• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
I can't really imagine someone would cause a crash on purpose because it just wouldn't make any sense. But I also can't explain why he did make this mistake. He is looking at the Korean and makes the turn directly afterwards. You can't say he didn't see the other rider so what on earth was he thinking.

I agree with this. He didn't do it on purpose, but I still believe he did check back and saw him there, before turning in. Either he has forgotten completely how to race on track, which I doubt, or he was expecting the Korean to move all of a sudden.

Also the difference between Viviani and Boudat and this was that Viviani came down much more gradually, and didn't see Boudat, or check for that matter. Cavendish's was just weird, really.

Edit: anyone have any news on Park? I haven't heard any yet

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
I don't think it was intentional from Cav, just a clumsy mistake. He takes a look behind and probably expected the Korean to move down the bank but of course he should have looked again when moving back down. Far too many people going OTT saying it was deliberate, he could have wiped himself out with that move and ended his own medal chances.

Exactly. I dont even understand how this is even a debate.

Gigs_98 said:
I can't really imagine someone would cause a crash on purpose because it just wouldn't make any sense. But I also can't explain why he did make this mistake. He is looking at the Korean and makes the turn directly afterwards. You can't say he didn't see the other rider so what on earth was he thinking.
I really want to believe he didn't do it on purpose but it just looks so bad. As you say, I really can't understand what he was thinking. He looked at the Korean, twice, he knew where Park was, yet he still came down?? It just makes no sense to me and it looks really bad. On social media, I see several highly esteemed people speculate that is might have been intentional. When looking at the images, it does really seem that way but like I said, I want to believe it wasn't. Let's be honest though, this is not the first time, he's taken out riders on the road in similar fashion (Veelers for example). Even if not intentional it was extremely reckless and he should be punished. On the road you would get relegated yet on the track it is all okay? But Kiwi rider Kennett got a points penalty for some reason? It's hard to believe he did something worse than Cav.

What makes me sick is that there was no reaction from Cav. It actually looked like he was expecting to collide with the korean guy - no look back after the crash, no surprise in his face, nothing...and of course he saw him getting close, cyclists are not racing horse with blinkers. I was rooting for him to get gold but after this I am very happy that Viviani won.

Re:

rehy90 said:
What makes me sick is that there was no reaction from Cav. It actually looked like he was expecting to collide with the korean guy - no look back after the crash, no surprise in his face, nothing...and of course he saw him getting close, cyclists are not racing horse with blinkers. I was rooting for him to get gold but after this I am very happy that Viviani won.
This... it just looks really bad. Hopefully we'll get some further clarification.

Gigs_98 said:

When he saw him, the Korean was going up the track. Then, in the time between his look down and the time he started moving down, the Korean changed his line. It was very careless either way but you can kinda see what he was thinking

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
rehy90 said:
This... it just looks really bad. Hopefully we'll get some further clarification.

Probably just putting it to the back of his mind and focusing on the race, he'll probably be asking after the rider and may visit him in hospital once his commitments are done.

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Very easy to look for ways to attack someone you don't like. It's not hard to see what really happened
I actually don't mind Cav at all but this is inexcusable. Don't know how you can generalize and say everyone who believes it might have been on purpose is just looking for "ways to attack" Cav.

Well a lot of people are. Cav misjudged it, simple.

Imo at least, the Veelers and Gerrans incidents were much worse than today, as those were down to aggression, not misjudgements like today.
Hopefully we'll get a positive update on Park's injuries soon

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
rehy90 said:

Wait, what? This makes no sense. He literally did look back, and it looked as if he was apologising (he waved his left hand).

0134fb76b3.png

TMP402 said:
Red Rick said:
MatParker117 said:
Wonder if the TP in Tokyo will be his swansong?
He may think about that. Knowing GB, no chance in hell he'll make the team

Showed a pretty good improvement in his pursuiting, though. I wouldn't dismiss the idea. And if not Cavendish who will be the Wiggins of 2020? Thomas? Kennaugh? Swift? Even Dowsett, Stannard and Blythe would fit the bill.
Cav will be 35, and GB will open a new can of wonder team pursuiters most likely.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to sit here and tell you I know much about Track. I do know it can be a crash fest sometimes. But DAM! That Korean guy trained 4 years for this day. And to be taken out by an utter lack of regard is complete BS.

Imho. Cav should have been DQ'ed

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So he couldn't even beat Elia Viviani. He'll once again leave the velodrome as one of the worst performers on the British track team.

The funny thing is I'm not even trolling with that latest statement. :eek:

Laura Trott is in pole position to defend her Omnium title and Gold and Silver seem like a sure thing for the British at the Women's individual Sprint.

It was a deliberate blocking maneuver from Cav. The post collision reaction itself shows that he is guilty. Unfortunately Park is also looking behind and going upwards while Cav already started coming down. So the collision is a 50-50 fault and he is definitely one of the causes for it. It is difficult to DQ in such a case. Unsportsmanlike but that is already proven for Cav.

TRENDING THREADS