• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Many will go down now

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-2008-giro-samples-re-tested-for-cera
talian police in possession of samples

Samples from the 2008 Giro d'Italia were due to be retested for the blood booster CERA after the subsequent high-profile doping positives of several top riders who participated in the event. Yet there has been no news on the retests since the Italian police seized the urine samples this May. Now the UCI has indicated that if those authorities don’t retest the samples, it will try to do so.

"The Italian police have the samples. We tried to get them but can’t do so," said UCI President Pat McQuaid on Wednesday. "We would be interested in testing them but haven’t been able to access them. If we get them back, we will carry out the examinations."

The 2008 Giro d’Italia took place several weeks before that year’s Tour was plunged into controversy, when riders such as Riccardo Riccò, Stefan Schumacher, Leonard Piepoli and Bernhard Kohl competed with the assistance of CERA and ultimately tested positive.

At the time it was claimed that CERA was new to the peloton but, as Cyclingnews reported last December, the product was most likely in use long before that. It was approved for public use in July 2007 and was said by Spanish media to have been seized during the Operación Puerto raids over a year earlier.

Riccò finished the Giro d'Italia in second place behind Spaniard Alberto Contador in May, 2008, then two months later tested positive for CERA. He claimed to have only used it in preparation for the Tour de France, but many have questioned the claims that he and Emanuele Sella competed clean in that Tour of Italy. Sella won three stages and the mountains classification, but then tested positive for CERA in July 2008.

In October of last year McQuaid played down thoughts of re-examining the Giro samples.

Stating that he was not opposed to retroactive testing, he said that there needed to be grounds to believe riders had been doping before re-examinations would be done.

"What I was asked is if the UCI are now going to test all of the samples of the Vuelta, all of the samples of the Giro, and all the samples of the 2007 Tour de France, because the AFLD retroactively tested samples from this year and found CERA there?" he said. "My answer was no to that.

"In principle, the UCI supports the idea of retroactive testing, and we always have done that. But it has got to be based on good information, either on suspicion in terms of [sudden] excellent performances, on information that would, for example, come from the biological passport, or information that will come from people in the field in relation to a particular individual."

I think Ricco, Sella, Contador, and some others will be caught now

Who do you think will be caught????

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I see this turning into a big political ****ing match much like OP did.

There are some riders definately shi*ting their pants at this news though.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
My feeling is, the Italian police seized the stuff before they realized how expensive the testing really is... They don't have the money to do it right now.

The UCI? The cynic in me suspects they want nothing more than to get their dirty corrupt claws on those samples to make sure no one who pays their 'protection' money tests positive.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The UCI? The cynic in me suspects they want nothing more than to get their dirty corrupt claws on those samples to make sure no one who pays their 'protection' money tests positive.

Digger said:
My feelings exactly...
Me three... The police took them to make sure they were not DUMPED down the toilet!

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
THE ITALIAN POLICE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO POLICE OUR SPORT.

the cheats are riders to be regulated by our own system.
pity the system stands like a bag of ice in pat mc quaids oven on christmas day

This looks purely like a public relations move. The UCI has been taking fire for refusing to test the old samples for CERA, so they made an announcement that they want the opportunity to do so. But instead of testing all the samples and letting the chips fall where they may, they want to only test the samples of the riders they deem "suspicious." The big fish get to use doctors to smooth out their bio-passports, so they do not look suspicious, while the small fish (or the stupid ones) end up as targets for the UCI.

Another use will be to save money for the UCI and the national federations. The UCI was upset with how much the Hamilton case cost them. They put a lot of the financial cost of the FLandis cost on the U.S. instead of shouldering it themselves. Now they will be able to buttress their cases by retrospectively testing the samples of riders who fall afoul of the testing process, putting the rider in a position of not only defending against a current infraction but also a past one. Most riders will roll over and not contest the results.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
when i read that thing it feels like mcquaid doesn't even wholeheartedly try to hide the fact that what they really want is to control that the tests can't be retested by people they don't control :(

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
This is the money quote.

"In principle, the UCI supports the idea of retroactive testing, and we always have done that. But it has got to be based on good information, either on suspicion in terms of [sudden] excellent performances, on information that would, for example, come from the biological passport, or information that will come from people in the field in relation to a particular individual."

Why make a statement like that? When the samples were originally taken they were tested for everything they could at the time. That's why they took the samples. If they had the CERA test then they would have been tested for it. I don't understand the qualification now. This quote smacks of McQuaid trying to protect somebody who, according to him, shouldn't be suspected.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
IMO, I would prefer the Italian authorities just get the testing going. I just don't trust the UCI on this stuff. I think with all we hear about them, they suffer from significant corruption, incredible incompetence, or both!

Let’s see a show of hands of anyone who would be truly surprised if the UCI did the re-testing and there were a) no positives, or b) only Ricco was positive! I am interested in the fireworks to begin with CONI.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
This is the money quote.

Why make a statement like that? When the samples were originally taken they were tested for everything they could at the time. That's why they took the samples. If they had the CERA test then they would have been tested for it. I don't understand the qualification now. This quote smacks of McQuaid trying to protect somebody who, according to him, shouldn't be suspected.

I agree. Which begs the question: who does he want to protect?

My money is on Contador. (Technically, it's Bruyneel's money).

A

Anonymous

Cobblestones said:
I agree. Which begs the question: who does he want to protect?

My money is on Contador. (Technically, it's Bruyneel's money).

After what happened between he and Armstrong during the Tour, I would bet he isn't protected anymore.

Don't be surprised if he is busted.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It's great that the Italian police have no conflict of interest in whether all or none of the samples are positive. No doubt there'll be countless riders sh*tting their pants!!!

Epicycle said:
This is the money quote.

+1

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that.

It make no sense, unless he's trying to cover up doping.

Deagol said:
+1.
Even with the in-fighting with LA, I'm guessing AC is somehow "protected".
:confused:

You know, if this "protected" theory is correct, the riders that are still getting busted must know it and are fuming. Why is nobody talking about.

I'm skeptical about the "protection" theory. I think the UCI tries to protect just about everyone, and mostly randomly picks a sacrificial lamb here and there.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
you don't think italian police have an axe to grind or an agenda?:cool:

Who are the Italians going to hang out to dry if they turn over the evidence?

Pellizotti? Simoni? Nibali? Bettini? All popular guys in the top 20 of the Giro...a bunch of other Italians in there too...Ricco and Sella are likely hosed in that.

Contador and Menchov are the only non-Italian big names in the top 10...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
mistahsinclair said:
Who are the Italians going to hang out to dry if they turn over the evidence?

Pellizotti? Simoni? Nibali? Bettini? All popular guys in the top 20 of the Giro...a bunch of other Italians in there too...Ricco and Sella are likely hosed in that.

Contador and Menchov are the only non-Italian big names in the top 10...

The french police pulled down Festina/Cofidis, so it's to early to say that the Italians will cover up as the Spaniards did with Puerto. Considering the rings getting busted I have some hope they will do the right thing.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Very Surprised about Menchov

DenisMenchov said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-2008-giro-samples-re-tested-for-cera

I think Ricco, Sella, Contador, and some others will be caught now

Who do you think will be caught????

How the hell does Menchov not get caught?? :confused:
Methinks the protection racket favours him. Not good for the outright winner to tarnish a Grand Tour.
Diluca is not a bad rider, and his CERA program made him very dangerous!
So how the heck does Menchov win and escape the doping Police??
Clearly a couple of scenarios are playing out here.
Either Menchov has a top notch program in place, OR he is super human in his efforts to fend off a jacked Killer Diluca.
I watched the Giro in it's entirety, and it put this year's tour to shame.
The way Menchov neutralized The Killer's every attack left me wondering how long before Denis asks for his B sample retest....
But alas, it never happened, and it's crystal clear that it won't happen.
Is Menchov a super human Giro rider who goes flaccid at the Tour??
OR
IS Menchov with the Program??

No doubts heads will roll if the retests ever get done...but look for the places 2nd and below to light the marquee signs!!! :D

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mont Ventoux said:
OR

Or door number three?

Menchov and others perhaps use another doping regime which is so far undetectable, contrary to the Cera cycle.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Mont Ventoux said:
How the hell does Menchov not get caught?? :confused:
Methinks the protection racket favours him. Not good for the outright winner to tarnish a Grand Tour.
Diluca is not a bad rider, and his CERA program made him very dangerous!
So how the heck does Menchov win and escape the doping Police??
Clearly a couple of scenarios are playing out here.
Either Menchov has a top notch program in place, OR he is super human in his efforts to fend off a jacked Killer Diluca.
I watched the Giro in it's entirety, and it put this year's tour to shame.
The way Menchov neutralized The Killer's every attack left me wondering how long before Denis asks for his B sample retest....
But alas, it never happened, and it's crystal clear that it won't happen.
OR
No doubts heads will roll if the retests ever get done...but look for the places 2nd and below to light the marquee signs!!! :D

I think your getting the 2009 Giro confused with the 2008 Giro? Its the 2008 Giro samples that are to be restested, if at all.

TRENDING THREADS