• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

map my ride much worse then advertised

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
have recently begun using map my ride, but tonite was the final straw. After spending a frustrating hour of painstakingly mapping out over 60 miles of todays ride the dam thing had to stop running script and then finally froze. Elevations are not even close to being correct, often varying by 5-7 % grad depending on how it is feeling...anybody having any luck with this peice of ****???

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
splintersp3 said:
have recently begun using map my ride, but tonite was the final straw. After spending a frustrating hour of painstakingly mapping out over 60 miles of todays ride the dam thing had to stop running script and then finally froze. Elevations are not even close to being correct, often varying by 5-7 % grad depending on how it is feeling...anybody having any luck with this peice of ****???

Waste of time IMO. Have not been impressed.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Forget Bikely for creating routes, GPSies is where it's at..

If you're creating your own routes, then I'd suggest having a look at GPSies.com. Way better than Bikely, particuarly as it has an undo function which means if you mess up on a click or two you can just as quickly go back. Unlike Bikely which frustrated me no end and also did it's fair share of freezing up on me.

GPSies is (i think) a German site with loads of smart tools available. Brilliant conversion tool that allows conversion of a route into another format to suit your particular needs as well as heaps of other bits. Anyone with an iPhone should check out the 'app' they offer as well. Not that I've got one, but it apparantly turns your phone into a GPS tracker and allows you to download your route plus all it's info once you get back.

Can't say how accurate it's altitude profiles are, but I would suggest that might be something to do with Google Maps rather than Bikely. GPSies allows you to choose from a variety of map providers so you might find another is more on the money perhaps??

Bikely is great for downloading and sharing routes with others, huge number particuarly in the UK. Routes created on GPSies.com can be uploaded on Bikely. But then it too has a large selection of rides from users. I personally don't use any other site for either up or downloading. Go to it.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
splintersp3 said:

I use it for tracking workouts and whenever I have to go out of town to find new routes - always works fine for me. Sounds like your internet connection may have been having problems. Also, I have a Garmin Edge 305 and it consistently tracks with very similar elevation numbers.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't like mapmyride too much either. The adds are too much in the way (yes I know that's what makes it 'free') and with the free floating ad panel, it makes mapping a lot tougher. Once you pull up the elevation panel, you literally see nothing anymore, all info cluttered in one tiny 'google map' screen...

I compared a couple of climbs, like the Alpe d'huez and Ventoux with profiles on climb by bike, and the elevations of those climbs were pretty accurate. So I reasoned that all elevations would be quite accurate... can't confirm this though

I have found this one:

http://tracks4bikers.com/build

new, and in its initial stages. I don't know about the accuracy of elevation though. I don't know if it works outside the US, but the 'work environement' is much more manageable...

patswana said:
Waste of time IMO. Have not been impressed.

Agreed. Working on a guide book (under contract) for cycling the San Diego/so cal area and most of the maps for this region on that are just wrong. Often, people are making up rides and have no idea the terrain or any of the obstacles that would make the ride impossible. I have stopped using it completely and depend now on google earth to preview areas as close in as I can get before actually proposing and then completing a new ride. I also map with DeLorme's topo usa both prior to and then capture the ride on my gps and upload it to compare the planned vs actual. Topo does not have 100% current construction info and often routes I want to include cannot be done.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Itchyhorse
thanks for the gpsies.com. I went there and created a couple of routes and it was very easy versus mapmyride
THANKS!!!
It also loads into Google Earth!! :D

shawnrohrbach said:
Agreed...Often, people are making up rides and have no idea the terrain or any of the obstacles that would make the ride impossible...Topo does not have 100% current construction info and often routes I want to include cannot be done.

I tend to agree. I like the concept of it. I like the fact that the database is big. But as I looked into it, I found a lot of the routes were impractical, and many other nearby roads were superior as there is no real editing being done by any experts. It's also common to find multiple routes of the same thing, or similar rides (other sites have this problem too). No filtering can fix that. Dislike the ads too.

Topo! (The National Geographic program) I like, with a few exceptions. First, version 3 gave you the ability to isolate certain sections of road/trail and see the gradient. That feature was wiped in version 4 for no reason. Maps can also be out of date.

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I have a love/ hate relationship with Mapmyride.com. The site is always causing problems with my Edge 705 and I often will get irritated when for no reason the route says to make a u-turn. The u-turn issue I discovered is that for whatever reason I'll click on part of the road and for some reason the site will add 3 points, the one I clicked on, then the route will go back to the previous point and finally back to the new one. Luckily one I ride a route once the Edge will have the correct data. I just wish Garmin provided a site to map out routes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
striker said:
I'm using sportypal, it does the job very good. Great accuracy and some genuinely useful utilities.... It works great on my HTC diamond.

Saw this thread and resisted going here due to my total frustration with the crappy map my ride:mad:
who knew i could find a good alternative
TY!
now i am a cappy hamper :D

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
shawnrohrbach said:
...most of the maps for this region on that are just wrong. ... I also map with DeLorme's topo usa both prior to and then capture the ride on my gps and upload it to compare the planned vs actual. Topo does not have 100% current construction info and often routes I want to include cannot be done.

Have you looked at OpenStreetMap.org? No topo yet (it is in the pipeline) but great for making maps like the ones on opencyclemap.org... and if you find a mistake you can correct it.

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Here is my ride from the weekend, this thing has great accuracy:
glishopetrovec.jpg

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
splintersp3 said:

I know I posted before - but I forgot to mention that MapMyRide also tracks my cycling gear allowing me to easily know whether I am getting decent miles out of tires and other equipment. I am not sure why you are getting the script errors but it is not something I experienced. I will say that occasionally is locks up while downloading from the Garmin, but all that I have to do is stop and start the browser and it rarely has a problem on a second attempt. I also like that it is useful for tracking calories and other forms of exercise. I could see how you might be frustrated and wonder if it may have something to do with a problem (or conflict) with your computer itself.

TRENDING THREADS