
PuigMajorE.gif

The section after this is identical to most of the finale of Trofeo Calvià:
Coll den Bleda + Coll Sa Padrissa
CanCostaN.gif

Coll den Claret (final 4.5k only)
ClaretE.gif

Torre del Verger
torre-del-verger-banyalbufar.png

Coll de sa Gramola
GramolaN.gif

Coll de n'Esteve (I'm 95% certain the profile is wrong here as the accompanying map shows them going up a steep, narrow road that was unpaved last time the Streetview car was in the area and this wouldn't fit with the roadbook either. If not, the route to Coll de sa Coma is the profile in this link.)
EsteveW.gif

Collet de Cala Blanca
collet-de-cala-blanca-camp-de-mar.png

Monport (finish)
monport-port-d-andratx.png

Trofeo Playa de Palma - Palma
Back after a year's absence. The previous two winners are Matteo Moschetti and Marcel Kittel (his final victory), which tells you all you need to know about the difficulty of the climb.

Portol
PortolS.gif

Coll de Sa Creu - consists of the profile below...
TordsE.gif

...followed by 400 metres of descending at 5%, then the final 2.5k of the profile below.
Vent2W.gif

After the descent, we have the usual lap up and down the boulevard along the coast. This means there's a 180-degree turn at 2.4k to go as the last pinch point before the finish line.

Last edited:
Ha, my bad. I thought it was Eg (I forgot he for a moment that he is no longer at Trek), and that his name was Eg (Holm), but that Trek wrote his name as Egholm.

No, I have no idea who he is.

Makes sense then.

Egholm's the former world junior RR champion from Doha, but he hasn't really found his feet as a pro yet. He was on his way out of the team after last season, but then, perhaps because of the abrupt farewell to Antonio Nibali, he got to stay another year.
He's a very good friend of Mads Pedersen, which probably hasn't been a disadvantage for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I read it fine. Then again, I don't have very old eyes.

In my defense; my eyes have pretty much been *** since I was, like, nine!

Ha, my bad. I thought it was Eg (I forgot he for a moment that he is no longer at Trek), and that his name was Eg (Holm), but that Trek wrote his name as Egholm.

If that was the case, no wonder they'd want to use the long version of his name. Having "Eg" and "Aberasturi" take up the same amount of space would look really bad.

TRENDING THREADS