• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sure he has plenty of money put away. He had to make millions over his career. Unfortunately it's looking more and more that he'll never get to top level again, perhaps not even one last victory. I hope that's not true.

Look at Petacchi, he did not win a race between 2012 and 2014 but then crossed the line in first position at GP Pino Cerami. Maybe not the biggest race to win but shows that even after two years of mostly leadout duties he still could win.

Cavendish was never going to sprint in the final stage with GC in the balance - His form is looking solid, but it's a matter of whether he still has the top end speed - Think we'll find out more in the classics.
At least he's finishing races with the lead group now. 6 months ago he couldn't finish a stage race.

I suspect Cav is just happy to be useful ATM.

At least he's finishing races with the lead group now. 6 months ago he couldn't finish a stage race.

I suspect Cav is just happy to be useful ATM.

Some guys are just happy to be a procyclist. Maybe he doesn't need to have top results anymore to enjoy his job. I can see him becoming a leadout man and domestique and continue for another 3 or 4 years in a lesser role and steadily diminishing role.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Cav's targets for the year will be amended as he's not made the GB Olympics track team - though the Beeb think he still might make the road race team!!

I believe he wants to prove his value as a domestique, I for my part believe he can will an outstanding support rider the next few years. If everything goes right on a given day maybe he can even win some stages in smaller races, below the WT level of course. But I would guess that winning isn't a priority for him anymore

I believe he wants to prove his value as a domestique, I for my part believe he can will an outstanding support rider the next few years. If everything goes right on a given day maybe he can even win some stages in smaller races, below the WT level of course. But I would guess that winning isn't a priority for him anymore

During the offseason he stated that he was looking to prove he can still win and that Ellensworth (sp?) said that Cav knew this.

He's performing better than last year so ai have hope.

Why? Given the rules in the Olympics, it's not unusual for a country to select a track rider for the road race. Provides an extra spot on the track. Germany did it four years ago, Netherlands might do it this year with van Schip.
Cav isn't eligible for the track - he needed to race the last World Cup or the Track World Champs to qualify - he wasn't selected.

Also, GB has a reasonable contender in Yates and only 4 spots - 2 of whom are going to ride the TT. They're not going to waste a spot on a track rider.

Cav isn't eligible for the track - he needed to race the last World Cup or the Track World Champs to qualify - he wasn't selected.

Also, GB has a reasonable contender in Yates and only 4 spots - 2 of whom are going to ride the TT. They're not going to waste a spot on a track rider.

GB may only use one one rider in the ITT to give them more flexibility which apparently what Australia is doing - Having the RR before the ITT complicates matters.

TRENDING THREADS