• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mario Aerts' heart condition

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
It is not surgery that Mario will go through. It is called an Ablation procedure were the patent is awake and given a drug to increase the heartbeat and simulate the condition of rapid heartbeat which is monitored. He will be in and out hospital the same day. Tony Blair had this done while in PM Office

I find this really amazing. I couldn't imagine getting anything done on my heart and then possibly riding a bike at a really competitive level within a few weeks. He even moved up the surgery just to give himself the opportunity to ride the Tour this year.

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Probably SVT

From what it sounds like, Mario Aerts probably has Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT). I've got the same problem - no fun when your heart rate shoots up from 120bpm to 220bpm in a matter of 5 seconds! (I have a HRmax around 190). Mysterae had it right - Aerts will probably have an ablation of an extra conduction pathway in the heart that shouldn't be there and causes the extra-fast heart rate. The same procedure was suggested to me if my SVT gets more of a problem. Hope Aerts' procedure solves the situation.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
mysterae said:
It is not surgery that Mario will go through. It is called an Ablation procedure were the patent is awake and given a drug to increase the heartbeat and simulate the condition of rapid heartbeat which is monitored. He will be in and out hospital the same day. Tony Blair had this done while in PM Office

In The Clinic they will see this as proof that Tony Blair was on a full EPO program.

Seriously though, I hope Mario gets well soon. Cycling's a hard sport and heart defects are readily exposed. Thankfully, most top teams now do tests to check for this type of stuff.

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Special_oz_ed said:
From what it sounds like, Mario Aerts probably has Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT). I've got the same problem - no fun when your heart rate shoots up from 120bpm to 220bpm in a matter of 5 seconds! (I have a HRmax around 190). Mysterae had it right - Aerts will probably have an ablation of an extra conduction pathway in the heart that shouldn't be there and causes the extra-fast heart rate. The same procedure was suggested to me if my SVT gets more of a problem. Hope Aerts' procedure solves the situation.

If this is what Aerts has it may take a little longer to recover. I had a similar operation in 2005 after having ongoing tachycardia's for 16 yrs previously. It was day keyhole surgery but they send a load of tubes up to your heart from your groin on both sides (vein and artery) while you're still awake, with only a local anaesthetic. They ablate certain electrical pathways in the heart that can lead to ectopic beats for the next month or so while these areas slowly heal.

It will change his life but he'll certainly feel uncomfortable getting back on the bike so early. There are many different types of tachycardia's and ways to deal with them though and his may be less invasive. Good luck to him!

Cyclingnews haven't really grasped the tone of the article (with no native speakers on board, that happens a lot). The condition is harmless in principle, but he's at an age where he wonders if he should take the risk of making it worse.

The reason Aerts didn't get operated on isn't that the condition is harmless, but that the operation would be too dangerous.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Can you expand on that?

Theyoungest says it perfectly, The operation would be too dangerous because the nerve that they intended to burn is too close to a more important cardial nerve. If they'd damage that one he might get in serious trouble

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Special_oz_ed said:

I have had SVT attacks and had an Ablation done but it was not a sucess and I had futher attacks when out on the bike, the cold weather seems to bring it on, one time in icu the doctors could not find a pulse or BP , my heart rate was that rapid above 220bpm, they said we know your alive because your talking to us', still managed to ride my bike home one time without a pulse so the cardeoligist said,, I am now on a drug called Verapamil 240.which seems to be working and helps my HB to return down to normal, (maybe on the banned list), I had a good International career as a amatuer.with a very slow HB. Did Coppi and Simpson not have those heart coditions? I'am 75 now, think I should take up bird watching??.