• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Richeypen said:
Pricey_sky said:
I don't think it was intentional from Cav, just a clumsy mistake. He takes a look behind and probably expected the Korean to move down the bank but of course he should have looked again when moving back down. Far too many people going OTT saying it was deliberate, he could have wiped himself out with that move and ended his own medal chances.

Exactly. I dont even understand how this is even a debate.
He should've been penalised though.
Whether careless or too aggressive, he took out 1 rider, and with a bit of bad luck, his main competitor for gold could've been out as well.

I also read he threw one of his hissy fits immediately after the race after being confronted with it.
Cavendish being Cavendish. Very enjoyable when he wins, a total arse when he doesn't.

Jagartrott said:
Richeypen said:
Pricey_sky said:
I don't think it was intentional from Cav, just a clumsy mistake. He takes a look behind and probably expected the Korean to move down the bank but of course he should have looked again when moving back down. Far too many people going OTT saying it was deliberate, he could have wiped himself out with that move and ended his own medal chances.

Whether careless or too aggressive, he took out 1 rider, and with a bit of bad luck, his main competitor for gold could've been out as well.

I also read he threw one of his hissy fits immediately after the race after being confronted with it.
Cavendish being Cavendish. Very enjoyable when he wins, a total **** when he doesn't.
not giving a s*t about that injured Korean, threatening journalist to sue him for his race video... completely enjoyable lad :rolleyes:

Re:

El Pistolero said:
So he couldn't even beat Elia Viviani. He'll once again leave the velodrome as one of the worst performers on the British track team.

The funny thing is I'm not even trolling with that latest statement. :eek:

I'm sure overall he will be pretty happy with his efforts the last 2 months, a silver is still a good achievement, and no shame in losing to a class guy like Viviani.

Add that to his dominance in the Tour sprints and finally getting his hands on yellow, pretty good stuff. Still the worlds to come too where he must have a favourites chance.

Jagartrott said:
Richeypen said:
Pricey_sky said:

Cavendish being Cavendish. Very enjoyable when he wins, a total **** when he doesn't.
I think he was given a warning actually.

Get over yourselves people. You saw the same move by several riders, including Viviani's identical move which was far worse on Boudat. Luckily Boudat was aware that Viviani was coming down onto him. This is scratch racing. No way you can judge a move like that and make it work to your favour. Cav could be out just as easily. Like Viviani's on Boudat's, it was a move that happens all the time in the Scratch race following moves. You can''t look behind everytime you change line. The commis made the right decision. If they took out Cav, they'd have to take off Viviani too.

Re:

Fernandez said:
Watching the replay I cant believe there are people who really believe Cavendish didnt do it on purpose. But once again, some people in these forums are just cheerleaders.

Well in case you've never watched track cycling before, it is an extremely common manoeuvre to dive down suddenly to accelerate quickly and catch people by surprise. And fyi, if he did it on purpose, using your back wheel like that puts you at fairly high risk of a crash too

Reading more comments here, it's clear many don't watch much scratch racing in an actual velodrome where you see this type of incident all the time. If you've only watched on TV, you miss so much of what's happening in the scratch race. This isn't a basic sprint in a road race where you shoudl hold your line.

Very, very impressed with Cav this season. I had pretty much written him off as a top sprinter and just expected him to take a few more wins here and there, maybe another big one or two if he got lucky and end his career in the next year or two.

This year he has conclusively proved himself to be the best sprinter of all time, put himself second overall in TdF stage wins, beaten everyone in what seems to be a bit of a golden age of sprinting, taken the yellow jersey and now added a long awaited Olympic medal to his trophy cabinet, beating people who had built their whole season around that one goal. His improvements in certain events in the Omnium were phenomenal and bode well for hopefully a couple more years of success on the road. If it is the track training that has brought about this return to form then I really, really hope he keeps it as part of his schedule.

Brullnux said:
samhocking said:
Exactly. Look at the more extreme move from Viviani on Boudat. He took him all the way down onto the cote d'azur

That was in no way more extreme. Viviani was always on his shoulder and came down gradually, whereas Cavendish swooped almost perpendicular into the Korean.

Watch some actual racing in a real velodrome, your opinion doesn't match the reality commissairs actually judge this incident by.

Re:

samhocking said:
There is no way you ride into someone on purpose at that speed with banking, knowing it will be to your advantage. Have any of you even raced scratch racing on a velodrome?

I,d have thought if you are prepared for the impact you can stay on the bike and ride away - just like douchebag Cavendish.

So why no celebrations after the race - he got silver ?? because he knew he,d cocked up big time....deliberate on all counts ! he should have been disqualified...he's a disgrace.

You've got a fragile disc wheel on the back. You can't possibly know what's going to happen to it using it to take someone out. Go and ride a scratch race and realise there is no way on earth you can make that move on purpose unless you're mental. He had Silver in the bag already, he was only helping the Denmark rider & Viviani by neutralising the race at that point.

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
There is no way you ride into someone on purpose at that speed with banking, knowing it will be to your advantage. Have any of you even raced scratch racing on a velodrome?
so , a person should not be dsq because he didn't want to cause a crash? I don't care if he wanted to do it or not. it was an incident that could have been avoided and it was cav's fault.

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site

samhocking said:
Brullnux said:
samhocking said:
Exactly. Look at the more extreme move from Viviani on Boudat. He took him all the way down onto the cote d'azur

That was in no way more extreme. Viviani was always on his shoulder and came down gradually, whereas Cavendish swooped almost perpendicular into the Korean.

Watch some actual racing in a real velodrome, your opinion doesn't match the reality commissairs actually judge this incident by.
so if a judge says something, he is always right?

That's not how it works. This isn't road racing, it's completely different.

What are youi gonna do have a team of commis looking at every single rider and pull out each rider that crosses the line of another? Stop using road racing rules and applying it to scratch racing, they're not applicable because you have riders attacking, following and resting all at the same time, not like a road race sprint where everyone is full-gas to the line.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
You can't disqualify someone for causing a crash accidentally. Crashes happen in every race (especially in a race like the points race), all the riders accept that all it takes is a reckless or careless move and they will hit the deck.

Re:

glassmoon said:
oh, the blind fanboyism is too damn strong within this thread

I would say the same for any rider that caused a crash in a points race thanks. I'm not a fan of Cav. I think he's a jumped up little squirt, but too many posting crap here like they've been watching points racing all their lives and think what Cav did is somehow a big deal? It's not. It's a crash in a points race and it happens all the time.

What possible advantage would it be for Cav to have caused that crash?

1. How does it gain him anything by neutralising the race just after the Denmark rider has put in that massive effort. He's basically given him his Bronze neutralizing the race for a start.

2. As the crash was not to Cav's advantage, what advantage was he trying to get by causing a crash into a rider not even anywhere near him in the points?

3. At that point in the race, Cav needed the race to be full-gas. Crashing is not full-gas!

Pricey_sky said:
As is the blind hatred by those who aren't fans of his, baying for blood over a clumsy mistake that is quite common on the track.

It was stupid, he was given a warning and the strongest guy still won.
"Blind hatred" - why polarise the argument?
With less luck, Viviani would've been out. If Cavendish then won, would you be OK with that?
This action deserved more than a warning. He took out three guys and caused the race to be neutralised.

TRENDING THREADS