• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Now that Cavendish is seemingly getting some results again, he has once again resorted to opening his foul mouth at every occasion. Just insufferable. Let's hope Kittel gets back into shape asap.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
SeriousSam said:
Now that Cavendish is seemingly getting some results again, he has once again resorted to opening his foul mouth at every occasion. Just insufferable. Let's hope Kittel gets back into shape asap.

What are you referring to?

Possibly that he said of Sagan something to the effect of "because he hasn't got any confidence I knew he'd open the sprint too early so it was easy just to stick to his wheel and come round him".

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Kittel is MIA for this season. Cavendish will rule the sprints with Greipel a close second
next season for Kittel
Seems like Kittel is cleared to race again. I hope he can find form in time to deny Cavendish victory at the Champs-Élysées.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I had a bet with someone over at Bike Radar. The BR guy bet me that Cav would win 3 stages I said he would be lucky to win one.
I must admit that Kittel was the No 1 sprinter at the time of the bet.
I do think the headwinds don't help but when you look at Sagan and Gorilla they seem to have the extra gear that Cav used to have.

I said it before that since Sky/ GB Olympic attempt to get Cav the gold they tampered with him to much, He lost to much weight and since then he has never been the same. Once you start messing around with someone to that extent then IMO the chances are they will never be the same.
Pre Sky Cav would have had 2 stages in the bag by today.

And Cavendish being nice and polite. :eek: The times are changing.

“You'd do well to speak to Greipel, he’s the guy who won today,” Cavendish said at one point, his low voice barely picked up by the microphones that drew tightly around him. “I think instead of the news being that I'm beaten again, maybe it should be that Greipel has won. He's a phenomenal sprinter, he's in the green jersey and that's the second stage he won this year.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-beaten-into-third-in-amiens-sprint

Re:

Velolover2 said:
And Cavendish being nice and polite. :eek: The times are changing.

“You'd do well to speak to Greipel, he’s the guy who won today,” Cavendish said at one point, his low voice barely picked up by the microphones that drew tightly around him. “I think instead of the news being that I'm beaten again, maybe it should be that Greipel has won. He's a phenomenal sprinter, he's in the green jersey and that's the second stage he won this year.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-beaten-into-third-in-amiens-sprint

Well he can't be cocky because he isn't winning and he can't be mean/snarky to his team; he needs to be on their good side so they'll keep at least a little faith in him.

Cav done?

......and Kittel ain't here to say he's been beaten by his nemesis....
......and the Team brought him the necessary helpers.................
......and they have worked really hard to position him well ..........
......and Bouhanni is out too..................................................
......and Degenkolb ain't performing well either..........................
......and Kristoff is not as his best shape too.............................

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Started winning early, declining sooner.

Petacchi exploded when he was 29 years old and still managed to win green jersey and stages in all the three grand tours at 36/37.

Maybe you simply have a certain number of years at the top. If he continues riding maybe he'll still be a good rider capable of those 10 victories for every season but forget about winning 6 stages at the Tour again.

Cavendish

This certainly isn't a thread to dismiss or criticize Mark Cavendish, you don't win 25 stages by being average.

But I'm having a hard time understand how Greipel is easily beating him at the moment? - I remember reading Mark's book where he said he 1. he didn't need a team to win with, he used to buzz around like Robbie McEwen did. and 2. Due to his lack of height/size had a clear advantage over the Greipels of this world.

Now he seems to have Renshaw, Tony Martin and Kwiatkowski going like crazy for him and still he doesn't win, Sagan doesn't have anyone with him and Greipel's normal train of Henderson and Hansen is blow to bits due to their respective injuries.

So I don't understand the results at the moment.

Robbie McEwen made the comment that Cavendish looks to have lost too much weight and does not have his regular power in the sprints. Of course it does not help when he loses Renshaw's wheel. Two mistakes have cost him so probably have to see him do a good sprint before writing him off but it's not a Tour for sprinters and his chances are limited.

I think Robbie Mc is correct, Cav has gotten leaner, and in so doing he has lost that last little bit to win like he used to. He's still a great sprinter, and will still get some wins. Maybe enough people like Robbie Mc will talk about his mass to speed ratio and Cav will train differently for next year in preparation for riding US crits for Airgas-Safeway (you heard it here first).

TRENDING THREADS