• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
?

i don't believe it the alberto thread has gone ballistic with multiple pics of alberto doing this and that but the cav thread goes unnoticed?

so where is cav going? which team would be best?

i hope that sky team prove reasonable and allow cav to go with no huge fee to end his contract

sadly it's been an unlucky year for cav............so many crashes..........
curse of the rainbow jersey............or always left with too much to do with team sky?

Northern rider said:
Belgians ?

Country doesn't matter :)

No more fooling about.
-
Tbh Cavendish is the first sprinter I like to watch.
He is fantastic and is able to win in different ways.

I mean, who thougt it was intertaining to watch Zabel who could not win anything without his train?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jyhjyh said:
Country doesn't matter :)

No more fooling about.
-
Tbh Cavendish is the first sprinter I like to watch.
He is fantastic and is able to win in different ways.

I mean, who thougt it was intertaining to watch Zabel who could not win anything without his train?

You are joking ofcourse!

Cavendish wins are the most boring races to watch. They are all the same - lead out train takes in break on a flat stage, Cavendish sits at the back doing nothing, and a hundred yards before the line he sprints. What is interesting on that? That is the only way he can win.

Other sprinters are far more verstaile and can win by the own strengths and with no help. And they do not blame others when they loose and do not demand a team built around them.

Normandy said:
You are joking ofcourse!

Cavendish wins are the most boring races to watch. They are all the same - lead out train takes in break on a flat stage, Cavendish sits at the back doing nothing, and a hundred yards before the line he sprints. What is interesting on that? That is the only way he can win.

Other sprinters are far more verstaile and can win by the own strengths and with no help. And they do not blame others when they loose and do not demand a team built around them.

Seriously? You obviously didn't watch Cav's win in Brive at this years Tour! Cav is one of the most tactically versatile sprinters in the bunch. Obviously he prefers a leadout to keep him safe but he has picked up many wins by locking on someone elses wheel.

Many other sprinters need it perfect (Greipel, Goss) however Cav can win by himself.

Normandy said:
You are joking ofcourse!

0/10 For the WUM :p

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Seriously? You obviously didn't watch Cav's win in Brive at this years Tour! Cav is one of the most tactically versatile sprinters in the bunch. Obviously he prefers a leadout to keep him safe but he has picked up many wins by locking on someone elses wheel.

Many other sprinters need it perfect (Greipel, Goss) however Cav can win by himself.

Cav might be better than those you mention, but he is not more versatile. He's a weapon in bunch sprints both physically and tactically, but comapred to Sagan, Boonen or even Goss, he can't be considered a versatile sprinter. Thats not a criticism though, he's the best at what he does.

We had this idea that we could have this British super team, we can win GC, we can win stages, we can win the green jersey and go and dominate. … It hasn’t worked out like that,” Cavendish said in a press conference, according to Cycling Weekly

Afrank said:
For a sprinter like Cav winning green in the tour and winning stages is the main goal. And as long as Sky has guys like Wiggins, Froome, Henao, etc. cav will never have a team built to help him achieve this. And as long as Sky has as many leaders as they currently have Cav will not have a team built around him in the other stage races like the Giro or Vuelta or the week long stage races. The only races where he could have a team built entirely around him are the single day races.

He was the leader at the Giro this year:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-2012-cavendish-leads-team-sky

Afrank said:
But there was still Henao and Uran who were targeting a top 10 at the Giro. And the tour is really the race that Cav would want to have a team built around him. And he won't get a team built around him for the tour at Sky.

I think the Giro was supposed to be a kind of consolation prize if the Tour plan didn't pan out. Everybody crashed and he lost the points jersey to Rodriguez by a point, and didn't Uran win the White Jersey at the Giro?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
I think the Giro was supposed to be a kind of consolation prize if the Tour plan didn't pan out. Everybody crashed and he lost the points jersey to Rodriguez by a point, and didn't Uran win the White Jersey at the Giro?

Not a very great consolation prize for Cav then, considering he wasn't able to win the points jersey in either tours.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
Why the Giro in particular and not the Tour as well? Outside of Tony Martin in the time trials they don't exactly have many obvious cards to play at the Tour in the years to come with their current roster.

Because they're a classic teams and classic stars rarely go to the Giro. ;) Hence they don't have many cyclists that can perform well there. I'm not talking about this year in particular, but for its entire team history. They used to have the Italian part of the team that did ok in the Giro like Paolo Bettini, but that's gone now as well.

QS won stages in most Tours, it's only the last 2 years that things haven't gone as planned for them there.

Of course Cav would also go to the Tour, that wasn't my point at all.

well?

well? cav looked good winning the final stage of the tour of britain.....his last win wearing the rainbow jersey

an uphill finish too

cav has done the rainbow jersey proud

for those who know cycling stats better than myself...............who was the last wearer of the rainbow jersey to win as often in a year?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
well? cav looked good winning the final stage of the tour of britain.....his last win wearing the rainbow jersey

an uphill finish too

cav has done the rainbow jersey proud

for those who know cycling stats better than myself...............who was the last wearer of the rainbow jersey to win as often in a year?

Tom Boonen had 22 victories in 2006.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cav hasn't had the best year, He couldn't win Milan-San Remo, He lost the points jersey in the Giro by 1 point to Purito, he was only able to win 3 stages of the tour (his worst performance ever) and was never in the running for green, he wasn't able to win his biggest goal, the Olympic road race. He won a good quantity of races this season but a lot of the races he won aren't of very high quality or prestige.