• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Manolo Saiz is coming ....

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Reincarnation

only 1 condition

Alberto Contador in 2011 is all of a sudden widely expected to defend the colors of the formation of Bjarne Riis, Sungard-Specialized ... but there is a great if ... Riis has to retire a little!!

godfather
Since his career, the triple winner of the Tour de France will be confirmed 'only' if the team will be managed by Manolo Saiz in co. with Bjarne Riis.

Yvon Sanquer allegedly confessed to his part that he not directed Alberto Contador but that it was Manolo Siaz during this TdF.

Source: AS

Well is he ?

3 grand tours in one season ... HHmmmm let me guess ?

Riis the TdF / Mano the Giro-Vuelta

And again (Würt) it's a German company (Sungard = Siemens) so is this to expect 2011
300px-050512manolo2m.jpg

AC declared in 2006 after Mano got arrested on May, 23: According to the then-Astana rider Alberto Contador, he was responsible for the medical care of the riders.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Today Riis was asked this if Chicken is to return to his new team Saxo-junkgard, and he said he did not exclude, especially since he is now free and Rasmussen has a sponsor who wants to pay his salary next year. So it seems very much that we will see chicken back in front at a this big PT team along AC and directed by oohhh my god no no no this isn't happening ... can anybody tell me it's a dream ?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i wonder if Saiz had a hand via email or phone in Contador's win in the TdF last year? Nightly and morning sessions with advice, tactics etc...

Interesting question. I've wondered the same thing. Saiz is Contador's mentor. If I had to guess, I'd guess he still has a direct hand in Contador's racing . . . .

DAOTEC said:
Today Riis was asked this if Chicken is to return to his new team Saxo-junkgard, and he said he did not exclude, especially since he is now free and Rasmussen has a sponsor who wants to pay his salary next year. So it seems very much that we will see chicken back in front at a this big PT team along AC and directed by oohhh my god no no no this isn't happening ... can anybody tell me it's a dream ?

Rasmussen is radioactive. If Riis has the temerity to bring him into Saxo Bank, they will all get busted. That's what I think, anyway. There are some people you just can't have around. Rasmussen is one of them. And besides, he is the antithesis of Riis's much vaunted espirit de corps.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Interesting question. I've wondered the same thing. Saiz is Contador's mentor. If I had to guess, I'd guess he still has a direct hand in Contador's racing . . . .

I can't see how someone can manage him without being at the race. How is Saiz supposed to tell AC what is going on during the race, whether to attack or do a track stand etc ?

They may have spoken about a few stages, even during the tour, but I doubt it had any effect on the result

sherer said:
I can't see how someone can manage him without being at the race. How is Saiz supposed to tell AC what is going on during the race, whether to attack or do a track stand etc ?

They may have spoken about a few stages, even during the tour, but I doubt it had any effect on the result

Not all those motorhomes that follow the TDF contain drunken Dutch fans. Some of them house Ferraris, so why not a Saiz.

Apparently OP hardly put a dent in Fuentes' business, these guys are like cockroaches.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone already heard something if this rumour of Saiz at SBS will come true? If it is, this would likely come out in the next few weeks, right? So some more rumours should start to come out quickly, or have already come out. So has anyone read or heard anything?

Barrus said:
Has anyone already heard something if this rumour of Saiz at SBS will come true? If it is, this would likely come out in the next few weeks, right? So some more rumours should start to come out quickly, or have already come out. So has anyone read or heard anything?
Is this really a rumour or just something DAOTEC felt like starting a thread about?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
If I had to guess, I'd guess he still has a direct hand in Contador's racing . . . .

sherer said:

frenchfry said:
Not all those motorhomes that follow the TDF contain drunken Dutch fans. Some of them house Ferraris, so why not a Saiz.

Apparently OP hardly put a dent in Fuentes' business, these guys are like cockroaches.

I have to say, I hadn't really thought about Saiz actually directing Contador in a race. But now that you mention it, I can picture Saiz, the virtual directeur sportif, unshaven and sweating profusely, sitting inside one of those motorhomes and wearing a wireless headset, giving orders to Contador. "Trackstand, Pistolero, trackstand! Do not let him get behind you before the run in to the finish!"

Fun to imagine, but I very much doubt it happens. When I said that he might still have a direct hand in Contador's racing, I meant with strategy, not tactics on the road.

So last year, for instance, when Contador was in the clutches of Bruyneel and Armstrong, I think it's reasonable to assume that he turned to Saiz on a regular basis for advice. And likewise this year. Such advice might include things like training and <cough> medical preparation <cough>.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
So last year, for instance, when Contador was in the clutches of Bruyneel and Armstrong, I think it's reasonable to assume that he turned to Saiz on a regular basis for advice. And likewise this year. Such advice might include things like training and <cough> medical preparation <cough>.

It's also entirely reasonable to assume that on nights when the moon was full, Contador would have seances and speak directly to the spirit of Fausto Coppi for climbing advice.

I mean, if you're going to speculate about things that might have happened, without any evidence at all, why not at least have interesting fantasies?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Wallace said:
It's also entirely reasonable to assume that on nights when the moon was full, Contador would have seances and speak directly to the spirit of Fausto Coppi for climbing advice.

I mean, if you're going to speculate about things that might have happened, without any evidence at all, why not at least have interesting fantasies?

Slow news day, Wallace? Contador and Saiz go back a long way. El Pistolero was first spotted by Saiz when the former was fifteen years old. When Contador was sixteen he dropped out of school to ride for Saiz's youth team. After six years there, he joined ONCE, Saiz's professional team. A year later he had his brain problem, and for awhile it wasn't known whether he would live, much less ride again.

From an article at cyclingfans.com:

"Said Contador of Saiz’s behavior during his illness, 'the accident made us much closer. My parents knew Manolo by what they read in the press, where sometimes he doesn’t have good critics. They found someone who was always there for their son, not knowing even if he could still race.'

'My parents were amazed. In a world where money prevails, Manolo did his utmost for me and my family. We will be grateful to him forever.'"

Contador came back the next year and rode for Saiz. And there he stayed, until his mentor was basically driven out of cycling, along with his team, because of Operation Puerto. Contador's next stop was the Discovery Team under Johann Bruyneel, who happened to himself have been developed by Saiz (though not nearly so close to Saiz as Contador, nor so talented).

So until this year, Saiz is the only directeur sportif Contador has ever known - other than Bruyneel. Not only that, though, he is also discoverer and developer of Contador, and the man who has always stood beside him. In light of this, doesn't it seem logical that Contador would turn to this cycling father figure when Bruyneel and Armstrong were trying to screw him last year? Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:

So until this year, Saiz is the only directeur sportif Contador has ever known - other than Bruyneel. Not only that, though, he is also discoverer and developer of Contador, and the man who has always stood beside him. In light of this, doesn't it seem logical that Contador would turn to this cycling father figure when Bruyneel and Armstrong were trying to screw him last year? Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

if people can not understand in the modern world that plenty of sports people on teams also employ their own trainers, coaches and doctors then they had better stop reading the tabloids and expand their information intake.

Does Cadel Evans and Basso not have Aldo Sassi as a trainer/coach/doctor of sorts? why not Contador still using Saiz?

I imagine that Saiz was very close to Contador TdF 2009, if not in France, then in daily contact. Who else was gonna direct him onto the podium? Hog was trying to use Contador against the Schlecks so Uniballer could win. So it was obvious for Contador to do his own thing and have Saiz there for him.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Contador is trained by Pepe Marti. This year Marti also did training plans for the young Kazakh riders at Astana. He's leaving Astana after this year to continue training Contador, but might not be part of Saxo Bank Sungard.

http://www.superdeporte.es/polideportivo/2010/08/20/contador-lleva-saxo-bank-valenciano/103467.html

If Saiz was involved in some sort of position helping with "strategy" I doubt that he'd be in the press today calling Contador lazy for ending his season after 48 days of racing.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
if people can not understand in the modern world that plenty of sports people on teams also employ their own trainers, coaches and doctors then they had better stop reading the tabloids and expand their information intake.

Does Cadel Evans and Basso not have Aldo Sassi as a trainer/coach/doctor of sorts? why not Contador still using Saiz?

I imagine that Saiz was very close to Contador TdF 2009, if not in France, then in daily contact. Who else was gonna direct him onto the podium? Hog was trying to use Contador against the Schlecks so Uniballer could win. So it was obvious for Contador to do his own thing and have Saiz there for him.

+1. Exactly. And more to the point, cyclists often turn to more than one coach or mentor. Why wouldn't they?

theswordsman said:
Contador is trained by Pepe Marti. This year Marti also did training plans for the young Kazakh riders at Astana. He's leaving Astana after this year to continue training Contador, but might not be part of Saxo Bank Sungard.

http://www.superdeporte.es/polideportivo/2010/08/20/contador-lleva-saxo-bank-valenciano/103467.html

If Saiz was involved in some sort of position helping with "strategy" I doubt that he'd be in the press today calling Contador lazy for ending his season after 48 days of racing.

Oh, I don't know about that. Directeurs often criticize their own riders to the press. It seems kind of unseemly but they do it. In this case, the relationship, if there is one, is supposed to be under wraps because Saiz is (still) persona non grata in pro cycling. The thing is, there has always been an exceptionally close relationship between him and Contador - why would that have changed?

Anyway, according to this article Saiz is definitely planning to return to the sport (assuming he ever really left). I like his idea of developing a team out of Asia. That seems like a no-brainer to me, and would certainly be a welcome breakthrough in the still too white-centric peloton.

I thought his comments regarding Contador vis a vis Armstrong were actually pretty funny. From the article:

"When asked about his former charge Alberto Contador, Saiz bemoaned the brevity of his season. 'It’s not good to finish the season with just 48 days of competition,' he said. 'I’ll say one thing and I hope it doesn’t bother anyone, but Contador has learned the bad things from Armstrong as opposed to the good. Armstrong did some very good things, but Alberto has failed to grasp them and that’s not good for him or for cycling.'"

Question is, what "good things" that Armstrong did is he referring to?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

'If Saiz was', well maybe he was and now Bjarne Riis has someone better so Contador has reduced Saiz's input and now he has a little hissy fit. But he is hardly putting him down, he seems to be saying something about riding a whole season, and that might be in line with Aldo Sassi saying riders that dont ride all season and only a GT are more likely to be doping, so Saiz might be saying that Contador needs now to not follow the LA program of riding just 1 major tour and using other races as training for them but rather racing for more of a season. But i reckon other's will be better able to read in between the lines of what Saiz really meant in his comments.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
So it was obvious for Contador to do his own thing and have Saiz there for him.

Really??

I didn't hear any venga-venga-venga shouts in 2009, or this year for that matter, did you?

Get real.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Really??

I didn't hear any venga-venga-venga shouts in 2009, or this year for that matter, did you?

Get real.

Man, that's a compelling argument if I ever saw one. Very real. You win, I'm convinced.

A

Anonymous

wrong hombre

peloton said:
Really??

Get real.

If I recall correctly, Vincente Belda was the "Venga Venga" man. He was the doping dir of Kelme, also busted with Saiz, the doping dir of Astana / Liberty Seguros / Once in the Spanish doping syndicate of Fuentes and Co. Spanish doping? Isn't that redundant?

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
Manolo Saiz has released today two cryptic messages on his twitter:

"Rafa, os ha dicho algo interesante El ONCE del ONCE del 2000-ONCE TRAERÁ COLA"

y

"FELIZ 200-ONCE, estoy aquí a petición de mis ciclistas. En mi retorno prometo ser como soy, fiel a mis pensamientos, guste a quien guste.

"HAPPY 200-ONCE"
Lib_Roadman2_Oct05_2.JPG

[http://twitter.com/manolo_saiz]

Related: [http://velonews.competitor.com/manolo-saiz-plots-comeback-by-2012]

I'll bet they weren't cryptic to the guys in the photo.

TRENDING THREADS