• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mara Abbott in Pink!!!!! (Hey Guys)!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't show

Greg Johnson said:
From what I've read of your interaction with Laura thus far, I'm not entirely sure this is possible. I will give you this bit of enlightenment though: attacking the biggest champion for women's cycling coverage on the Cyclingnews team probably isn't the best way to achieve your end-goal. Start on me too, and you'll be attacking the second biggest supporter of the women's cycling scene on our team.

Laura has taken the time to respond to your concerns; which is indicative of how passionate she is on this topic. As you’ll see from her post count, she doesn’t get involved in discussions here often.

Beyond that I’d simply like to thank you for your feedback.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Well, bait and switch. I blame CN for not covering women's races, not Laura. However Laura is speaking for CN in this thread. What is bothersome is that you hacked in and then completely avoided all the questions I addressed in the last few posts. I would rather you talk facts to truth, and not smooth things over with any kudos. I know lots of people who work for free in women’s cycling and they definitely deserve praise, and they do a heck of a lot more for women's cycling then CN ever did, IMO.

BTW, I don't have a goal with CN, except they don't get any bigger.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Bastianelli stuff

I agree with pretty much all of that - you can be sympathetic to the situation she was in and the other problems she had without having time for her excuses regarding the positive, though. Like I said, maybe she didn't wrong deliberately, but that's what they all say. Annalisa Cucinotta's subsequent bleating after getting caught pretty much exhausted my patience with all those arguments. Having short shrift for Bastianelli's explanations of the positive test doesn't mean I don't feel for her regarding the other issues she had, though.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
BBRoberts said:
Well, bait and switch. I blame CN for not covering women's races, not Laura.

Who said anything about blaming Laura for our women's coverage? I said you were attacking Laura, not blaming her. You've made condescending remarks towards the fact - and I can confirm it is a fact - that Laura manages a women's team. That's personal - nothing to do with CN's coverage of women's racing.

BBRoberts said:
What is bothersome is that you hacked in and then completely avoided all the questions I addressed in the last few posts. I would rather you talk facts to truth, and not smooth things over with any kudos.

I completely understand. However as I've highlighted you've responded to someone's efforts to answer your questions by turning it personal. I don't feel that's required and refuse to become a part of it. So since I don't believe providing you with further answers will change anything, I'm much happier to simply take your comments onboard so that it can be kept in mind for future planning. That seems far more constructive than any other path this could head down.

BBRoberts said:
I know lots of people who work for free in women’s cycling and they definitely deserve praise, and they do a heck of a lot more for women's cycling then CN ever did, IMO.

BTW, I don't have a goal with CN, except they don't get any bigger.

Each to their own, but again, that seems counterproductive to the cause. I'd much rather we see natural growth amongst our readership for coverage on this aspect of the sport so we can receive more budget in this area in the future, so we can indeed have our own people at these races. I'd have thought that would see us share a common goal.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson said:
I'd much rather we see natural growth amongst our readership for coverage on this aspect of the sport so we can receive more budget in this area in the future, so we can indeed have our own people at these races. I'd have thought that would see us share a common goal.
Cheers
Greg Johnson

Greg that was a dishonest reply and I doubt you are lacking the intelligence to understand that. There will be no organic growth, because the presentation of the product is less than acceptable. Dear supplier, I am sorry you feel that way about our store - we will put your cakes on the front counter and display them nicely WHEN we sell more than 50 a day. Strangely for the last 10 years we have sold about 6 a day (with them hidden at the back of the shop well behind the counter, in a big bin). The demand is just not there. Have you thought of changing the recipe because (they must be rubbish) they are no where near as nice as these lovely "boy" cakes, that we sell loads of, on the front counter, that we carefully wrap in those oh so attractive little cases.

Having followed women's reporting on this site for 10 years, my perception, which you can put in the trash can, is that it was far better in around 2002 - 2005. About double the quantity that it is now. In recent years it has been erratic depending on event but fundamentally too low quality & quantity to make it worth following for any casual reader. In the past 4 years I have been near speechless with the superb events I have seen and the disservice given via this site by a write up that does not warrant that description. Where the analogy with the cakes breaks down is, at least the buyer gets to taste the product. In this case the readers' perceptions about the quality of the "cake" are those of the reporter, which in the last 5 years has been too often - don't bother reading here folks, whatever the girls do in a race, we will turn it into unacceptable dross.

10 - 5 years ago the reporting was highly Aussie baised but at least it was there. We certainly got to do what fans want to do, get behind the straight result and find out a little more about the characters. We didn't find out much about the other nationalities and if it was a particularly poor result for the Aussie girls, the report magically became shorter. It was not professional and it was not a service for a World wide readership, but at that stage of the site's development and the interest in Women's cycling perhaps it was satisfactory and certainly the best out there.

Now we get barely nothing by way of supportive text unless it is a cut 'n' paste Cervelo or HRT press release. If either of these two teams don't perform, don't expect anything. In the main it is far short of satisfactory or professional in all aspects. Certainly there will be no organic growth because the quality is unacceptable.

The attitude of the management of this site is probably the principle single restraining feature of the development of competitive women's cycling around the globe.

Whether Laura does or does not argue the case for decent coverage only staff on the site will know. My experience is that a token female in a "man's" environment knows exactly how much noise to make to keep the position and not disturb the status quo. A mutual token gesture supporting and reinforcing the status quo. Worse than having no women there at all. I have had more than one conversation with sports development officers specifically employed to develop girls' sports who were entirely blind to the fact that rather than support equality, what they were doing was reinforcing the attitude that "crumbs from the top table" were all girls could ever aspire to and unless you bought into that idea - clear off". Just how much did they hate the sight of me for exposing their years of work as being a significant part of the problem.

This is my first post and I was not drawn to register and write by your response, I was drawn by Laura's initial response which in my opinion (which you can all consign to the trash can) was that it reflected a significant aspect of why things will not change and "better sales tomorrow when the recipe is tweaked a little", will never happen.

Greg just ask yourself - would you be happy for your wife/daughter to be working in an environment were such prejudice is displayed and where no matter the quality of her work, the charisma of her star, diligence in her labors, she was simply denied access to those gifts of professional exposure that were gifted to many a boy of far lesser talent ?

Hit the delete button. It came from the ether it can go back there. Next customer for these hot selling cakes on the front counter.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BBRoberts said:
Oh, my, my, what pro team have you been running for 8 years now?

The reason you don't get many hits on those pages is because there is little or no content most of the time. If you had good content on those pages, viewership would increase. Many times you don't even provide a race report, just some results. Getting photos 2nd hand from CJ isn't first rate journalism coupled with professional photography or video work in the field. That's hodge podge journalism. If you want to provide solid maps and pre race profiles coupled with solid race reports and great photo work from the field, I can assure you that this traffic would increase substantially.

Like I said, it wouldn't kill CN yearly budget to send one field agent to Italy once a year to cover the biggest stage race for women. You can get free meals, hotels, and even media cars to take you around the course. With a little effort, a staff person can save quite a bit of money round trip. I'm sure Mario Minervino and company could put you guys up in good company within the organization.

Vitriolic? This is mild, if it was vitriolic, you would delete it, or me.

I was just venting a little about CN lack of coverage, as I said the same about Velonews, and worse, British Cycling and Cycling Weekly who I subscribed to before you were born, both have almost non existent coverage of the Women's Giro. I do have a problem with personally working for CN. First they call themselves the Centre of Cycling which they are not. Also it's an Ausse startup who moved to UK and is trying become a huge cycling conglomerate. That scares me, I don't like that. I don't believe any one particular site should be a monopoly in cycling worldwide.

However, since CN does call themselves the Centre of Cycling, why don't they live up to their name? They certainly are not the Centre of Cycling for Pro Road Women worldwide. It does bother me a bit that a small country like Australia is trying to capture and dominate both men's and women's cycling with CN and the spinoff WCN. They already have British Cycling and Cyclingweekly, now CN and WCN. Since YOU are an American and not a Brit, I would think you might be more supportive of our American counterparts. You are sort of working for the competitor, IMO, not for us! Why not take a job at Velonews, they need help and they are American!! We need to balance out this monopoly CN started, and perhaps you could help in that department! BP polluted our gulf too big time, so I'm not very happy with the Brits lately.

You get a far more appreciative audience when you post positive and interesting articles about women's cycling rather than having a whinge and a moan. Look at how they do it on Podiumcafe.

Celebrate women's cycling, don't try to guilt people into becoming passionate. It doesn't work that way.

BBRoberts said:
We already did a Giro thread with 4 or 5 pages but it died. Also we did the first 6 stages of the Giro on another forum. Believe me, we talked about it already. That part is over, this is a new thead cause people usually don't like to dig through old ones.

Funny how you call them female though like the Vet calls a cat or dog.
Or maybe I'm not a native speaker and it doesn't seem that strange to me at all.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
Greg that was a dishonest reply and I doubt you are lacking the intelligence to understand that.

It was actually a very honest reply. However, I do understand the points you go on to outline, but my original comments weren't based on any of the approaches outlined by Laura or others, for that matter. I've deliberately not offered my thoughts on how we address it going forward, because I don't believe that they were actually going to be valued by the recipient - regardless of how good/bad they were.

Freddythefrog said:
Greg just ask yourself - would you be happy for your wife/daughter to be working in an environment were such prejudice is displayed and where no matter the quality of her work, the charisma of her star, diligence in her labors, she was simply denied access to those gifts of professional exposure that were gifted to many a boy of far lesser talent ?

Ironically, although completely irrelevant, my partner actually works in an environment that’s the exact opposite of this scenario. Your point is understood however.

Freddythefrog said:
Hit the delete button.

No need for that. I’m more than happy to have a constructive conversation on this topic – I just don’t believe that was taking place originally.

So let’s do just that and be constructive. Would you mind if I drop you an e-mail?

If anyone wishes to offer constructive criticism, or can even help us improve on our coverage of this aspect of the sport, then please feel free to email myself and/or Laura.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
BBRoberts said:
You cover a few races at best, and you don't even send your own photograper. You usually send KF to a few like Redlands, Gila, perhaps Nature valley, but that's because all our races are layered men with women. She doesn't do photo work, but just the race report. CJ does both the photo and the race reports.

Bascially what you are doing is covering the men's races, and then a few crumbs for the women as an after thought. How many world cup races for women do you actually cover in Europe? The answer is ZERO! You get photos 2nd hand from CJ and then write a small piece to go with it.

Enlighten me?

I can honestly say that I don't understand this "second hand" complaint. Do you think Roberto Bettini or Sirotti work for Cyclingnews? Do you think AFP works for Cyclingnews? These are who are providing us our Tour de France photos. It's a service we pay for, just like CJ.

CJ has been our women's race photographer for years, and we're one of the few people who pay her to continue to follow the sport that is her passion.

In the USA we're fortunate enough to have women's races that are run in conjunction with the men's - so what's the problem with the same person covering both?

In the US and in other countries it is common practice to source photographs from someone who provdes images to multiple sources. It's honestly the only way that a photographer can make a living - just ask Lyne. She is selling her photos to all sorts of teams, not just using them for PI.

Most reporters aren't expert photographers, and it's difficult to do both provide a timely report or provide timely images. It takes about as much time to process and caption a batch of images as it does to interview riders and write a report. Lyne functions on longer timelines than CN which is why it works for her, but we try to get our content out there quickly which is why we don't have the reporter acting as a photographer.

I'll decline responding to that rambling paragraph about CN being a monopoly except to say it's full of contradicting arguments.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Timeout:

I would like to cut in here quickly and say Congrats to our American Mara Abbott on winning this historic edition of the Women's Giro. It's just incredible, and I am so happy for Mara. It deeply saddens me that CN could not of gone out and covered this historic edition, but that seems par for the course here. Now, I'll get back to sorting facts from the clever diversions in the next reply.

Runitout said:
You get a far more appreciative audience when you post positive and interesting articles about women's cycling rather than having a whinge and a moan. Look at how they do it on Podiumcafe.

Celebrate women's cycling, don't try to guilt people into becoming passionate. It doesn't work that way.

Agreed. Not to mention, this isn't even the appropriate forum for this discussion. You want to talk about the racing, cool. You want to complain about the site and it's coverage, there's another forum for that.

Not to mention the anti-Australian, anti-Brit talk is distasteful and undermines the op's argument and hurts his/her credibility.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BBRoberts said:
I would like to cut in here quickly and say Congrats to our American Mara Abbott on winning this historic edition of the Women's Giro. It's just incredible, and I am so happy for Mara. It deeply saddens me that CN could not of gone out and covered this historic edition, but that seems par for the course here. Now, I'll get back to sorting facts from the clever diversions in the next reply.
Your argument has become clearer with the above.

Every edition of the race is 'historic' - while you are correct to highlight the lack of coverage given to ladies racing, it should not matter on the participants but on the sport. Your argument that ladies racing does not get the coverage it deserves sounds hollow when it is aimed at a particular nation or participant.

I would add that I saw highlights of todays stage of the Giro and Abbott's attack and win were excellent. But it should be noted that it was approx 10 minutes of highlights covered after the Tour stage ended.

You admitted earlier that CN does a better job than some other publications on covering ladies cycling.
You are obviously passionate and enthusiastic for the sport - so perhaps some constructive comments and practical solutions would serve your argument better.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Part one

Really stretching it in the defensive mode, but it's not necessary. I asked a question because Laura said she managed a women's team for 8 years. What USA Pro team has Laura ran for 8 years?, and nobody answered. Stop trying to create a diversion by accusing me of attacking Laura. Laura is speaking in CN's behalf, and I am questioning CN ability to cover women's races. Trying to dismiss this discussion on that basis is pathetic. Let's talk truth to facts. There is nothing personal, although I am curious why she works for UK cycling site instead of an American one. She doesn't have to answer that question if she doesn't want to.

American cycling press here is in dire straits and needs good people here to work for places like Velonews or Daily Peloton. No site in America is claiming to be the Centre of Cycling, and since we are a country of 300 million people, we should be trying to build something solid here, not for the Brits or the Ausses, IMO. When it comes to American cycling, I am firmly patriotic to our sites. Personally I think it's bizarre that two small countries with smaller population like the UK and Ausseland are trying to control most of the cycling journalism scene and I think that needs to change. We need to step things up here in the states. We have/had after all, most of the great riders both male and female.

On the common goal, I don't see one. I believe it's CN goal to take control and dominate the cycling journalistic scene worldwide. Under FP, I sure that would happen if it could. Obviously Bike Radar is an attempt to broaden that horizon. I don't support that based on two things. One, neither Bike Radar or CN cover women's cycling fairly across the board, IMO, and two, two, I don't believe in any single site trying to dominate the cycling scene worldwide. However, let me underscore a few things here.

In women's cycling, what CN does, IMO, is send a reporter to a few of our races like Redlands, Gila, and Nature Valley. They only cover a few of the big NRC calendar events in person. They don't do anything special for the Women's Prestige series that I know of. I don't believe in journalism where a reporter just gets a race report groupie style from one rider, and sometimes they don't even talk to the winner. Clicking off with riders you know is not a good way to get a race report, cause that person just rambles on, and then you pretty much just print verbatim what they say.

So not shooting any photos or videos, I would say they could be doing much more. Lynn is not under less pressure then CN reporters. She gets her stuff up usually faster then CN does, and she does way more content and races then CN covers. She does both photos and videos, and tons of them, while posting excellent races reports where she speaks to many different teams and riders and builds a solid race report from many different points of view. That is what I call solid journalism.

On photos, nobody in this business is making gobs of money selling women's race photos either. Everyone I know who does it, does it because they want to help move the women's side along, there is not motive for profit. CJ is paid to work the world cup races, and she sells photos for profit. No one else I know is being paid to cover women's cycling cause there is no demand for that content. Most of the people who do it, do it without a motive for profit. Since the women's side is so heavily oppressed in nearly all forms of media big and small, there is not yet a business model that would lead to profits like there is with the Big Tours for men. Mostly what people contribute I know are just trying to keep it somewhat marginally afloat. That's all any single person can do without a big mogul stepping in, and sponsoring something like the World Cup or NRC series on TV.

Greg, if you are a huge supporter of women's cycling then it doesn't show, IMO, cause I can see nothing on CN that makes me think that CN is anymore more then a male dominated club (IMO). So you don't delete this, let me make it clear that it's my opinion, IMO, that like WCP and other outlets, I see CN mostly a male dominated cycling resource. When I asked WCP many years ago about why they don't have one single women's cycling video for sale, they didn't have any answers except that if I go out and make one, perhaps they might sell it. They themselves also had no intention of gambling a bit to open the door and start the ball rolling. No one wants to give up a little profit to do the right thing. It's all profit driven everywhere it seems when it comes to big media.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Part two

I have talked to a number of fathers who have daughters who race at the pro level and they all say the same thing. They say it's very unfair and a disgrace that pro women's cycling isn't given a fair slice of the pie in big media sites like this and others, especially TV. Their daughters often give up and just go on to college careers and see cycling as often nothing more then a social gathering cause the media doesn't take the pro women seriously. They like to ride and race at the top levels but the prizes, the salaries, the lack of media coverage makes them see pro cycling as nothing more then either a social event or perhaps a stepping stone if they are lucky, but nothing remotely compared to the serious money that is on the line in men's pro cycling. A lot of pro women at races sometimes act like why bother to cover us, nobody cares. That's very sad they feel that way and big media is at fault for that.

Greg, I notice the old trick of asking people to email you, very cleaver. What that does is take the argument out of the public forum so people cannot get onboard and speak facts to truth here where everyone can read it and have a say. If more people are not afraid to speak out, then we will get more of what Fred said because Freddy the Frog was dead on the money. What I notice is sad is true about what he said, and that is women are usually afraid to rock the boat. You won't see a lot women speaking out here or in any forum cause too often they are afraid to fight for what is rightfully theirs.

I'm not sure why that is, but I do know most forums are male dominated and even the earliest usenet cycling forums were a spin off from CN, and those forums are strictly dominated by male cycling threads. It's become a very twisted culture and it needs to be made right. Out of all the big forums in the world today, there is not one single forum anywhere for pro women road racing that I know of. Most women cycling forums are about dress, clothes, and other personal accouterments, but nothing about the riders and road racing like everywhere else for men. This tells me nothing has changed in the last two decades. Women are still nibbling around the edges of the men, and haven't gained much ground yet.

On Laura's last post if CN is the center of Cycling and touted as the biggest best in the world, then they don't need to rely on third parties to get their reports and photos, IMO. They should be able to send out their own photographers, get both video and photos, plus solid race reports like Lyne does, although I think Bart also does a pretty good job. While I know you can't go to every race, neither does Lyne or Bart, you could at least send a couple of people to cover the biggest race of the year for women, and try to do a really good job of it. Make a statement, set a standard, and show the world you really care, instead of this hodge podge journalism. You can't rely on CJ forever and you could start building your own model starting today if you wanted.

On covering both races, that's fine as long as the women get as much attention as the men, but they don't. Nowhere near the same attention overall on CN. That's the problem. Froggy was right, the attitude of if you don't like it, here's the door is prevalent in big media and that needs to change.

I don't see WCN as moving women's cycling forward much, IMO. It's seems more like a business to sell photos then to make women's cycling very exciting. She gets paid to go to the races, so it's not like she's doing it out of pocket completely and she is selling photos for profit. Her website design is less then compelling, IMO, looking more like a children's site then a pro women cycling website and her photos are so tiny and plastered with watermarks and copyrights, I doubt anyone is really that interested to look at them. If she suppose to be on the cutting edge for women's cycling, then I am not impressed. Remember though, I said, IMO. It's my opinion.

On the races, you could send someone to the Giro for probably less then two hundred Euros. It's possible, although a bit extreme. You can drive by car through the Chunnel, and with toll roads and bridges that does add up a little, so I am not entirely sure how much gas and tolls would be, but if you could travel with the organization they would put you up in lodging and you can eat with them too. You can save a lot of money, I know because they friends have been offered to be the official press agents at many of these big races for women in Europe. The reasons CN have given for not covering the biggest women's race in the world are very thin, IMO.

On the last person comment, this edition was historic because I believe it contained more climbing then any previous edition. There hasn't been a climbing edition in any race like this since the 2003 Grande Boucle, that's why it has special historic significance. It's clearly a climbers edition, and you have the two best climbers in the world for women in it. This could of be a huge media spectacle if big media decided to pick it up. Races are generally shorter and faster as the new format for women's cycling, so this was like a one time special event, and CN missed it totally, completely, IMO. Getting a few 2nd hand photos from CJ posted with a bit of dribble about the race is not the solid journalism this race deserved. I feel bad for Mara, cause she really deserves better press.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BBRoberts said:
I have talked to a number of fathers ............................. I feel bad for Mara, cause she really deserves better press.

So apart from having a go at CN, what are you gonna do about it? Get a blog started and link it to every possible cycling site going and make it the number 1 news and information site for women's racing....

i look forward to reading it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
On cn

I am not directly opposed to CN having a slice of the pie worldwide be it men or women. Without repeating what's already been stated, I would hope that CN expands it coverage of women's races either across the board, or at least pick one race a year like the Women's Giro and do a bang up job. Make people stand up and take notice. That would go a longs way to smooth things over with readers and get the ball rolling. As much as Froggy was played down, the nail was squarely hit. I'm glad someone came in an nailed it. Ironically neither one of us is a women. Women need to lead in every aspect, on every level, and from I can see for many years now, they are not.

There are a few heroes and champions out there like Linda Jackson and Nicola Cranmer, but the majority of those who could speak out for change and make a difference prefer to take a back seat. From all accounts from what I can see, when ever someone starts a serious discussion about what to do about the serious problems with women's cycling, most women run from it. It's like taboo, they won't talk about!!

Crisis

Too tired to respond fully now. Women's international road cycling is about to drop below critical mass. The current state of growth is negative and has been for several years. Others can list all the events that have been lost in the last 5 years. It was on the up through the 90's and early part of this century. It is now in need of care that might become "intensive" very soon. I only echo BB's comments about what parents and girls who have been on the circuit think. When an old gentleman who knows nothing about cycling, men's or women's has taken an interest, because he knows I have and then comes up to me, and I have never in many years ever known him describe anything in expletives, and says "those wicked ****ing *******s in the press" you know there exists an outrageous unfairness that would not be tolerated by your shareholders if it were skin color or racially based. This is not a problem that is going to "self heal" or "evolve". It requires deliberate remedial action to operate in a manner that does justice to the shareholders who have invested in the business. I am sure they would not vote for a policy that stated "in our CN business model we will enforce and encourage the suppression of all females".

Again BB is right about the reasons why women do not speak out or lead, and the need for them to do so. Greg I look forward to an email. Well done to Mara A on a superb ride.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Problems with women's cycling

Greg seems clueless, but I think what's worse is this tendency to sweep it under the carpet in this forum, hush it up by taking it to email! I don't think they want women to speak out, or else a firestorm could erupt from women, but I doubt it. The best thread I have ever seen on women's cycling, and even Nicole Cooke’s Dad said this five part thread on Kerry Litka's website was the best he had ever read, and others said the same. It speaks truth to facts, and it been called a very gutsy ballsy thread, very bold, but it speaks out very frankly. Part 2 is password protected, but you are not missing much in that one. It was somewhat boorish. Read this five part thread for some enlightenment. I’ve written quit a bit myself at lengths about the problems with women’s cycling, but I think this is all you need to read.

Part 1
http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/01/26/the-problem-with-womens-cycling/comment-page-1/

Part 2
http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/02/14/the-problem-with-womens-cycling-part-ii/

Part 3
http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/02/14/the-problem-with-womens-cycling-part-3/

Part 4
http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/02/16/the-problem-with-womens-cycling-part-4/

Part 5
http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/02/17/the-problem-with-womens-cycling-part-v/

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Simply reply

Benotti69 said:
So apart from having a go at CN, what are you gonna do about it? Get a blog started and link it to every possible cycling site going and make it the number 1 news and information site for women's racing....

i look forward to reading it.

Well, I will say this. I boycotted a certain very high profile race stateside cause the media organizers told me women's pro road racing doesn't draw enough attention for the way they cover the event. He said not enough hits or impressions, meaning he putting all his resources into the men pro event only. Of course I could of covered it from outside the press area, but that so infuriated me that I didn't go. Another pro road women's father told me the same about this same race, and he was also absolutely flustered over the sexual media bias this race organization had regarding men's and women's pro road racing. There is a prejudice out there, to be sure.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
simple reply

Dr. Maserati said:
Your argument has become clearer with the above.

Every edition of the race is 'historic' - while you are correct to highlight the lack of coverage given to ladies racing, it should not matter on the participants but on the sport. Your argument that ladies racing does not get the coverage it deserves sounds hollow when it is aimed at a particular nation or participant.

I would add that I saw highlights of todays stage of the Giro and Abbott's attack and win were excellent. But it should be noted that it was approx 10 minutes of highlights covered after the Tour stage ended.

You admitted earlier that CN does a better job than some other publications on covering ladies cycling.
You are obviously passionate and enthusiastic for the sport - so perhaps some constructive comments and practical solutions would serve your argument better.

On this one at the end. CN does better then Velonews true, and I don't hold Velonews up in the highest regard, although I would prefer Velonews as the forerunner. They have been around since 1972, I just wish they cover more women's cycling here. Actually the one I hold in the higest regard here is the Daily Peloton. They do a lot of women's racing with Bart Hazen and Vaugh Trevor is very much a supporter of women's cycling, cause I know him personally. The Daily Peloton is without a doubt the best news source for women's cycling in America I can think of, although Podium Insight has been extremely good for the women in the last two years as well.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
the race gets no coverage because no one ALMOST no one cares about woman's cycling.

the entire point of watching athletic completion is to see feats of strength, agility, endurance, or ability FAR above and beyond what you are able to achieve yourself

since even professional women racers are barely faster than even fat/masters/catIII weekend warrior type males... what's the point?

perhaps it is of interest to other female bike racers; but that is about it.

G. Jensen is mentioned in this thread; even at the height of her (epo fueled) 'dominance', her TT times could barely top those of Cat III and Cat II american men (amateurs).. Much less the professional men's peloton...
same thing goes for leatherface Longo

short answer is almost no one watches female sport of any type (excepting tennis) because it's a little lame to see 'professional athletes' who perform no better/faster/longer than men who fall into the weekend warrior category.

you can argue till you are blue in the face that it is as exciting as men's racing... but the viewership number simply don't bear that out

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BBRoberts said:
Well, I will say this. I boycotted a certain very high profile race stateside cause the media organizers told me women's pro road racing doesn't draw enough attention for the way they cover the event. He said not enough hits or impressions, meaning he putting all his resources into the men pro event only. Of course I could of covered it from outside the press area, but that so infuriated me that I didn't go. Another pro road women's father told me the same about this same race, and he was also absolutely flustered over the sexual media bias this race organization had regarding men's and women's pro road racing. There is a prejudice out there, to be sure.

as for sexual media bias... blame the fans, not the race or the media.. people don't give a crap

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
BBRoberts said:
Greg seems clueless but I think what's worse is this tendency to sweep it under the carpet in this forum, hush it up by taking it to email!

Both Laura and I have the ability to close or delete this thread, and yourself as a user - none of which we've done. Instead, there has been attempts to engage with you on the matter which you've so far chosen not to take up. That's fine, it's your choice - but it does suggest to me you're more interested in airing your grievances than you are making a difference on this matter.

I've extended you an avenue through which you can provide constructive feedback and become part of the solution. The e-mail address is there, you’re welcome to contact me any time.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Plenty been said

Greg Johnson said:
Both Laura and I have the ability to close or delete this thread, and yourself as a user - none of which we've done. Instead, there has been attempts to engage with you on the matter which you've so far chosen not to take up. That's fine, it's your choice - but it does suggest to me you're more interested in airing your grievances than you are making a difference on this matter.

I've extended you an avenue through which you can provide constructive feedback and become part of the solution. The e-mail address is there, you’re welcome to contact me any time.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Nice dodge Greg, but that's ok. We can part with this...

Plenty been said already and I don't think private emails would make any difference. In the end, I doubt very seriously CN would change it current business model to include more robust reporting of pro women's events. If you want more insightful feedback I encourge you to read Kerry Likta's five part thread, and she's a brain child in her own right for sure. While she started the firestorm in that thread, the replies are where most of the solid content resides. I suggest you read that if you care at all, cause there is a ton of good insight in that five part thread.