• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/philippa-york-analysing-mark-cavendishs-tour-de-yorkshire-sprints/

""I bottled it a bit actually, simple as. I had Bernie and Renshaw so I was quite excited. Then Bernie went a little early so I dropped back a bit and knew they would carry on. I found myself on Dan Maclay's wheel and thought 'perfect he'll go early'. But he kind of didn't go and I didn't react. I hesitated by which point we got swamped and I thought 'I can't do that *** any more'.

"I then went to go down the right and I was hesitant. Contrary to popular belief I don't go down barriers, and if I go down close to the barriers and someone comes from the other side of the road somehow I'm at fault so I don't really go down on the barriers. And then that was that. I hesitated a bit longer than I should have anticipated when Dan didn't go. I should have got the jump."

It's clear that from the opening two stages in Yorkshire that Cavendish's form is on track. The fitness is there, importantly, but the confidence needed for that last push towards the line is still a work in progress. It's coming though."

I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this, but Cav, regardless of his current form, needs some young blood on his sprint train. Eisel and Renshaw were top class at their prime, but they are not the same anymore. And on multiple occasions this year, the Dimension Data train has failed in the crucial moment. Either for going too soon, for breaking apart ou from catching themselves up front with 3 or 2 km to go and then getting swamped by the rivals sprint trains.

Re:

Ricco' said:
I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this, but Cav, regardless of his current form, needs some young blood on his sprint train. Eisel and Renshaw were top class at their prime, but they are not the same anymore. And on multiple occasions this year, the Dimension Data train has failed in the crucial moment. Either for going too soon, for breaking apart ou from catching themselves up front with 3 or 2 km to go and then getting swamped by the rivals sprint trains.
nah man, he needs to retire finally. :eek:

therealthing said:
So much for wanting to sprint today. A DNF. I didn't watch- does anyone know what happened?

There was a couple of big hills early on, and he's been struggling with climbing all week. EF shredded the field trying to drop/isolate Pogacar, and must've triggered a gruppetto. No sense in Cav continuing after that and he must've figured getting to LAX early was the best strategy.

42x16ss said:
Screecher said:
This is the end. There's no way DD will give him a contract for next year.
They can't. The only thing he's done since 2013 is have a good TDF in 2016. They're best off going after someone like Jakobsen, Philipsen, Hodeg, or even Sam Bennett and using the change from Cav's salary to get a talented neo pro.
Can't see Jakobsen leaving QST or Philipsen leaving UAE. Don't have high hopes for Hodeg tbh. Sam Bennett could be a steal.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
42x16ss said:
Screecher said:
They can't. The only thing he's done since 2013 is have a good TDF in 2016. They're best off going after someone like Jakobsen, Philipsen, Hodeg, or even Sam Bennett and using the change from Cav's salary to get a talented neo pro.
Can't see Jakobsen leaving QST or Philipsen leaving UAE. Don't have high hopes for Hodeg tbh. Sam Bennett could be a steal.
With Viviani and Gaviria ahead of them in their respective teams, I wouldn't be surprised. Especially with Gaviria only being a couple of years older than Philipsen.

42x16ss said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
42x16ss said:
Screecher said:
With Viviani and Gaviria ahead of them in their respective teams, I wouldn't be surprised. Especially with Gaviria only being a couple of years older than Philipsen.

Philipsen isn't ready for that role yet. He isn't even a pure sprinter to begin with. As for Jakobsen, he's clearly won out over Hodeg, and for a team like Quickstep, there are a lot of chances for Jakobsen (who isn't the finished article yet either) to compete, as one of two sprinters. Quickstep always had more than one sprinter, and they usually won more than at other teams.

TRENDING THREADS